News   May 13, 2024
 736     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 748     0 

Mississauga City Centre Update - June 2006

Just because we built a sidewalk equals future road expansion in the future? Give me a break already!

Hurontario and Confederation are two different roads that serve or will serve different needs.

Also, how could you possibily drive by when the road isn't even open yet? Shop? Where? There isn't even anything located on the road yet. Less than a year ago it was swamp land?

Let's all sit back and relax already.

Louroz

I think this thread has shown why it is pointless to discuss anything about Mississauga on this forum.

doady,

You haven't been around long enough.

I recall a time when I was the only Mississauga voice on this forum and it was an uphill battle to get people to give the city a chance to grow and mature. We have come a long way since.

Louroz

I don't think its futile to discuss Mississauga here. But not many here know mississuaga without General Hazel, hence, I doubt most think that any real progress can be made with her still in power. Missy needs some fresh blood, an mayor that is more of a transit champion, willing to take the initiative, even if that means going in debt. Missy needs to grow a backbone (and I don't mean further attacks on Toronto, Hazel already does enough of that) and have a real ambitious plan. I lived in Missy for 16 years, and when I go back, whats changed? Road widenings, taller buildings, increased traffic. Whats not changed, the transit system. I still wouldn't take the bus anywhere from my parents house yet their area has seen the residetial population explode with higher density housing.

And its not like Hazel hasn't done her part causing a rift between her and 416. I can understand an undertow of resentiment some may have against her.

And I said driven by the sites, not through.

It's still a work in progress, and I consider it to be an exceptionally interesting one. No other suburb that I know of is taking an already half-built area and trying to turn it around, to create not just a real urban space, but a city centre. It doesn't look like that yet, but you won't recognize it in five more yeas, just as you wouldn't recognize the present place from five years ago.

The City Centre is being developed to a density comparable to Cityplace in Toronto, and (IMO) already is beginning to look nicer. I'd like to see this kind of thinking in other suburban municipalities. Unfortunately it seems to be a long time coming.

The Yonge corridor in NY was already relatively urban, with storefronts along Yonge. The NYCC is basically intensification and redevelopment. No real comparison to MCC at all.

How many of you have actually visited the site in the pictures?

I have walked by it. The development in the area is far from complete, so it is more than a little early to judge the area as an urban failure.

The City Centre is being developed to a density comparable to Cityplace in Toronto, and (IMO) already is beginning to look nicer

Thats great that developers are creating their own communities to further develop areas like MCC and port Credit, but what is the city doing? By passing bylaws/approving developments with some negotiations is rather passive, as oppose to trying to service these areas with transit/making it a livable city. Now you have residential density, but how will these be an attractive place to live when these developements like Daniels and the Absolute buiildings are completed, and smack, you have all these people living there. The municipal gov't has to be more aggressive in their transit plans/actions, vs. bitching about Toronto paying their share of the smart card, etc. When Hazels time is done being mayor, shes going to leave the city centre bursting at the seams. New offices have not been attracted there, and the LRT plans are probably atleast a decade away.

Its time mississauga take out some debt to improve infrastructure. The property taxes on the new condos in the in MCC should be enough to cover payments. The property taxes on 10,000 units alone, at $2,000 a year equats $20 million a year. You spend $250-500MM on a LRT system, plus kick the province and Feds during construction so that they can be there at the ribbon cutting/shovels in the ground ceremonies and bam, the numbers start becoming a reality. Considering Mississauga is currently debt free, and they would be able to get the best financing rates, its not a bad play. The only battle is stubbornness, with its foundations that started back in 1978 which started off as sound fiscal practice, is now a roadblock. Just like the cliche, it takes money to make money.

NYCC is not as different from Miss. as you think. They are both low density suburban areas that are experience=ing higher density growth. NYCC is denser, and its saving grace is that it is on the subway line, but it is still windswept and car-based. MCC is just a more recent development and hasn't developed the mass of towers that NYCC has. What they are both missing is denser but smaller scale housing and commercial developments (and no I don't mean the strip-mall style stuff) that would really make it more of an urban fabric.

Being created through intensification, NYCC resembles a real downtown, while MCC doesn't.

Personally to me NYCC's only saving grace is the line of 2 storey commercial buildings lining Yonge and some of the civic initiatives from the Mel Lastman years. The towers and such that have popped up I find neutral, neither enhancing nor detracting from the area.

I haven't been to Mississauga city centre in a long time so I don't feel qualified to comment. But there are many examples of nodal developments coming on stream elsewhere in the GTA. It will be interesting to compare MCC with Markham or the new Vaughn centre in the future where unabashed sprawl planning will rub up against subway infrastructure.

NYCC doesn't really *feel* like a real downtown either.

IMO, the problem with NYCC, MCC and the like is the degree of incoherence among the building projects, particularly with regards to urban design. Stylistically, these projects often vie for attention when viewed afar, while neglecting pedestrian level experience. These centres are also remarkably interchangable - by and large, the sense of identity is lacking.

AoD

It resembles one MUCH more than MCC does. The buildings touch the sidewalk, for example. There are no towers-in-the-park along Yonge.

Back