News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I don’t think I’d want to replace the Revell design, but this pic shows that it could have existed in harmony with the Registry building:

View attachment 495345
True, Revell's building is definitely superior. Indeed the two could've co-existed and perhaps NPS landscaped better with more greenery and no elevated walkway. All what-ifs of course.

Though let's remember--the Registry building was demolished when it could be. And the fact that it lingered a little longer alongside the new complex simply reflects that it still served a function for some of that interim--much as the old Eatons store served until the N half of the Eaton Centre was finished...

2995 Bloor West.

1958 and Now.

I can't be sure if I posted this already - if I did it was years ago. A search using UTs own engine and also Google turn up nothing, so here we [possibly again] go.

1958-2995-Bloor-Street-West-Hong-Kong-Gardens-Restaurant.jpg
89845146_10216229373548873_6742420728492064768_n.jpg

Though let's remember--the Registry building was demolished when it could be. And the fact that it lingered a little longer alongside the new complex simply reflects that it still served a function for some of that interim--much as the old Eatons store served until the N half of the Eaton Centre was finished...
No doubt, for sure. Much of my what-ifs and what-could-have-been ideas rest on a completely alternate reality for that era. And even previous eras for that matter; I'm quite certain in this thread you've made note that the Victorians themselves tore down some fine Victorian and Georgian buildings.

No doubt, for sure. Much of my what-ifs and what-could-have-been ideas rest on a completely alternate reality for that era. And even previous eras for that matter; I'm quite certain in this thread you've made note that the Victorians themselves tore down some fine Victorian and Georgian buildings.
When Toronto was created back in 1834, many building did not have indoor plumbing, electricity, natural gas, or communication lines. Insulation was haphazard if any. When we started to add those "features", sometimes damage would end up being done. That would mean tearing down and starting all over again.

Even furnaces would be monsters taking up most of the basements. The first furnaces would have been using coal, meaning a storage room in the basement for the coal. They would be replaced with oil burners, with an oil tank in the basement.
octopus-furnace-396x600.jpg.webp
From link.
shutterstock_1009992484-624x416.jpg
From link.

When Toronto was created back in 1834, many building did not have indoor plumbing, electricity, natural gas, or communication lines. Insulation was haphazard if any. When we started to add those "features", sometimes damage would end up being done. That would mean tearing down and starting all over again.

Even furnaces would be monsters taking up most of the basements. The first furnaces would have been using coal, meaning a storage room in the basement for the coal. They would be replaced with oil burners, with an oil tank in the basement.
octopus-furnace-396x600.jpg.webp
From link.
shutterstock_1009992484-624x416.jpg
From link.
I would suggest that in 1834 no building would have any of those amenities with the possible exception of some kind of indoor plumbing for the very wealthy.

That image of the convection furnace was our place in Willowdale when the folks bought it in 1956. It was still coal-fired when we bought it and conversion to oil was the first thing dad had done. The one in the image has been converted, ours had a blower box added as well. I left in '73 and there was still no gas on the street; although they had brought in sewers which got us off the septic tank.

Doubtless this has been posted, but I saw this shot today on my FB feed and thought it would be worthy:

View attachment 495837

Above, that's Queen's Quay Terminal when still used as a warehouse, in 1955: Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...m.6450451841729062&idorvanity=735497929891177

Current, below: (best effort)

View attachment 495838
It's a new shot for me, don't think I've seen that perspective before. Would've been cool if they kept the "Terminal Warehouse" sign a la Tip Top lofts.

It's a new shot for me, don't think I've seen that perspective before. Would've been cool if they kept the "Terminal Warehouse" sign a la Tip Top lofts.
I don't know if it even survived into the 60s, much less the 70s--though when the White Rose brand was phased out in the mid-60s after being taken over by Shell, *its* sign was replaced by the "Trust Royal Trust" array that lasted through the 70s

Reactions: DSC
I would suggest that in 1834 no building would have any of those amenities with the possible exception of some kind of indoor plumbing for the very wealthy.

That image of the convection furnace was our place in Willowdale when the folks bought it in 1956. It was still coal-fired when we bought it and conversion to oil was the first thing dad had done. The one in the image has been converted, ours had a blower box added as well. I left in '73 and there was still no gas on the street; although they had brought in sewers which got us off the septic tank.
Our house in 1961 at Lawrence Park had that monster coal furnace too, but it had already been converted to oil burning. We had radiators.
Interestingly, when my father bought the house in 1961, there were two inoperable gas lamps on the living room walls, one on each side of the living room fireplace. So gas was there somewhere….
And the white insulation which we also had…was that asbestos? I always thought it might be….

Licensed….by who? No mention of the LLBO or any city entity
I've been away from it for a while but I can only assume it means the restaurant is licenced to sell liquor. I'm not even sure there is a requirement to display a sign that they are licenced anymore, but it has become a way to display that they, in fact, sell liquor in a manner that Ontarians are used to seeing. The LLBO hasn't existed in a long time - everything is regulated by the AGCO.

The only city entity that would be involved that I can think of is the issuance of a business licence, and I suppose it can be assumed that if they are operating a legal business, they are licenced.

Our house in 1961 at Lawrence Park had that monster coal furnace too, but it had already been converted to oil burning. We had radiators.
Interestingly, when my father bought the house in 1961, there were two inoperable gas lamps on the living room walls, one on each side of the living room fireplace. So gas was there somewhere….
And the white insulation which we also had…was that asbestos? I always thought it might be….
Likely it was asbestos. Today it is "expensive" to remove the asbestos, but some of it could have been removed before the strict requirements that we have today. Another reason why some renovations or complete demolition is done these days.

We found asbestos in our home built in 1981, it was common in popcorn ceilings as late as the '90s. There's a lot more out there than people realize.

Back