1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

CNE:

1910:

POSTCARD - TORONTO - EXHIBITION - GRAND BOULEVARD FROM PRINCES' GATE - ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING AN.jpg

Now (well. a few years ago):

Toronto_-_ON_-_Princes'_Gates.jpg

Attachments

• POSTCARD - TORONTO - EXHIBITION - GRAND BOULEVARD FROM PRINCES' GATE - ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING AN.jpg
    POSTCARD - TORONTO - EXHIBITION - GRAND BOULEVARD FROM PRINCES' GATE - ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING AN.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,312
  • Toronto_-_ON_-_Princes'_Gates.jpg
    Toronto_-_ON_-_Princes'_Gates.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,237
If that postcard's dated 1976, that's another case where the photo doesn't jibe with the date--I'd guess 1971/72, given how Commerce Court West appears physically complete yet "unoccupied", and the old Bank of Commerce still has its aerial (which was removed upon CCW's completion).

Also of note: I forgot that the neon Dominion "Mainly Because Of The Meat" sign (note the logo beneath the Royal York) used to be downtown--it was either replicated at or moved to Dufferin north of the Gate...

This shot also shows the fluorescent lighting, original to the Gardner, that was inside the tubular railings. These were especially evident on the ramps and kind of short lived. They had maintenance problems as you can see in the gaps in light. You can still see the empty fixtures in some rails in various places.
They were replaced around the time of the Don Valley when the new low pressure sodium (deep orange) lights came out. Low pressure sodium was a new tech designed to save energy, more lumens per watt. They also had a low glare response from the human eye. High pressure sodium replaced that technology, they are the pinkish ones we see most everywhere now. The new high towers light more roadway with less fixtures than ever before and they do have very good control over the spread of the light. Most towers have barn doors on them that adjust that spread and keep it out of areas where it is not supposed to be.
And yes, the early Front street lighting was a high output fluorescent that used an undulating or waffled type of tube. Very common in service stations of the same era.

Great postcard but, in 1910, women would have been wearing ankle-length skirts and wide-brimmed hats. Those cloche hats and skirt lengths are from the Flapper age. So I would place that image as being circa 1925-26 which was when women actually, for a year or so, actually bared their knees.

ETA: I just noticed what looks like a date in the lower RH corner. 1927

Great postcard but, in 1910, women would have been wearing ankle-length skirts and wide-brimmed hats. Those cloche hats and skirt lengths are from the Flapper age. So I would place that image as being circa 1925-26 which was when women actually, for a year or so, actually bared their knees.

ETA: I just noticed what looks like a date in the lower RH corner. 1927

Actually, I apologize for repeating the online date given, whereas if I had thought about it, I would have remembered that the Princes' Gates opened in 1927.....

Not only that, but the Electrical Building on the left is 1928, and the Avtomotive Bvilding on the right is 1929.

Esplanade 1894:

esplanade1894.jpg

Today (thanks to Jasonzed):

aerialesplanadejasonzed.jpg

Attachments

• esplanade1894.jpg
    esplanade1894.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 905
  • aerialesplanadejasonzed.jpg
    aerialesplanadejasonzed.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 919
View downtown from Broadview 1980:

viewdowntownfrombroadview1980.jpg

Today (thanks to Hanlansboy):

viewdowntownfrombroadview.jpg

1980:

viewofcityhallfrombraodview1980.jpg

Now:

viewofcityhallfrombroadviewnow.jpg

Attachments

• viewdowntownfrombroadview1980.jpg
    viewdowntownfrombroadview1980.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 907
  • viewdowntownfrombroadview.jpg
    viewdowntownfrombroadview.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 954
  • viewofcityhallfrombraodview1980.jpg
    viewofcityhallfrombraodview1980.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 873
  • viewofcityhallfrombroadviewnow.jpg
    viewofcityhallfrombroadviewnow.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:
Some thoughts:

- 1980 is when Cabbagetown was just starting to gentrify. The houses bordering Riverdale Park look a bit shabby then, no?
- Check out the Merchandise Building and 222 Jarvis!
- Riverdale Park didn't have as many trees - you can see all the way up Spruce St! It also still had a barn (wonder when that came down?) and there is street parking on Riverdale park Rd
- RBC Plaza under construction, before the gold glass was hung!

1980 is when Cabbagetown was just starting to gentrify. The houses bordering Riverdale Park look a bit shabby then, no? Riverdale Park didn't have as many trees - you can see all the way up Spruce St! It also still had a barn (wonder when that came down?)

Good observation. I live in one of those houses on Spruce. And it's nice to see they planted all those trees in the later picture to give a bit of a buffer from the park. Sadly we lost some of those trees in the ice storm.

Good observation. I live in one of those houses on Spruce. And it's nice to see they planted all those trees in the later picture to give a bit of a buffer from the park. Sadly we lost some of those trees in the ice storm.

I've just moved there as well...a bit further north, between Sumach & Sackville). I was surprised how much sound carries up the valley into Cabbagetown proper from the DVP and rail line...and am thankful we have as many trees as we do to provide a sound buffer.

- RBC Plaza under construction, before the gold glass was hung!

Oh, Royal Bank Plaza was complete in 1980, gold glass and all--it's only that the photo doesn't capture the sparkle (sunlight conditions aren't always equal)

OTOH if you're thinking of that concrete elevator shaft in the second photo, that belongs to the south tower (Cadillac Fairview) of the Eaton Centre.

Back