News   Jul 16, 2024
 402     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 514     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Happy Birthday, Alexandrina! (christened in June 1819)

TN Queen Victoria monument-Queen's park 1912.jpg

Attachments

• TN Queen Victoria monument-Queen's park 1912.jpg
    TN Queen Victoria monument-Queen's park 1912.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
"Heartsick to learn about this morning’s fire at Sunnybrook stables. I rode up there on my bike last night and was thinking how beautiful and peaceful it was. This photo was taken at 7:20 pm. No words... so much sorrow. RIP, lovely horses." @JenMcEditor on Twitter

Probably the last photo ever taken of the stables, in tact. A devastating loss to Toronto's wildlife, culture and built heritage. I always enjoyed walking up to the horses and petting them when they approached the perimeter fence. Sunnybrook Park won't be the same without the horses and stables. This better not be a case of arson.

20th May 2018; 7:20 p.m.
zkpkc5.jpg

Photo: Jennifer McIntyre

21 May 2018
firefighters-continue-to-douse-a-fire-at-sunnybrook-stables-that-16-picture-id961067194

Photo source

"Heartsick to learn about this morning’s fire at Sunnybrook stables. I rode up there on my bike last night and was thinking how beautiful and peaceful it was. This photo was taken at 7:20 pm. No words... so much sorrow. RIP, lovely horses." @JenMcEditor on Twitter

Probably the last photo ever taken of the stables, in tact. A devastating loss to Toronto's wildlife, culture and built heritage. I always enjoyed walking up to the horses and petting them when they approached the perimeter fence. Sunnybrook Park won't be the same without the horses and stables. This better not be a case of arson.

20th May 2018; 7:20 p.m.
zkpkc5.jpg

Photo: Jennifer McIntyre

21 May 2018
firefighters-continue-to-douse-a-fire-at-sunnybrook-stables-that-16-picture-id961067194

Photo source
Seems to be fireworks nearby.

Why would an urban stable, located within easy connection to city main water lines, and filled with hay and wood not have a sprinkler system?

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/let...rse-stalls-should-have-sprinkler-systems.html
All horse stalls should have sprinkler systems

Attachments

• Frankland Public School - Logan Ave. S. of Danforth Ave.1915 TPL.jpg
    Frankland Public School - Logan Ave. S. of Danforth Ave.1915 TPL.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 600
  • Frankland school on Logan.jpg
    Frankland school on Logan.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 762
Seems to be fireworks nearby.

Why would an urban stable, located within easy connection to city main water lines, and filled with hay and wood not have a sprinkler system?

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/let...rse-stalls-should-have-sprinkler-systems.html
All horse stalls should have sprinkler systems

This comment is often seen after livestock is killed in a barn fire. While you are right that an urban barn would have easier access to water, livestock barns by their nature are highly flammable, especially wooden structures which are the most common. The loft is often full of hay bales which are notoriously difficult to extinguish and the bedding is flammable. The supply of water needed would likely drown the animals and possibly send them into such panic that they might perish anyway. Sprinkler systems are often beyond the financial and water capabilities of most farms. Even though Sunnybrook is near a water system, it would likely take a high capacity feed to make it feasible.

This comment is often seen after livestock is killed in a barn fire. While you are right that an urban barn would have easier access to water, livestock barns by their nature are highly flammable, especially wooden structures which are the most common. The loft is often full of hay bales which are notoriously difficult to extinguish and the bedding is flammable. The supply of water needed would likely drown the animals and possibly send them into such panic that they might perish anyway. Sprinkler systems are often beyond the financial and water capabilities of most farms. Even though Sunnybrook is near a water system, it would likely take a high capacity feed to make it feasible.
A cursory google search of boarding stables in Ontario shows many provide sprinkler systems. If I had a horse, I wouldn’t board Gluestick anywhere without fire protection.

Should know by now that any government owned facility is exempt from such regulations. See link about airport runway lengths not to regulation. They make regulations, then ignore them for government owned. Government housing is another.

York Railway Station (G.T.R.), Main St. at Danforth Ave. (area once known as "Little York") 1906 TPL
York Railway Station (G.T.R.), Main St. at Danforth Ave. 1906 TPL.jpg

Now......GO's Danforth Station.
GO Danforth.jpg

Attachments

• York Railway Station (G.T.R.), Main St. at Danforth Ave. 1906 TPL.jpg
    York Railway Station (G.T.R.), Main St. at Danforth Ave. 1906 TPL.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 601
  • GO Danforth.jpg
    GO Danforth.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 778

Back