News   Jul 03, 2024
 575     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1.3K     4 

miWay Transit

Strange, but as long as you don't mind limited stop service, Hurontario Street north of Highway 401 has pretty good service now, between MT 103, BT 502 and the BT 2 and MT 19 covering part of that corridor. I only wish that BT improved service on the 502 to minimum 15 minute frequencies at all times.

I wish 2/19/103/502 was really a combined service. Unfortunately it's not thanks to the dumb fare arrangement (or lack thereof). Hopefully, when and if the LRT is built we won't have to deal this stupidity any more.

I wish 2/19/103/502 was really a combined service. Unfortunately it's not thanks to the dumb fare arrangement (or lack thereof). Hopefully, when and if the LRT is built we won't have to deal this stupidity any more.

Yes, the LRT will fix that problem. In the meantime, Brampton and Mississauga should have a common fare structure, with a common weekly/monthly pass arrangement. With free transfers between the systems and the Presto card, it's not too hard to set up; prior to YRT, Vaughan, Markham and Richmond Hill had a common fare structure (tickets, transfers and passes), including the GO Yonge "C" local.

Dixie, Kennedy, McLaughlin, Mavis and Mississauga Roads should also have better integrated services as well. I really want to see Mississauga extend the 51 Tomken to Steeles Avenue (or Bramalea City Centre) too.

Last edited:
Yes, the LRT will fix that problem. In the meantime, Brampton and Mississauga should have a common fare structure, with a common weekly/monthly pass arrangement. With free transfers between the systems and the Presto card, it's not too hard to set up; prior to YRT, Vaughan, Markham and Richmond Hill had a common fare structure (tickets, transfers and passes), including the GO Yonge "C" local.

Dixie, Kennedy, McLaughlin, Mavis and Mississauga Roads should also have better integrated services as well. I really want to see Mississauga extend the 51 Tomken to Steeles Avenue (or Bramalea City Centre) too.

Come 2015, there could be no passes for MT and deal with the current issues. I don't know what the plan is for the senior passes at this time, especially the yearly one. Could be like the current method with X trips.

All MT routes need to run up to Steeles as noted as well others places so there is better integration between the 2 systems to make it more seamless. Can't see 51 going to Bramalea City Centre as it too costly to do so, but provides another option for Brampton riders to get there.

51 Tomken is a no-brainer. It's a short route, it can be extended to Bramalea City Centre easily. Plus, it serves no major stops, so the ridership sucks outside rush hour. And BT can't provide even half decent service along West Dr (BT route 10 is TERRIBLE). So an extended 51 would solve many problems.

BT route 10 is rush hour only, and serves a rather useless loop.

I'd like to see Route 51 go to BCC (perhaps a joint route, BT providing one or two buses) via West Drive and Clark, which would help rationalize the silly route 10 and 40 loops.

The route 40 at least allowed BT to run the 15 as a core grid route and extend it to Derry Road. It used to serve part of the 40's route.

Come November 17th, the 107 and 109 will be running 6 days a week.
107 will run from 5AM to 11PM, every 11-14 minutes during rush hours, every 15 minutes during the midday and every 20 in the evening. Service is provided to Humber save for early morning trips.

109 will run from 4:30AM to 11:30PM, every 10-14 minutes during rush hours*, every 15-16 minutes during midday and every 24-25 minutes in the evening hours.
*In the morning, there will be a jump in frequency (6-8 minutes) in the southbound direction due to additional buses heading to the subway to do the 108.

Service is reduced in both rush hour periods on the 26/76 as both routes lose a bus, resulting in a 15 minute frequency, from 13 minutes.

Saturday service on the 107 will be from 7AM to 10PM and on the 109 from 7:30AM to 10-30PM, every 21 minutes. Saturday service on the 107 ends at Westwood.

So 26/76 will be 7.5 minutes combined instead of 6.5 minutes. I guess that's not a big deal but still backwards. 26/76/86/206 ridership has been steadily declining since those protests. Probably not a coincidence

Because of the Hanlan Water Project so MT is using many extra buses for delays on those routes. By 2017, the Project will be finished so maybe then we will substantial service increases for transit. I can't wait.

GTA MOVE Network retweeted
City of Mississauga ‏@citymississauga 25m25 minutes ago

Orbitor Dr. between Skymark Ave. & Eglinton Ave. W. is closed until April 2015 due to transitway construction http://ow.ly/D3Rek

It's speaks volume about Miway when the 26 is the fastest way to reach Islington Station. On a good day, it'll take 35 minutes from Square One.

It's speaks volume about Miway when the 26 is the fastest way to reach Islington Station. On a good day, it'll take 35 minutes from Square One.

If you're talking from Sq One, then no, 109 is faster, although current construction probably slows it down.

For Burnhamthorpe 86/206 were faster but the ridership along Burnhamthorpe got killed after the protests in Etobicoke, which were even supported by NDP councillors including TTC Chair Howard Moscoe. So much for supporting the working class, eh? And so MT were also forced to reroute 86/206 (later 76) off of Burnhamthorpe onto 427 which made the buses even slower.

Today, the Burnhamthorpe ridership (26+76) is only like 70% of what it was before the protests (26+86). That's a huge drop in ridership, especially compared to the growth of the rest of the system

So you should blame the TTC, the City of Toronto, and the NDP for the shitty service along Burnhamthorpe.

Not that MT isn't to blame either. They really screwed up the Dundas Express for example. But I think the Burnhamthorpe thing was mostly out of their control. I think there is a lot bad planning there too. Not much commercial, little high density. It is mostly a corrdor of single-family detached houses. Hurontario, Dundas, Eglinton, Bloor are all better for transit.

So I don't think the poor service along Burnhamthorpe is due to lack of effort from MT. I mean, look at Dixie: that's mostly an industrial corridor and yet it one of the busiest transit corridors in 905 now. Where else in North America do you see post-war suburban industrial corridors with articulated buses passing by every 8 minutes? It is crazy. Brampton has its own busy industrial routes now, but Mississauga did it first. I don't think MT doesn't try. You don't get by far the highest ridership in the 905 through lack of effort. BT and YRT don't even come close.

Last edited by a moderator:
The operation cost of the LRT is part of today current service, but will be less as there will be fewer drivers require for the route as well fuel saving.

Listening to council on Wed Dec 3rd was refreshing as it was very pro transit than the past.

The mayor has request that the current Transportation council be looked at to allow public residents to sit on it.

Fare goes up April 27, 2015.

Cash fare goes up $.25

Adult Fares
In the adult category tickets will increase $0.10 per trip or $1.00 for 10 tickets
and the monthly pass will increase by $5. MiWay last increased the monthly
pass in 2012 and the proposed 2015 increase is comparable with other systems,
with TTC and York Region passes being higher priced and Brampton being
similar.

That child and student fare category definitions be changed effective April 27,
2015, to reflect ages 6-12 for child and 13-19 for high school students for
consistency and fare harmonization with other transit systems within the Greater
Toronto and Hamilton Area.

Staff recommends that these fare categories (high school student and child)
remain frozen for 2015.

That high school student monthly pass be discontinued effective July 1, 2015
following completion of the 2014/2015 academic year.

That the senior annual pass be discontinued effective January 1, 2016.

MT is asking for $475,000 for Customer Service operation with about $100,000-$125,000 going to 3 new position for the next 3 years.

Request has been made that another open house be held for the Transitway

Close to 600 Presto cards have been issues to the Seniors free.

The reliability of their 101/101A is getting really sucky - consistently late during the evening rush, and the detour to UTM is hardly being used, for the minutes it add to the trip (up and down Mississauga Rd).

AoD

Highlights from the 2015-2018 Business Plan & 2015 Budget for MiWay
  • Second Downtown Transit Terminal - To alleviate congestion at the City Centre Transit Terminal. (page 23)
  • rear door concrete bus pads with full platforms are being installed at stops (page 28)
  • Expansion of the Malton Facility in 2015 (page 28)
  • Proposed Initiative: Downtown Transitway Connection (page 41)
  • $5.5 million for the construction of a Kipling Subway Inter-Regional Terminal (page 42)

Highlights from the 2015-2018 Business Plan & 2015 Budget for MiWay
  • Second Downtown Transit Terminal - To alleviate congestion at the City Centre Transit Terminal. (page 23)
  • rear door concrete bus pads with full platforms are being installed at stops (page 28)
  • Expansion of the Malton Facility in 2015 (page 28)
  • Proposed Initiative: Downtown Transitway Connection (page 41)
  • $5.5 million for the construction of a Kipling Subway Inter-Regional Terminal (page 42)

Well, here is one thing they should remove from the "pressures" section:

The diesel fuel budget is being increased to bring it in line with prices paid during 2014, which is also the average price that is forecasted for 2014. The adjustment from $1.04 to $1.09 per litre for 2015 creates a $1 million pressure in the operating budget;

Back