Modern Condos, The (Empire Communities) - Real Estate -

Thoughts?

So it's been a year or more since occupancy, if anyone who bought in the Modern still keeps an eye on this thread, would you care to share your thoughts on the building? Would you buy there again? Looked at some pretty decent 1BR+den resale units in there this week and am seriously contemplating making a move (for living, not investment).

Last edited:
I'm renting here ("The Modern") while waiting for my pre-con condo to be ready for occupancy. We have a 1 bed + den. It's fine for what it is, but there are some things I really dislike about the place and I'd caution anyone considering buying here as a place to live to think seriously about these issues:
1) HVAC - there is a central "chiller" providing cooling/ A/C and "boiler" providing heating. They don't work in tandem - you get either A/C OR heat and the property manager decides when to make the switch. Seems like an incredibly poor idea for a modern building (my car can do heat or A/C at anytime, or even blow warn air with the A/C on). If you are on the west side (as about 1/2 the units seem to be) you could roast all winter, and if you're on the east side you could freeze during the "shoulder seasons" when the building has turned off the heat to activate the A/C. Again - really DUMB HVAC design. Will be sure to check from now on that any future homes have individual heat pumps.
2) This also relates to the HVAC design; in our unit there is a ventilation bulkhead spanning the length of the window wall, effectively blocking the top 12" of the windows. This makes it feel like the unit's ceiling is even lower than it actually is.
3) Moss Park area. What a difference a block makes. The Queen/Sherbourne area is very sketchy as there are a number of shelters for street people in close proximity. Waiting for the street car you mix it up with a very wide selection of humanity.

Back