News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 620     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

CORRECTION........the name is Milliken Centre

TNMillikenschool2007to2014_zps096eed6e.jpg

Last edited:

Sorry, but the integration of this "heritage" facade has to be one of the most absurd examples of historic preservation run amok. Architecturally, the facade seems to have nothing significant, and its integration by the architect is clumsy at best. (There are so many examples, like Burano, where it is well done).

What were they all thinking?

This is just a guess:
Perhaps the Markham City Council insisted that the 'historic' school be integrated into the new structure.
And the builder "went along to get along."
Of course, it could have been accomplished with greater style.

It's good that it was preserved, but that's easily the GTA's worst example of heritage facade integration with a new structure. One day the building behind it might be demolished while preserving the facade yet again.

Long ago in this thread, I was mulling over the 7-Up "Fresh Up" rooftop neon that used to exist at Bloor & Jane, Broadview & Danforth, and wondering about other locations...as I think of it, wasn't there another one NE of Dufferin & Eglinton?

Financial District 1930's:

bankofcommerceking.jpg

Today (thanks to Oscar Flores' "Photo of the Day"):

financialdistrict.png

Attachments

• bankofcommerceking.jpg
    bankofcommerceking.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 1,080
  • financialdistrict.png
    financialdistrict.png
    469.4 KB · Views: 1,026
Bank of Commerce
Once, "the tallest building in the British Empire," now 'lost' among giants.

Apparently the billiard place in the subway arcade was a classic Leon Redbone hangout.

ser381_s0381_fl0308_id12103-26.jpg

NB: the church on the left is the one where the arch on Yonge opposite College Park came from.

If anyone has any info on the 5th Avenue restaurant pictured here I'd be interested, my parents took us there numerous times in the early 60's. I've always wondered about it's history as I don't think it lasted too much longer, I remember them being pretty good with kids because you always left with a toy prize, wasn't there a laneway to the right that led back to the parking lot?

edit; the billiard place in the subway, "The Cue", that place was something and even if Leon himself was playing that night I would probably pass.

Last edited:
Interesting, I wonder how many there were before they were bought out or whatever happened to them, I remember quite a few, seems to me it was mid-70's when the name disappeared as I'm pretty sure the Bathurst and St Clair store turned into to a Shoppers Drugmart about that time.

Back