News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 526     0 

Mission Mississauga:"Grow a Lively Downtown"

F

FutureMayor

Mission Mississauga:"Grow a Lively Downtown"

Another slam dunk for Mississauga City Centre on the front page of the GTA section.

Thanks again to interchange 42, Jarrek, Observer Walt and a new UT member from SCC, Tuscani1 for attending Monday's workshop.

Thanks also to yyzer for attending last night's public meeting!

I would also like to add that it was annouced last night that $3 million over two years has been set aside to help implement some of these proposals on the Civic Square.

Another $6 million has been committed towards the new City Centre Parks.

There was loud debate that the Free City Centre Shuttle Service needs to be reintroduced.

Expect another slamn dunk from Mississauga at the end of the month when we announce concept proposals for our Hurontario LRT.

Louroz

Making a square dance in Mississauga
Plan aims to draw pedestrians to downtown area

Parks, gardens, markets will reduce the emphasis on cars
Feb. 1, 2006. 01:00 AM
MIKE FUNSTON
STAFF REPORTER

Tear down walls, close a street, add a farmers' market and a wedding chapel.

Those are among the suggestions to transform Mississauga's civic square and ultimately the whole downtown from uninviting empty spaces into vibrant people places.

Fred Kent, president of a non-profit New York City-based consulting group, Project for Public Spaces, presented his vision — really the citizens' vision, he said — for the downtown's future to residents and stakeholders at a public meeting last night.

It's the second phase of a project launched last October by the city to reshape the emerging downtown from a focus on the car into one for pedestrians.

That's considered critical because 30 condominium buildings will rise in the next 10 to 20 years, adding 12,300 people in the area west of the Mississauga Civic Centre, the Living Arts Centre and the Central Library.

Kent's plan, which has no cost estimates, will be further refined based on last night's comments and presented to city council as a final vision sometime in March.

While recommendations deal with the broader downtown area from Square One on the east, to the lands west of Confederation Park, north of Burnhamthorpe Rd. W., the key is the civic square. Everything will radiate from there, Kent said.

"The aim is to transform it into one of the great squares in Canada," he said in an interview.

Now mostly an empty stretch of concrete, except for a reflecting pond/skating rink, and with sightlines blocked by walls on either side, it's not a people-friendly place and that has to change, Kent said.

He recommends removing the walls and moving a farmers' market that runs in the warm weather months from a remote corner of the Square One parking lot to City Centre Dr., immediately south of the square. The street would be closed for the market.

The square itself should have a permanent ground-level restaurant and kiosks featuring multi-cultural foods on the east side.

On the west side, a wall blocking the view of an existing garden would be torn down and a wedding chapel built adjacent to it, to play host to the many nuptials that take place at city hall. Events should be programmed there year-round, he said.

Immediately south of the square and street is an open area beside the Central Library. Kent recommends having street level retail shops, an outdoor library, cafe, and a play area for children.

The open space would be mostly retained for festivals and other special events, and a pavilion would be built at the south end of it for indoor events and with a games area for children.

The Living Arts Centre north of city hall should also have outdoor activities, including a performance area, cafe, outdoor studios, displays and art exhibits all connected by a path around the building.

To the east of the arts centre, city hall and library is Duke of York Blvd., which Kent describes as "too wide and aggressive" for pedestrians.

He recommends narrowing the street and promoting the private-sector development of street-level retail shops and professional offices on part of what is now Square One's west parking lot.

That would provide a natural connection between the city's public buildings and the shopping centre, Kent said.

A series of three parks are to be developed immediately west of the arts centre as a buffer to the mammoth condominium projects to be built north and south of them. That will form a pedestrian connection with the city centre, Kent said.

Next to the arts centre, the park could have a tea house, a spectacular water fountain, performance area and bicycle rental facility.

Parkland west of that area could have a pond, public gardens, children's playground, dog run, a pavilion with picnic tables and outdoor barbecue area and street vendors.

Asked how he thinks politicians will react to the proposals, Kent said: "It's a slam dunk."

Gil Penalosa, a city planning official, said: "All of these ideas are do-able," and the city is committed to change from the mayor on down.

Mayor Hazel McCallion "says she wants a city that is vibrant and exciting," Penalosa pointed out.

He said a broad cross section of citizens has been consulted, including youth, seniors, multi-cultural groups, arts and sports groups. So far, two public meetings and a number of workshops have been held with residents to gather ideas for change.

Residents at last night's meeting, attended by about 150 people, expressed enthusiasm for the proposals and added some suggestions of their own.

"I found the presentation fascinating, very forward thinking and positive,'' said Carol Hennigar. I'm looking forward to having an exciting city centre that I will want to visit."

"The downtown corridor is going to be heavily populated and already the traffic makes it difficult to move,'' said Zia Khan. "With the large number of condominiums in the city centre, things need to be connected so that people don't bring their cars and add to the congestion."

Chris Dewar said the plan must include facilities for action sports, especially a BMX facility to attract the younger crowd.

"The city centre is a great location for it and it will bring in a key demographic, the 15-25 year olds, into the downtown.''

Louroz

BTW, if you are really intrested there is a map of the proposals included with article, check out the GTA section of today's star.

Tuscani01, when you scan the handouts from the meeting, can you post them on here too.

Many thanks,

Louroz

This is a great step forward for Mississauga. It would almost be hard to overestimate the importance of the "Placemaking" exercise. I was happy to participate a few months ago and again in the second-phase workshop on Monday. Unfortunately I didn't get to the public meeting last night.
Along with the competition to design a new iconic building at the Absolute complex, this will be a big change in direction for Mississauga.

Some of the proposed changes could be implemented as early as this summer. Let's hope the politicians step up and do it!

Nope, hopefully one of the UT members who attended the workshop or public meeting can scan the handouts and post them here.

Louroz

Gotta say, was very impressed with the folks from PPS...

After seeing what they have done with Campus Martius
in Detroit, maybe it would be useful to ask for their input on how to better NPS and Dundas Sq.

These are some very smart people, with a very humanistic, street-level approach to 'urbanity'.

Here's a pic of their Detroit project...(doesn't look like Detroit!)

campus_martius_after_ice_rink_2004_xlarge

Their website is www.pps.org/

Here's a pic of their Detroit project...(doesn't look like Detroit!)

On the other hand since Detroit lost half its' population in the last half of the 20th century, today's Detroit doesn't look like itself either.

I agree that projects for public spaces has some great ideas and will work with the community. I worry that Mississauga might try to make the central downtown (1 or 2 streets) a pedestrian friendly pod where it's ok to walk, and ignore the rest of the city.
There were plans to take a couple of lanes off of Burnhamthorpe to make the street easier to cross and less hostile. The PPP may provide a place to go to, but it is also important to put the larger community into context. When I see those lanes come off of Burnhamthorpe I will know that Mississauga Centre has a chance. It is extremely difficult to say no to the transportation department who would fight this to the death.

Markham centre, if built, would be a pod as it is totally separate from its' surroundings on all sides and so could only be a downtown in the sense of a mall (also strictly zoned like MCC). Hopefully Mississauga can understand that pedestrians should not be zoned onto one street as they are now inside square 1.

Green makes a really good point which I think is worth making a key point for those who are working on this project. It really is not enough to simply have a 'destination' where people come by car, walk around a quaint little area, and then leave. As Green said, all you are doing is creating a mall that just happens to be outside. It wouldnt take much work to look through examples of 60's and 70's planning where downtowns were turned into outdoor malls of sorts and failed. Even progressive planning today repeats a lot of these same mistakes, treating downtown areas as though they were 'special' areas, a singular point in the city rather than viewing it as a continuation of its surrounding neighborhoods.

I think if Mississauga wants to create a more urban setting, it really needs to focus on making all of the city more inviting to urban activities. Why would someone in Mississauga go to a 'fake' downtown when Toronto is a short trip away? The area should just be a natural part of living in Mississauga. You shouldnt just go there because it has pretty street furniture and its a nice alternative to the mall. It should be someplace people go just because. Just because its fun to walk around or relax in that area. Just because its an area with shops and stores that are not just carbon copies of what you find in a mall. Just because your going to visit a friend that lives downtown.

I think its good that the city is taking the time and effort to begin exploring ways to improve the city and make it an interesting place to live. But I do hope that those planning it dont just think in short sighted terms or judge success purely by numbers and attendance figures. You can make it as clean and pretty and shiney as you want, but unless the rest of the city also helps reinforce the idea of a more urban place to, its going to fail and become little more an open air Square 1 with the same unexciting, uninspired, homogenous appeal of any regional mall.

For that matter, I think Square One opened in the fall of '73, about the same time that Rick Springfield's "Mission Magic" first aired...

green22,

One of the principals of the Placemaking program is that it is CITYWIDE and the focus is not just on City Centre, however that is where most work is presently needed. All of the new City Centre Streets will strive to become truely urban. It will take some time, but we will get there.

Mississauga already has some outstanding Public Spaces from the BEST waterfront system in the GTA, to established communities of Port Credit, Cooksville, Streetsville and Old Meadowvale. Our modern and beautiful Community Centres which are often combined with a Library and Schools are the focus of many of new communities. Many of these focus areas are already connected or will be linked with a bike/walking system and public transit.

Louroz

This sounds very promising.

What is fascinating is that this type of initiative seems to be sticking as an agenda for urban development. While the plan is proceeding at a reasonable pace, it isn't something being rammed through, either. Also, there is what appears to be an effort to knit together the cities existing successes.

I can recall downtown Mississauga from the early 1980's. To think of it then and to see it now reminds me of the huge amount of change. If this approach to development is pursued, the next twenty-five years could bring some nice (and some very urban) development to Mississauga.

Back