News   Jun 17, 2024
 319     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 305     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 454     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

Keep in mind that CDPQi has not released the detailed design specs yet, in terms of how the stations will be laid out. The final plan may very well change from what you are seeing today, possibly with additional stations and even an underground alignment for downtown. This has been the case with REM-A as well - they made significant changes post public consultation.
One can only hope. They did add connections with the metro after consultations for the original REM. Hopefully they're as open now... That's exactly why people like me need to actively participate in consultations. I live in the Centre-Sud neighbourhood and I have a lot to say!

The real problem with REM de l'Est is really that it doesn't integrate with any of the mass transit network downtown, not even the original REM. It simply doesn't make sense... It also doesn't serve any underserved areas until it reaches the end of the Green or the Blue metro lines, which is the very ends of the REM project.
Not withstanding the fact that the current map is FAR from the final design and alignment (Caisse and QC government have stated this many, many times and they are open to change via the current public consultation), the system already has 2 direct integration points in the existing design with the Green Line Metro. One explicit purpose of the REM-B is partly to off-set peak ridership demand on the Metro Green Line on the east end.

Also, for those asking for some version of Eglinton LRT... that's just not going to happen, at least not under CDPQi. CDPQi's clear mandate is to design, finance, build, and operate a high frequency, rapid, and automated transit system in the Greater Montreal Area. That has always been their mandate since the announcement of REM-A in 2016. Their mandate is not to be a replacement for the STM and start operating trams and streetcars. I feel like people should really pay a little attention to the context of Montreal and Quebec transport planning before applying Toronto-like comparisons to Montreal.

I feel like people should really pay a little attention to the context of Montreal and Quebec transport planning before applying Toronto-like comparisons to Montreal.
In a forum about Toronto, a discussion about other places is invariably going to be through a Toronto lens. In the same way that discussions here are often through an urban lens.

Automation is what gets a good return on investment and why the CDPQi doesn't care much with higher initial infrastructure costs. Higher ridership and lean operating costs is where it's at.
We are probably 10 years away from fully automated street level LRTs.

Not withstanding the fact that the current map is FAR from the final design and alignment (Caisse and QC government have stated this many, many times and they are open to change via the current public consultation), the system already has 2 direct integration points in the existing design with the Green Line Metro. One explicit purpose of the REM-B is partly to off-set peak ridership demand on the Metro Green Line on the east end.
As I said in the comment you quoted: It lacks integration downtown. There is currently no issues with peak ridership on the green line east of Berri-UQAM, and REM is not designed to offload the metro. If that was the case, why would they plan on running 2 car trainsets?

I understand that they might change the alignment and the design (although, do you seriously believe they'll do any major changes?!), but for now those are the maps we have been presented, and I think it's fair to comment on them until they show something different. The current design doesn't make sense. They came up with interesting plans in the east end to integrate with the metro (Assomption, Lacordaire, Honoré-Beaugrand), why can't they do the same downtown?

"Saint-Urbain" station is planned to be located at the corner of René-Lévesque and Saint-Laurent (which is actually 3 blocks east of Saint-Urbain). There's nothing at this intersection. It's the entrance to Chinatown and a hotel... What if it was located 2-3 blocks west as well, right between Complexe Desjardins and Complexe Guy-Favreau? It could have connections to RÉSO, the convention centre, the largest federal government building in Montreal, Place-des-Arts and a shopping mall. Wouldn't that make more sense?
It's pretty clear that they picked those locations along René-Lévesque because there are unbuilt lots on which it will be easy for them to build station entrance buildings.

rementrances.JPG
remcartier.JPG
remlabelle.JPG
remsturbain.JPG

I understand that they might change the alignment and the design (although, do you seriously believe they'll do any major changes?!)
No, I definitely don't. The only way I see it changing drastically is if being elevated garners enough blowback for the provincial government to 'direct' them to make changes (and with CAQ having really no seats in Montreal that's pretty unlikely).

Reactions: Xav
There is still the frequency even with LRT automation due to crossings. Less frequency means longer trains, longer stations etc.

Yes but the entire point im making is that for the area the tunneling on this project is doing, at great expense, there isnt the ridership nor frequency requirement to demand its use. The only reason they are tunneling is because they know the blowback they will get from elevation. The only reason they considered elevating prior to tunneling is because they want to keep the line completely automated.

It's pretty clear that they picked those locations along René-Lévesque because there are unbuilt lots on which it will be easy for them to build station entrance buildings.

View attachment 317269 View attachment 317270View attachment 317273 View attachment 317271
Of course RL makes the most sense for REM-B.

Anyone who walks or drives on RL knows that it's currently an urban 6-8 lane highway that has zero appeal to pedestrians or cyclists, along with a couple of empty lots and private parking lots as shown in the aerial photos. I honestly cannot see how RL can get any worse than how it is laid out today, with or without the REM-B. This isn't NYC Park Avenue.

Of course RL makes the most sense for REM-B.

Anyone who walks or drives on RL knows that it's currently an urban 6-8 lane highway that has zero appeal to pedestrians or cyclists, along with a couple of empty lots and private parking lots as shown in the aerial photos. I honestly cannot see how RL can get any worse than how it is laid out today, with or without the REM-B. This isn't NYC Park Avenue.
Of course it makes sense... I think the debate is more between aerial/underground and regarding integration of the station with their surroundings... Building stations on empty lots is a way to save money, not to facilitate integration for riders, and that's deplorable and illustrative of this entire project.

Speaking to a legislative committee, Harout Chitilian, vice-president of CDPQ Infra, said no fewer that 50 scenarios for the route had been considered and the project was constantly under review. He added that there remains three years to determine what form the expansion will finally take.

Back