News   Jun 11, 2024
 439     0 
News   Jun 11, 2024
 809     0 
News   Jun 10, 2024
 869     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The alignment of those new signs looks awkward. The one on the left would look better if it were closer to the corner of the building; like its counterpart. It's not even centered above the two sets of windows it spans across.
I agree with you but too late now. The Hudson's Bay signs have been moved and replaced with Saks Fifth Avenue signs.
Stephen

I'm sorry to announce that I must say good-bye to all my friends at Urban Toronto.
It appears that this site has "upgraded" it's software such that my old, outdated browser will not allow me access to this site any more.
Too bad the upgrade could not have been "backward compatible!"
I'm posting this note from a computer at the Toronto Public Library.

Bye, Bye

I'm sorry to announce that I must say good-bye to all my friends at Urban Toronto.
It appears that this site has "upgraded" it's software such that my old, outdated browser will not allow me access to this site any more.

Bye, Bye

Oh come on, there's gotta be a workaround? I've really enjoyed your posts!

Bye, Bye
You REALLY don't need to leave us and I hope you don't. As others have suggested, if you are still using an old edition of Internet Explorer or ?? download and use another browser like Firedox or Chrome.

I ran Windows XP on a laptop for as long as I could - it did everything I wanted and had no need to change. First Windows stopped providing updates, but unfortunately browsers did too (I think Firefox was the last). Very little workaround and I believe there's no other way of visiting a growing list of sites without updating the operating system. In other words getting a newer computer. Kinda shame because the laptop and XP worked perfectly otherwise.

@Goldie Certainly not a reason to leave and hope you can figure out another means to continue posting.

Another option would be to set up the computer to dual boot with a Linux distro I have used Ubuntu, Mint, and Zorin. I use Linux for surfing on the older XP boxes and then boot into windows for the things I need windows for. Firefox and Chrome are no longer available in a 32 bit version for Windows. However, Linux is another story at this point, Firefox will upgrade to the latest version. No need to leave Goldie.

Last edited:
I'll celebrate with this joyful 1921 photo as a Xmas treat.
Children waiting for 'story hour' at the Central Library, College & George Sts. (image from TPL)
Happy Holidays to All.
TPL Central Library-College St. n.w. corner St. George St.1921-waiting for story hour TPL.jpg

Attachments

• TPL Central Library-College St. n.w. corner St. George St.1921-waiting for story hour TPL.jpg
    TPL Central Library-College St. n.w. corner St. George St.1921-waiting for story hour TPL.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 854
Another option would be to set up the computer to dual boot with a Linux distro I have used Ubuntu, Mint, and Zorin. I use Linux for surfing on the older XP boxes and then boot into windows for the things I need windows for. Firefox and Chrome are no longer available in a 32 bit version for Windows. However, Linux is another story at this point, Firefox will upgrade to the latest version. No need to leave Goldie.
This is an option for many, easy for some of us (although I avoid double boot now, so extremely happy with Linux alone) but for some of the older members, dual boot is just going to confuse things further.

For Firefox, I got so tired of the "latest greatest version with all the bells and whistles to totally screw up your sense of operation" last update that I dumped it save for the support files, and loaded the "Extended Release".

If you haven't loaded Firefox yet, Goldie, I highly recommend the Extended Release version.

It means for we older, established users, the only time it changes is when it is truly needed to. All the security updates are loaded with Extended Release, just not "all the latest features" which are really meant for nerds and fashionistas.

It's like changing the position of the steering wheel, accelerator and brakes in a car, and expecting you to relearn it all on a whim.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switch-to-firefox-extended-support-release-esr

Consider using a "work" version of Chrome v. the 'latest app supporting' version for private users. Chrome still supports features that Firefox's latest versions don't, and you might have some programs that require their support. (Phone plugins, etc).

I'm finding that Chrome works far more reliably when streaming videos, both the older Flash and newer HTML5, as well as some news sites, so it's good to have both.

The 'latest' also insist on moving things around in ways that are disorienting, let alone useless for all but the 'latest gimmick' users.

I share your frustration, Goldie, but glad it figured out.

I'll celebrate with this joyful 1921 photo as a Xmas treat.
Children waiting for 'story hour' at the Central Library, College & George Sts. (image from TPL)
Happy Holidays to All.
Well before my time, but these kinds of pics still take my breath away. I'll be staring at that one for some time...Thank You.

Addendum: I keep going back to that pic. It's transfixing. I'm taken by how well-dressed and *apparently* well-adjusted and behaved those kids are. Almost a hundred years ago. And the building dynamics the same as 'rediscovering' the ROM's 'old entrance' on Avenue Rd.

Some things are timeless...and nothing captures that like an excellent photograph.

Last edited:

Back