News   Jun 05, 2024
 606     0 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 676     1 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 705     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

A link for you Goldie. 1922 Kodak colour film footage - a bit of 'cine' history.

"This clip is a very early, full-color Kodachrome film made by Kodak in 1922 to test new film stock and color processing. It is a lovely little four-and-a-half minutes of pretty actresses gesturing for the camera. The color and lighting are exquisite—all warm reds with flattering highlights—making it a purely enjoyable thing to watch."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vaul...r_the_camera.html?fb_ref=sm_fb_share_blogpost

Thanks Mustapha - nice to see beautiful early film footage, particularly since we're now witnessing the demise of ALL FILM.
First, our home movies on Kodachrome were replaced by video cameras.
Then the sudden and amazing conversion to digital imaging.
Soon we'll see Kodak's film sales to Hollywood expire completely.

Although, there may still be a place for film - I was surprised today to see that the DOLLAR store sells disposable film cameras (for $3!).

Although, there may still be a place for film - I was surprised today to see that the DOLLAR store sells disposable film cameras (for $3!).

At a recent wedding I attended the happy couple left disposable film cameras at each table for the guests to use and turn in. I'm sure they captured many wonderful images. 'Labs' that develop film are getting scarce though...

I'm printing many of my better family pictures and giving them to my family. I have a concern that in 10 years laptops won't have a socket to stick a USB key into or even recognize a .jpg file. I already have 'xd' cards that can't be inserted into newer computers without an adapter.

By the way, I shop at Dollarama too. :) The one at College Park has a nice selection of very small Lowepro camera bags for 2 and 3$. I got a 'Spectrum 50' that I paid only 2$ for. There's lots left.

Just for fun, Goldie.

Then. Wisdom, Montana; in Kodachrome. 1940s.

Wisdom_Montana_1942_FSA_zps4ea7d490.jpg

Now. Presumably, digital.

Wisdom_MT_-_Trading_Post_zps119d086f.jpg

Just for fun.

Then. 'Snow shovellers. Dec. 28, 1922.' Queen and Yonge looking W towards Yonge.

f1266_it0058_zpsf939e46a.jpg

Now. Today. February 9, 2013.

R1239501_zps344ca038.jpg

Just for fun, Goldie.

Then. Wisdom, Montana; in Kodachrome. 1940s.

Wisdom_Montana_1942_FSA_zps4ea7d490.jpg

Now. Presumably, digital.

Wisdom_MT_-_Trading_Post_zps119d086f.jpg

Nice Montana street, but I'm not convinced that the foreground buildings are one-and-the-same.
This building appears in both images (attached-circled).

Always 'fun' to explore our images in detail - there are often hidden surprises.

Attachments

• same building.jpg
    same building.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 384
Then and Now for February 8, 2013.

Then. SE corner of St. Clair and Vaughan. 'Wychwood Branch. The Dominion Bank.' c1920.

947StClairVaughanSEc1920.jpg

Now. August 2012. 92 years of progress in signage. :)

948.jpg

I found this picture several years ago before I found this thread. 1st job was at the Kresge store surrounding it.

St. Clair and Vaughan.jpg

Attachments

• St. Clair and Vaughan.jpg
    St. Clair and Vaughan.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 755
Nice Montana street, but I'm not convinced that the foreground buildings are one-and-the-same.
This building appears in both images (attached-circled).

Always 'fun' to explore our images in detail - there are often hidden surprises.

Sharp eye there Goldie. Someday I'll make it to Wisdom. Some acreage in Montana would be nice.

Then and Now for February 11, 2013. A tidbit of cinema history today.

Then. Hyland Theatre. Opened 1948. It had just closed for good in this picture - June-ish 2001 [Demolished in 2003]. I was just strolling down Yonge that day; tonight I have a reason to use this old photo.

951.jpg

Now. August 2012.

952.jpg

Then and Now for February 11, 2013. A tidbit of cinema history today.

Then. Hyland Theatre. Opened 1948. It had just closed for good in this picture - June-ish 2001 [Demolished in 2003]. I was just strolling down Yonge that day; tonight I have a reason to use this old photo.

951.jpg

Now. August 2012.

952.jpg

Another view (great marquee):

odeonhyland.jpg

With stylistic overtones of the old Odeon Danforth:

odeondanforth.jpg
odeondanforth2.jpg

Last edited:
So many pages to look through (thankfully) but am getting through a fair bit. I really enjoy the comparisons of old photographs of areas to what they look like now. I think this why I still enjoy watching old Canadian tv shows shot in Toronto (The Littlest Hobo comes to mind) as I like seeing old neighbourhoods and streets from that era. Thanks Mustapha.

Back