QUOTE Mustapha.

According to

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1912:

LEADLAY & COMPANY
(est 1863)
SHEEPSKIN PULLERS
HIDES, SKINS, & TALLOW
(Thos Hook - Percival Leadlay)

Offices - 87 Front Street East. Pulling Factory 896 Queen Street West.
Phones - Office MAin 589, Pullery PArk 42.

Leadlay, Elizabeth - wid Dowker.
599 Palmerston Avenue.

Leadlay, John E - bookeeper.
599 Palmerston Avenue.

Leadlay, Percival
21 Elm Avenue.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"21 Elm Avenue c1910. 'Residence of Percival Leadley."
QUOTE Mustapha.

According to

LEADLAY & COMPANY
(est 1863)
SHEEPSKIN PULLERS
HIDES, SKINS, & TALLOW

[snip]

Regards,
J T

So, if the wool is still attached to the skin you "pull" it to make it useful, but if the wool is off the skin, you "full" it.

Learn sumpin' new everyday.

The next earlier generation of Leadlays had a wharf just east of Yonge, if I recall correctly.
/cheers
nomoreatorontonian

Architect Frederick Herbert. Among other landmarks, he did the Dineen building. Hopefully subject of a future Then and Now.

Attached is a photo of this house's coach house, demolished in 2008.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/pb/bgrd/backgroundfile-9953.pdf

Mustapha, may I ask how you choose your subjects? They all seem to have such interesting back stories.

Last edited:
"21 Elm Avenue c1910. 'Residence of Percival Leadley."
QUOTE Mustapha.

According to

LEADLAY & COMPANY
(est 1863)
SHEEPSKIN PULLERS
HIDES, SKINS, & TALLOW

Leadlay, Elizabeth - wid Dowker.
599 Palmerston Avenue.

Leadlay, John E - bookeeper.
599 Palmerston Avenue.

Leadlay, Percival
21 Elm Avenue.

Regards,
J T

Less than your usual thorough self today I see. Just kidding. Thank you JT. :) :)

So, if the wool is still attached to the skin you "pull" it to make it useful, but if the wool is off the skin, you "full" it.

Learn sumpin' new everyday.

The next earlier generation of Leadlays had a wharf just east of Yonge, if I recall correctly.
/cheers
nomoreatorontonian

As for the latest generation, I checked Canada 411 to see if any Leadleys/Leadlays [used both spellings, seems to be some confusion??] are still in Toronto. There are two; one for each spelling. It's not that common a name.

I've mentioned this before so I'll keep it short; bandmate of my son - his grandfather - Mr. Blatchford - the family's shoe stores figure in many of the turn of the century/WWI era pictures of Yonge street.

Architect Frederick Herbert. Among other landmarks, he did the Dineen building. Hopefully subject of a future Then and Now.

Attached is a photo of this house's coach house, demolished in 2008.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/pb/bgrd/backgroundfile-9953.pdf

Mustapha, may I ask how you choose your subjects? They all seem to have such interesting back stories.

k10ery, I don't choose my subjects by any criteria. wwwebster provided me these pictures and I do the picture. The backstory is dug up by JT, thecharioteer, yourself and others.

I agree that these grand Rosedale homes have an interesting backstory -their owners and families business buildings may still exist - their energies and enterprises creating goods that may have lasted down to this day.

Sometimes when I have a moment I 'Canada 411' and see if a possible family descendant of a subject Then and Now lives in Toronto.

Years ago I met a Mr. Heintzman (piano making family) who was still involved in a related solo entrepreneur business.

Weekend fun:

One of the Old Toronto Stock Exchange doors, moved a block west, now on the east side of the Exchange Building at York and King.

P5160091.jpg

Back