News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Mississauga (non-mall) Retail

Orlando has been looking to use the Electolux building next to the new Wal-Mart for its retail expansion, so this may be where they'll put the outlet centre.

Orlando has been looking to use the Electolux building next to the new Wal-Mart for its retail expansion, so this may be where they'll put the outlet centre.

Oh interesting. Will Electrolux relocate then? Wouldn't an expansion by Heartland require a zoning amendment? And wouldn't Square One demand an expansion if Heartland gets it?

Square One specific (mall and its immediate outbuildings like LCBO, Whole Foods) discussion moved to the new Square One Retail Thread:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18751-Square-One-Retail-Thread

I plan to do the same for EMTC soon as well.

Does Heartland merit its own thread?

If anything Heartland probably needs its own more than EMTC based on how busy it is versus how totally dead EMTC is--though EMTC is apparently to start renovating this year.

Oh interesting. Will Electrolux relocate then? Wouldn't an expansion by Heartland require a zoning amendment? And wouldn't Square One demand an expansion if Heartland gets it?

Yes, they will relocate Electolux elsewhere on another site/property in the Heartland area. I beleive the rezoning process has already started. Oxford is already thinking about expanding Square One, so it seems that these two sites will go "head-to-head" in order to retain (and possibly) grow their respective market shares.

Yes, they will relocate Electolux elsewhere on another site/property in the Heartland area. I beleive the rezoning process has already started. Oxford is already thinking about expanding Square One, so it seems that these two sites will go "head-to-head" in order to retain (and possibly) grow their respective market shares.

Competition is great...though I'd say the big loser in that competition is EMTC.

I wonder if there's a rezoning application on the City of Missisauga website or something?

EDIT: Google is a friend: www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/2011CouncilAgenda_14Dec.pdf

On page 195-196, a letter dated October 26, 2011 from Orlando Corp.'s lawyers to the City of Missisauga:

Lands municipally known as 5855 Terry Fox Way and 850 Matheson Boulevard ought to be redesignated from 'Business Employment to 'Mixed Use". These sites, located within the East Credit Neighbourhood ought not to continue to be designated Business Employment. These lands are not located within an Employment Area. Policy 16.1.5.1 recognizes that such a designation in residential areas is not appropriate in the long term. Finally, the City has refused to
add mention of the East Credit Neighbourhood in Policy 17.1.4.1. These sites ought to be designated 'Mixed Use" and form part of the abutting Heartland Town Centre lands which straddle the East Credit Neighbourhood and Gateway Employment Area. The Plan needs to recognize the "Mixed Use" designation
within the East Credit Neighbourhood. The existing business employment uses on these lands ought to be recognized as a permitted use within the requested "Mixed Use" designation.

On a side note, on the topic of Heartland, their website reports the following new/coming stores:

MARCH 2, 2012
New Stores
Now Open at 6055 Mavis Road - Skechers
Now Open at 5985 Rodeo Drive - Tuxedo Junction
Now Open at 5935 Mavis Road - Pearle Vision
Now Open at 785 Britannia Road - Living Lighting Now Open at 905 Britannia Road- Laurier Optical Now Open at 600 Matheson Boulevard - Aeropostale Now open at 5955 Latimer Drive - Barburrito

MARCH 2, 2012
Coming Soon
775 Britannia Road: Bass
5935 Mavis Road: Panera Bread
6045 Mavis Road: Five Guys Burger & Fries
6055 Mavis Road: Justice
6075 Mavis Road: Ardene
5885 Rodeo Drive: The Source
5985 Rodeo Drive: Sundance Spas

Last edited:
I disagree. There is enough activity to warrant its own thread and it would just make it harder to find the Mississauga-specific posts.

I disagree. There is enough activity to warrant its own thread and it would just make it harder to find the Mississauga-specific posts.

There really isn't enough activity to warrant it's own thread. Take out all of the mall related posts out of this thread, and it would be very few posts.

There really isn't enough activity to warrant it's own thread. Take out all of the mall related posts out of this thread, and it would be very few posts.

There are still 19 pages of posts after Square One posts were moved to a new thread. EMTC probably won't warrant a thread of its own but, even if it did, there are relatively few posts. I'd say that still leaves more than enough posts.

I disagree for the opposite reason. I'm interested in Toronto retail news, not Mississauga. I can't think of any compelling reason to merge the threads.

This forum is meant to serve the entire Toronto area, just as threads in the Developments forum are not for Toronto only buildings.
So, having one non mall retail thread for the entire GTA is fine. I live in Toronto, and don't generally care much for what retail is being built on some corner in Oakville, but I can easily just not read that post.

This forum is meant to serve the entire Toronto area, just as threads in the Developments forum are not for Toronto only buildings.
So, having one non mall retail thread for the entire GTA is fine. I live in Toronto, and don't generally care much for what retail is being built on some corner in Oakville, but I can easily just not read that post.

The analogy to the developments forum is a poor one as the developments are divided by individual building or project. The correct analogy would be in response to a request that Mississauga have its own retail forum which no one is asking. Mississauga does not need its own forum but a non-mall retail thread is certainly justified based on the number of non-mall posts already on it. Skipping threads that are not of interest is a lot more efficient than scrolling through a massive thread of all non-mall GTA topics to pick out the ones of interest.

Back