News   Jun 06, 2024
 390     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 413     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 658     0 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

I just realized that Mississauga has 3/4 of a proper Daniel Burnham civic centre going for it. I mean, there's the public square, there's the library to the west and there's the city hall to the north - all of which bear some architectural resemblance to one another. I hope they complete it in time with another yellow brick PoMo civic building to the immediate east.

from today
20110129024.jpg

20110129021.jpg

There's gotta be something that can be done to add some pizzazz to the square... to really make it a destination.

There's gotta be something that can be done to add some pizzazz to the square... to really make it a destination.

This is done with programming i.e. what events they run / the events.

Other then that it'd be green space which is useless in the summer and there are other parks nearby that are great.

I also feel that the GTA needs to do a better job at designing public spaces/squares with the Winter in mind. Dundas Square in the Summer Time is packed and animated with programs etc (despite what some may think of its design) however in the winter it could very well be an un-plowed parking lot. I worry that this square in Mississauga will be another missed opportunity to have an accessible public space that is animated all year long.

I also feel that the GTA needs to do a better job at designing public spaces/squares with the Winter in mind. Dundas Square in the Summer Time is packed and animated with programs etc (despite what some may think of its design) however in the winter it could very well be an un-plowed parking lot. I worry that this square in Mississauga will be another missed opportunity to have an accessible public space that is animated all year long.

Except that Dundas Square really has nothing to do during the winter, whereas Mississauga's Celebration Square will have a massive skating rink that takes up most of the North end of the square. The South end of the square has the new library extension, which will house a cafe/food services. If thats not year round animation, I don't know what is...

Last edited:

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/discover/mississaugacelebrationsquare

"GTA's Newest Destination
Located outside of Mississauga City Hall in the downtown core, Mississauga Celebration Square is a vibrant, state-of-the-art, public space that is sure to become one of the premiere event destinations in the Greater Toronto Area.

The newly renovated Mississauga Celebration Square will be host to a dynamic line-up of free year-round events, festivals, programs, and activities that showcase eclectic arts, cultural diversity, and the spirit of the city"

For a number of reasons, I think the square will be a major success. I attended many of the spring/summer/fall events in the past and quite a few people attended, the revamped square will make it that much more enjoyable and will draw people in (or outside so-to-speak).
As per TUSCANI01, the library addition will be a people generator plus, in 2012, they will be moving the 12th floor City Hall Tower Cafe/Restaurant to the ground level facing the square. I'm looking forward to the new rink...

20110211010.jpg

20110211017.jpg

http://www.canadianarchitect.com/issues/story.aspx?aid=1000402621

DAILY NEWS Feb 17, 2011 4:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celebrate the Square: Call for Short Films

The City of Mississauga invites submissions for short silent films. The submission deadline is May 2, 2011, and there is no fee to enter. Up to $2,000 in prizes are available to be won. Selected films will be shown on the two 16' x 28' LED screens in Mississauga Celebration Square.
Mississauga Celebration Square, the city's downtown public square located adjacent to City Hall, is currently undergoing a $40-million renovation that includes two permanent large-format urban screens. The square attracts over 300,000 people annually, a figure that is expected to increase after the renovation.
This is an international open call for silent film, video and animation in all genres that is from one to three minutes in length. Work will be accepted from both professional filmmakers and emerging talent. Films must be new or never publicly screened in the Greater Toronto Area. Submissions should be made under one of the themes below. Maximum of one entry per theme:
Celebration: Squares, Smiles and Saris
Public Space: Moments, Meetings and Monuments
Wild Card: Show Us What You've Got
The jury will select a winner for each of the three themes, as well as up to 10 honourable mentions per theme, based on artistic and technical merit, originality and relevance to the themes and venue. From the three first-place winners, one grand prize of $1,000 will be awarded as well as two $500 first-place awards. The honourable mentions will each receive $100 and public screening of their work. If there is no submission of sufficient quality in a category, the jury has the sole discretion not to award a prize. All winners and honourable mentions will be required to enter into a License Agreement with the City of Mississauga.
Films deemed not appropriate for screening in the public square will not be eligible to win a prize.
The jury is comprised of: Sharon Switzer, Media Artist and Curator, Art for Commuters, on the Onestop TTC subway screens; Christof Migone, Curator, The Blackwood Gallery, University of Toronto Mississauga; Carmen Ford, Filming Liaison, Film and TV Office, Culture Division, City of Mississauga; Paola Poletto, Arts and Culture Supervisor, Culture Division, City of Mississauga; Finola Pearson, Manager, Celebration Square Events, City of Mississauga.
2011 is the inaugural year for the Celebration Square urban screens; Mississauga expects to host an open call for short films annually. The 2011 International Indian Film Academy Awards - the Oscars of Bollywood - will be held in Toronto, Mississauga and Brampton from June 16-19, 2011.
Winners will be announced in May/June 2011, followed by a premier screening in Summer 2011.
Only movie files on CD or Data DVD will be accepted; they must be sent to the address below. Please do not send "playable" DVDs. You must include your completed and signed submission form as a hard copy and as an MS Word file on disk.
Attn: Helena Grdadolnik
Celebrate the Square, Call for Short Films
Culture Division
4th Floor, Central Library
301 Burnhamthorpe Road West
Mississauga, Ontario
Canada L5B 3Y3
For more information, please visit www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/call_for_short_films.pdf, and for a copy of the submission form, please visit www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/submission_form.pdf. Contact Helena Grdadolnik with your questions at helena.grdadolnik@mississauga.ca

I love that filmfest idea!

Despite it's impressive skyline, and newer urban built-form, MCC sure lacks severely in Pedestrian Activity.
I mean, would it really kill someone to walk 3 blocks to Sq1 rather than go to your underground, get in your car, drive up to the street, navigate your way through a mall parking lot? Really?

Hopefully this lil filmfest will encourage people to walk to the new civic square. Isn't there usually a RibFest or something there too?

I love that filmfest idea!

Despite it's impressive skyline, and newer urban built-form, MCC sure lacks severely in Pedestrian Activity.
I mean, would it really kill someone to walk 3 blocks to Sq1 rather than go to your underground, get in your car, drive up to the street, navigate your way through a mall parking lot? Really?

What evidence do have that everyone is driving 3 blocks to Sq One and going thru all that trouble, especially considering the congestion there these days? You do realize the bus terminal there is one of the busiest in the GTA right?

What evidence do have that everyone is driving 3 blocks to Sq One and going thru all that trouble, especially considering the congestion there these days? You do realize the bus terminal there is one of the busiest in the GTA right?

Yep I've used it many times (407 GO Ham-MCC).

I don't have any evidence, no. I'm sure the City of Mississauga may (but probably not). I'm not trying to navigate through their website to find it,but if you do pass along the link. That would be great info to have!
I'm going with anecdotal evidence from my times in MCC. Either at Sq1, or walking around to kill time (I have a friend at Elm/Hurontario).
I know numbers rule, but my eyes don't lie!

meh, I'm in the area all the time ... it's rare to find anyone walking to square one yes ... it's not that rare to find people taking public transportation of some kind or another.

This isn't specific to MCC - you see it in parts of Toronto / many other cities; High densities don't lead to high pedestrian usage - or frankly any pedestrian usage whatsoever. Densities are part of that but from my experience a rather minor part.

Now getting back to MCC, you're bound to see changes in the future - with the push for more retail lined streets - all of that will help to a certain degree.
Anyway walking to square one isn't very practical even if you live 5/10 min away from the edge.

Just because you don't see MCC residents walking to Square One doesn't mean they are driving to Square One. Square One after all is only one destination and one destination is not going to fill the sidewalks of MCC, even if no one in MCC owned a car.

And despite that I do see some people walking to Square One but mostly along Kariya Dr and Duke of York only.

I'm not sure why someone living within 5 min walk of Square One would so adverse to walking 5 minutes or less to Square One, especially when the Square One experience itself requires extensive walking. People who hate walking so much as that they are willing to go down to the basement garage of their condo, drive the car to Square One instead of walking 5 minutes, spend time looking for parking space, and parking the car, just to reduce the amount of walking down to 1 minute (yes, people would have to walk from the car as well), probably aren't going to Square One to begin with, period.

Back