News   Jul 25, 2024
 749     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 670     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 509     0 

Missing Links in the GO Bus Network

I think GO should provide a service on a Kitchener-Guelph-Bramalea hourly service. There's several reasons for this: finally provide a cheap, regular interim link between Guelph and Kitchener. Secondly, provide a faster link to Union via Bramalea than via Square One, thirdly, the connections to York U and York Region offered by the link at Bramalea.

I would also like to see weekday late afternoon/evening service on Georgetown/Brampton-Union service to match weekend service, which is paradoxically better than on weekdays. Georgetown has awful service inbound in weekday PM service, I'd like to see a Union-bound buses later from Brampton than 9:35, at least buses leaving at 10:35 and 11:35.

I would also like to see a Milton-Brampton service, or at least a Milton-York U service via 407/Hurontario and Bramalea GO, that would be dandy.

I have to agree that the Kitchener-Guelph service gap is one of the most frustrating within the GO system. From what I understand, if GO were to run service on this route it would be likely that Greyhound would issue some sort of legal challenge claiming that GO as unfair competition due to their public subsidy.

I may be off, but I would like to know of any rules or legislation that prevents GO and other public operators from competing on the same routes as private coach operators. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

The info you wanted....

Here it is - the Ontario Highway Transportation Board http://www.ohtb.gov.on.ca/eng/main.html regulates the buses and routes they run and then there is this report on Intercity Buses http://www.comt.ca/english/Intercity Bus Services Task Force Report.pdf

The information I got is from a longtime Greyhound driver who said that there was restrictions on distance GO can travel as well as existing routes. It can not do a Toronto express route from Guelph for example because Greyhound already holds the license and would appeal the unfair advantage. The new connector buses coming January 3rd at Bramalea GO Train station going express to/from Kitchener and Guelph respectfully pretty well show the restrictions GO has on distance and express runs. Again, he pointed out that the Hamilton express is pretty much the maximum distance they can operate express buses.

This long time driver also informed many other riders of the changes Greyhound is doing in Guelph and Kitchener. First, Greyhound no longer has drivers/buses posted in Guelph. They deadhead it from Toronto to Guelph each morning. Now imagine if there was an issue of traffic, breakdown or weather and the bus didn't show, they couldn't just pull another one right away in Guelph it would have to come from Toronto. This same thing is planned for Kitchener in the Spring. The other thing is the driver said Greyhound wants GO to "pick up the slack" in the area so that they can look at run reductions. They may even close down the station in Guelph but still have buses drop by and leave ticketing in the hands of another group.

Here it is - the Ontario Highway Transportation Board http://www.ohtb.gov.on.ca/eng/main.html regulates the buses and routes they run and then there is this report on Intercity Buses http://www.comt.ca/english/Intercity Bus Services Task Force Report.pdf

The information I got is from a longtime Greyhound driver who said that there was restrictions on distance GO can travel as well as existing routes. It can not do a Toronto express route from Guelph for example because Greyhound already holds the license and would appeal the unfair advantage. The new connector buses coming January 3rd at Bramalea GO Train station going express to/from Kitchener and Guelph respectfully pretty well show the restrictions GO has on distance and express runs. Again, he pointed out that the Hamilton express is pretty much the maximum distance they can operate express buses.

This long time driver also informed many other riders of the changes Greyhound is doing in Guelph and Kitchener. First, Greyhound no longer has drivers/buses posted in Guelph. They deadhead it from Toronto to Guelph each morning. Now imagine if there was an issue of traffic, breakdown or weather and the bus didn't show, they couldn't just pull another one right away in Guelph it would have to come from Toronto. This same thing is planned for Kitchener in the Spring. The other thing is the driver said Greyhound wants GO to "pick up the slack" in the area so that they can look at run reductions. They may even close down the station in Guelph but still have buses drop by and leave ticketing in the hands of another group.

These sorts of regulations should be abolished, because they no longer make any sense. On the other hand, it makes no sense for GO Transit to run buses that compete with the Toronto-Kitchener and Toronto-Guelph routes, because Greyhound does a perfectly respectable job on this route and it would be a waste of money subsidizing a competitor. A Kitchener-Guelph bus makes sense though because the Greyhound service on this route is extremely infrequent whereas there is probably demand for 30 or even 15 minute service on this route, operated either by GO or GRT/GT. Similarly adding more departures to the Kitchener GO train service, and spending some money on track upgrades to increase the speed, makes sense because the train is better than the bus service.

Back