Member Bio
Reaction score
Award of Excellence:

University of Toronto at Mississauga
Communication Culture and Technology Building

Architect: Saucier + Perrotte Architects

CCT1_large.jpg

Jury’s Comments

This is another graceful addition to the family of space defining buildings, many of which frame courtyards on the UTM campus. The playfulness of clear and translucent glass cleverly integrates with the natural aspects of the site and creates captivating illusions with the adjacent line of trees. The cantilevered projections give clues to the interior program. They provide rhythm, definition and help to articulate the elongated façade. The subtle interface with the adjoining courtyard is delightful. Here, campus users are bathed in natural daylight, are encouraged to mix, converse and have face-to-face contact.

Recreation, Athletic and Wellness Centre

Architect: Shore Tilbe Irwin & Partners

UTMwellnesscentre_large.jpg

Jury’s Comments

The Centre cleverly evolves from the older modernist academic building behind. Through its placement on site and expansive entrance, it creates a solid frontage where none existed previously. The extent of transparency on the principle façade which reveals interior athletic functions is excellent and underscores important urban design principles. This is another successful example of the University’s extraordinary investment in quality design.

Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre

Architect: Shore Tilbe Irwin & Partners, The MBTW Group

UTMHazelMcCallionCentre_large.jpg

Jury’s Comments

A truly inspiring building, the new Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre has real distinctive architectural quality and fits within its evolving context. Its innovative use of phenolic panels with a wood veneer skin is beautiful - its grain and use of two colours are warm and convincing. The glazing is playful with its dark blue and smokey grey tonality - set within narrow vertical frames and carefully placed in banks across the principle and secondary elevations. A clean design, this building reads like a piece of very fine furniture with its unique shape and massing – it is truly inviting and draws people inside from out. The setting is peaceful and solid.

Award of Merit:

Straw Bale House

Architect: Martin Leifhebber Architect Inc.

stawbalehouse_large.jpg

Jury’s Comments

This project received an Award of Merit as it embodies innovation, creativity and environmental stewardship. The site is naturalized with sustainable ground covers and a range of native plant materials that provide a degree of local habitat. The use of stained plywood cladding at the second storey and a green roof over the carport are unique elements including the metal-screen rain water leaders that cleverly channel storm water to landscaped areas at the front, side and rear of the property. Strengthening the organic theme of the property is the binded, twig fencing that defines the property character, outdoor spaces, boundaries and edges.

Memorial Waterfront Park

Architect: John George and Associates Inc., City of Mississauga

memorialpark_large.jpg

Jury’s Comments

This project received an Award of Merit for significance in community scale, creating a sense of place and environmental initiatives. The Park has a strong relationship to its surroundings with an appeal to a broad demographic. It creates a strong sense of place for the locale and its connection to the water’s edge. The landscaping, playground areas and interpretative aspects are richly layered and promise to only get better with time. The program works well for a multiplicity of activities, offering passive and active spaces for gathering, concerts and special events.

Cracovia Square

Architect: ATA Architects Inc., Salmona Tregunno Inc.

cracoviasquare_large.jpg

Jury’s Comments

This project received an Award of Merit for innovation in influencing future context. In an area where existing commercial development is largely dominated by surface parking, this building sets a new direction for Cooksville through its street relationship and by reinforcing the intersection (corner) with its two storey apse. The proximity to the street nicely supports the public realm and defines the street edge appropriately. The covered porte cochère now offers convenience to users, and is a well-designed element. It extends the building to meet the adjoining property where the street wall can continue to evolve along Dundas Street. The two-storey massing strengthens the diverse character and mix of local retail shops in the locale. The overall scheme is imaginative and has ambition; with a contemporary expression well suited to influencing a new urban fabric for Cooksville.

People's Choice Award:

Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre

Architect: Shore Tilbe Irwin & Partners, The MBTW Group

UTMHazelMcCallionCentre_large.jpg

People’s Choice Comments

The building integrates function with form and invites the surrounding forest inside. Views from the higher floors are breathtaking. There is a green roofs that make a great contribution to the building. The distinctive cladding is visible through the trees and from a number of angles on campus. This is by far one of the nicest buildings around. It has been described by students as amazing. It is not only a great piece of work visually but is also a great place to learn and work.

Louroz

All the good stuff is happening at UTM it seems haha.

I am looking forward to seeing what new stuff will come to Mississauga in 2008.

Some good selections.

I love the Hazel McCallion Centre. It'll be interesting to see how long it will stay that colour for, unless there's some new technology that keeps wood from getting bleached.

Cracovia Square looks more like an institutional building than a retail structure.

Not to sound stupid, but are the UTM pics renders or real photos? They look almost too perfect to be real... Beautiful nonetheless.

Real

They are all real!

I got the chance to tour all the buildings recently and they are all stunning, especially the Hazel McCallion Centre.

It's funny, people applying for Uni always made fun of UTM for looking and feeling like a high school, with new facilities like these, I believe those days are over! While I was on tour, I heard a group of high school students also on tour of the campus raving about how they wanted to go to school there.

I understand that the main building (south) will eventually be renovated to match the spectacular additions to the campus.

Louroz

They look good except for Cracovia Square which looks only a little better than completely ordinary. It sounds like they got mention because they located "close to the intersection (corner)". I found it funny that intersection needed to be explained further.

The Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre looks great. Love the two-tone woody thingy.

That library building is nice. I had the chance to tour it a few months ago. I like the interior layout, with strong emphasis on both individual study areas and group study areas. They took into account how students actually behave. They saved space by installing moveable book shelves which take about half the space of normal shelving.

Port Credit Park is well designed and brings together an amazing number of facilities and activities in one place. It has playing fields, basketball courts, a small skateboard park, a spray pad for little kids to run through water, playground equipment, access to the river for fishermen, a picnic area, etc... The arena and library branch are also right there. I found the area to be incredibly well used when I saw it on several occasions over the summer. A real people place!

For information, the park directly opposite, along the west side of the river, is up for redevelopment over the next couple of years, as are some of the other waterfront parks. An open house to present some concepts is being held at Port Credit Library on Thursday November 29, 2 to 4 and 6.30 to 9.

I've really liked what they've done with Memorial Parkl, it's so much better than what it was like before. I'm also excited by the early plans for the other parks and the fact that they're finally looking at getting rid of that TERRIBLE parking lot of the west side of the river, south of the light house (by where those Commerical Fishing/Tour boats go). I hope that the redevelopment will mean more Ferry Tour boats landing on the main "pier" since it just makes the place look so much better.

They look good except for Cracovia Square which looks only a little better than completely ordinary. It sounds like they got mention because they located "close to the intersection (corner)". I found it funny that intersection needed to be explained further.

There is a large parking lot behind this building. Strip mall developments, take note.

They are all real!

I got the chance to tour all the buildings recently and they are all stunning, especially the Hazel McCallion Centre.

It's funny, people applying for Uni always made fun of UTM for looking and feeling like a high school, with new facilities like these, I believe those days are over! While I was on tour, I heard a group of high school students also on tour of the campus raving about how they wanted to go to school there.

I understand that the main building (south) will eventually be renovated to match the spectacular additions to the campus.

Louroz

It never really looked like a highschool, IMO (although it did in the locker areas of the South Building). It did feel like a highschool though, largely to the attitudes of the people and lack of things to do on campus. It still felt very much that way up until a few years ago, and based on some feedback I've received it still does feel that way if you aren't on residence.

I think the only thing that will get rid of that feeling is having more residence buildings. They really need to get as many people living there as possible to get rid of the high school feel.

The new buildings are great though.

Cracovia Square looks more like an institutional building than a retail structure.

It does right now, but with some signs and advertisements against a somewhat unique backdrop, it could break away from the institutional look. Cracovia is an interesting name as it evokes Krakow and its incredible old world urbanity yet is right there in Mississauga attaining positive remarks for not having a parking lot by the sidewalk. Cracovia is actually Krakow's Latin name.

On a side note, thank goodness Marina Cove didn't win anything.

Back