News   Jul 17, 2024
 79     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 705     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 611     0 

MLSE paints illegal sidewalk ads

I find the term "Maple Leafs" to be offensive, as is seeing these ads (even if it's just in pictures).

Maple Leaf Nation is really no different than any other religion... just a bunch of sheep following the herd while everyone else looks down upon them shaking their heads. I do find it funny that a lot of my Leaf supporting friends still watch wrestling, I don't have the heart to tell them that wrestling isn't real and the Leafs will never be a decent hockey club in this lifetime.

What would you say about Red Sox (Pre 2004), or Cubs fans? Those two franchises went nearly a century without a championship.

And Cubs fans are still living through their championship drought. Not to mention the countless european soccer clubs that have existed for much of the century without winning a championship. Being a fan means being supportive in the up and the downs and it's a very North American mentality that you should only support a winner.

i thought this was a hilarious response to the stencils: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...2009/11/12/spotted-outside-union-station.aspx

leafsadraptors.jpg

These damn things are everywhere downtown now. Tonight I even noticed two on the sidewalk in front of Wellesley subway station. ARG!

^What exactly have they won?

it's just a funny response. besides, the statement simply comments on one club's obvious desire to win over one's compensation in the lack of success.

you don't have to be champions to prefer winning over "spirit."

^What exactly have they won?
It's the desire of the fanbase, nothing more.

The Leaf fans have to hang their hat on spirit, while Raptor fans have their sights set higher - ie: trying to win something.

When the team doesn't win - or at least put a competitive team on the court - fans vote with their feet, unlike the sheep who follow the Leafs and sell out games no matter what.

Anther pic from yesterday's Now Magazine
http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.cfm?content=172356

streetview_lrg1.jpg

Last edited:
for some reason most advertising of corporate sports franchises bugs me... visual pollution to my eyes. I hated the blue Leafs logos painted outside the ACC. As I mentioned in that other thread, I find it disturbing that you can get a custom Ontario license plate for your car that carries any of the Leafs/Raptors/Bluejays logos. Nothing screams "white trash" like them.

Back