News   Jul 31, 2024
 722     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 700     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 526     0 

MLSE & Bon Jovi to Pursue NFL/Buffalo Bills

^ Rogers trying their hardest to kill them sure doesn't help.

And the NFL has said that if they were to come to Toronto the Argos would have to be taken care of as well.

I would enjoy a 2024 olympic bid with the stadium being used for the NFL, maybe have it completed for 2020 or 2021, and just convert it temporarily for the games a few years after opening. Toronto could offer a great games, and the stadium could have a very solid use post 2024, which is hard to do with 60-80,000 seat stadiums.

Including the use for a potential 2026 FIFA World Cup bid

Buffalo is too small to have any impact on the NFL US contract.. and yes the NFL would get more for a TO team.

I always laugh at those who want to protect the CFL yet you can't draw flies to the Argos games... if the CFL depends on Toronto, then the league is f*k*d period. It will probably be because of the NFL coming to Toronto that saves the Argos anyways it seems. Rogers will buy them, promise to keep them afloat. the CFL keeps the team, the NFL backers get their wish. everyone is happy.

I don't think you'll find too many locals wanting to pay to support the Bills. I wouldn't even take free tickets for a Bills game, doing anything to support Buffalo just hurts our chances at a team. But I'll be the first to plunk down my dough for an NFL Toronto team tho. Personally I don't think the NFL looks at these games as being critical to TO getting a team. The only way we get a team is if it's the Bills (or somehow the Bills move elsewhere and there is no regional team). Everyone is just waiting ghoulishly for Wilson to drop dead. Until then nothing will happen anyways.

Totally agree. I'll never step foot in Ralph Wilson stadium again, and I don't attend the games up here. But if it becomes Toronto's team, I'd be getting season tickets as well. As for the poor turnout up here, my guess is, only half of the potential fanbase like the Bills, so they're only drawing on half our potential.

As for Wilson passing away, even if he did tomorrow, we wouldn't see them move here until 2020 - Erie county has a deal keeping them there until then and the penalty to break it is something like 400 million.

As for the CFL, it's virtually dead in Toronto - because of the NFL - but it's very popular out west. In my dream world, someone buys the Bills for TO, the Argos are sold and moved to the east Coast and renamed, and the NFL TO team takes the Argo name.

F*ck that, NFL is boring and the Argos are the oldest football team in the world. That would be the worst case scenario.

So you'd prefer the Argos just die off and go bankrupt? They don't make money now, and won't in the future. This way the legacy lives on at least.

And why exactly is the CFL 'exciting' but the NFL isn't? Same game at the end of the day.

F*ck that, NFL is boring and the Argos are the oldest football team in the world. That would be the worst case scenario.

Tiger-cats are older. Argos are from 1873, Tiger-cats evolved out of the Hamilton Tigers from 1869. They are the second oldest though.

So you'd prefer the Argos just die off and go bankrupt? They don't make money now, and won't in the future. This way the legacy lives on at least.

And why exactly is the CFL 'exciting' but the NFL isn't? Same game at the end of the day.

It's not even that close to the same game. But that's the opinion of certain arrogant individuals who think they know everything. (Not saying you are)

99% of the CFL fans I know like both leagues. They are fans of football. Unlike some of the recent posters here, who are all caught up in the glitz and galmore of the NFL, and don't know shit really about football in general other than "this guy got yards last week so i'm picking him in my pool". But choosing to really dis-respect a league uniquely Canadian league, well because.... You don't know anything about it? "It must not be good because the players make more money" Yeah, Well, Justin Bieber probably makes more money then your favourite musician. Does that mean he's better? If that's your logic that I guess so.

I'm not going to argue semantics. Are there better athletes in the NFL? Yes. But the dynamic of those who are not the top 20% of the NFL becomes much more blurred.
There is also LOTS of players that fall though the cracks, was not drafted because of whatever reason, played a small school, was overlooked, attending training camp with an NFL team that already has "their guy" at a certain position.

But again, if you don't like or don't watch something, why do people choose to put it down? Especially when in comes of "Hating the CFL. Especially when these people don't know anything about it. Some people even go so far as wanting the league to die? Why? With 25ish Canadian players per team, + Front office, + football ops, then everything from TV production and whatnot, your looking about 2000+ jobs. So people who want the CFL to fail also want the Canadian economy to suffer and put people out of jobs? Awesome.

As for the Toronto Argonauts. Getting kicked out of Rogers Centre is the best thing for them. It's not a football venue. I don't want to goto a game and stair at someones head. The slope of the seats is what kills it. Regardless of where the Argo's play in the next few seasons it has already been reported that this "Money losing franchise" will make money with the TV deal. With a proper CFL sized stadium on the horizon, the Argo's will be around for quite a while.

A true football fan can identify the differences in styles between the two games. Just like a true hockey fan can tell the differences between North American hockey and European hockey because of the larger ice size. Sure, the two types of hockey are probably more similar than the two types of football, but it's the best analogy I could think of.

In any case, what I find odd isn't so much that NFL fans don't follow the CFL, but the way that so many NFL fans have such hostile, hate filled feelings towards the CFL. They want nothing more than for the pesky Argos to just get out of the way. What they fail to understand is that it's that hostility that's keeping the NFL away. The NFL wants football fans, not fans who only support one league. The former are a solid foundation for a franchise, the latter are fickle and their support is unpredictable. I'm sure the NFL is keenly aware of the lukewarm support for the Blue Jays and Raptors these days after being the talk of the town in the past.

The Argos aren't going anywhere. The team will have a new source of revenue with the new, richer TSN deal. It's still only a tenth the annual size of the Rogers NHL deal, but it's still significant. The Argos get good TV ratings, better than NFL games get. They may be the weakest team in the CFL financially, but that doesn't mean they aren't viable.

As for the Toronto Argonauts. Getting kicked out of Rogers Centre is the best thing for them. It's not a football venue. I don't want to goto a game and stair at someones head. The slope of the seats is what kills it. Regardless of where the Argo's play in the next few seasons it has already been reported that this "Money losing franchise" will make money with the TV deal. With a proper CFL sized stadium on the horizon, the Argo's will be around for quite a while.
Agreed, the sooner the Argos move to a more intimate stadium designed for football the better. SkyDome is a horrible football stadium. I'm sure that doesn't help the Bills either.

Last edited:
today

kFuA0JM.png

CFL- Black & White cathode ray tube with no sound

NFL- 80-inch LCD with 7-channel surround

Why would anyone prefer the former if given the option?

Shall we go back to the horse and buggy as well just because it's a form of transportation?

Last edited:
CFL- Black & White cathode ray tube with no sound

NFL- 80-inch LCD with 7-channel surround

Why would anyone prefer the former if given the option?

Shall we go back to the horse and buggy as well just because it's a form of transportation?

What, in my comment, made you think I was making a CFL v NFL comparison....was simply commenting that people who are there are tweeting about the empty seats all around the Dome.

Back