News   Jul 11, 2024
 166     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 324     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 624     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Now and Then for Aug 29.

Then. NW corner of Roncesvalles and Wright. c1916. High Park Presbyterian Church. The Toronto firm of Smith and Gemmell also designed Knox College on Spadina Crescent; of which we were talking about of late.

160.jpg

Now. June 2011. Still a church but a later building. There are a number of dedication plaques/cornerstones by various congregations down through the years all over the building. I counted at least four.

161.jpg

brewster,

Very very nice 'Victoria Park' set. The Zingburger was quite the loss. Never went myself but wished I could have. I'm a sucker for 'greasy spoons'.

brewster,

Very very nice 'Victoria Park' set. The Zingburger was quite the loss. Never went myself but wished I could have. I'm a sucker for 'greasy spoons'.
They just tore it down a few years ago. I wanted to go there myself. I feel I missed something any time I go by.

brewster,

Thanks for all the kind words everybody.

Couple of random Golden mile photos. No point in trying to now and then them.

27202_100468666661972_100000965163136_2061_2375749_n.jpg

27202_100466186662220_100000965163136_2053_5375775_n.jpg

Parkway Plaza --V.P. and Ellsmere
ParkwayPlaza1.jpg

Parkwoods Plaza
Parkwoods1.jpg

Parkwoods2.jpg

Weird how fundamentally unaltered the Parkwood Dominion/Metro is, as well as the rear parts of the actual plaza--landscaping and all...

Weird how fundamentally unaltered the Parkwood Dominion/Metro is, as well as the rear parts of the actual plaza--landscaping and all...

Well they did remove the entrance on the Dominion, closest to Fenside. Other than the horrific signage and paint job of the current food basics, everything else is pretty much in tact.

Parkwoods Plaza is about to go bye bye, though the dominion will be spared. 5 Condos are set to be built there, unfortunately. Though I'm sure you already know.

Last edited:
Then and Now for August 30th.

This is the last one for a few days... taking some time off.

I'll be back about 11:45pm on Labour Day Monday resuming things with a post for Tuesday September 6. :)

Then. Feb 24, 1925. Front street E of Overend street. I do believe that hog processing might have been big deal down here in the past. Where's Beerich? :)

162.jpg

Now. May 2011. 'West Don Lands'. Something is happening... related to the 2015 Pan Am Games athletes village to be located here perhaps. The industry in this area closed or left by the early 80s and the land was expropriated by the provincial government. It was deserted for a long period after a redevelopment project to create a new neighbourhood from scratch fell through.

163.jpg

Then and Now for August 30th.

Then. Feb 24, 1925. Front street E of Overend street. I do believe that hog processing might have been big deal down here in the past. Where's Beerich? :)

162.jpg

Now. May 2011. 'West Don Lands'. Something is happening... related to the 2015 Pan Am Games athletes village to be located here perhaps. The industry in this area closed or left by the early 80s and the land was expropriated by the provincial government. It was deserted for a long period after a redevelopment project to create a new neighbourhood from scratch fell through.

163.jpg

Right here. Excellent shot. Also note, that ice is just that. It ain't snow. I think this pic might have been taken because of some winter flooding. The guys on the right are going hard at something.

That whole area is going to change completely. I want to head down soon to take some pictures before it changes too much. Also the Canpar warehouse as well. I heard that Tent City was sold by Home Depot, and now nobody knows what's going in there. The silos are apparently staying. The Keating Channel Pub will be worth a hefty amount some day. Great spot to chill. Used to be owned by the Irish Rovers and sold about 8 years ago. Oh they have some great shots on the walls in that place of the waterfront, RCYC, etc.

Great shot. Thanks.

Ah, Parkway Mall. Perhaps the only mall in Toronto that tops Yorkdale?

Good one N.G.B. I have lived across the road from the Parkway Mall and watched it become a glorified flea market. Sad but at least we have our untouchable Metro with its heritage status.

Last edited:
Good on N.G.B. I have lived across the road from the Parkway Mall and watched it become a glorified flea market. Sad but at least we have our untouchable Metro with its heritage status.

The Dominion is an awesome building but unfortunately it's located in such a sketchy area. Though, that should improve somewhat when that awful social housing at Vic Park, north of Cassandra Blvd. gets redeveloped.

Back