News   Jul 12, 2024
 828     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 747     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 317     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then. The Ontario Veterinary College. Dundas and University SW corner. c1916. Those of you with good memories may remember I 'did' this corner a few years ago with another Then picture. Todays Then picture was sourced by wwwebster and I'm taking another opportunity to ruminate on the loss of what was to me a fine and dignified building.

Was it demolished when University Avenue was widened? And speaking of the Richmond and Bay image, it would be nice to get those globular streetlamps back.

Yeah, it lasted until c1990, when the present 438 Uni was built--though was it the same building, or did it undergo Moderne-ish alterations, or what? We need a latter-day photo of it for comparison's sake. (Anyway, it came across as a pretty turgid Ontario gov't building t/w the end)

Yeah, it lasted until c1990, when the present 438 Uni was built--though was it the same building, or did it undergo Moderne-ish alterations, or what? We need a latter-day photo of it for comparison's sake. (Anyway, it came across as a pretty turgid Ontario gov't building t/w the end)

I seem to remember it having that stripped-down, cornice-less air about it (with probably bad replacement windows) typical of the time.

Can't find a latter-day shot but here's another earlier view:

universitydundas.jpg

Attachments

• universitydundas.jpg
    universitydundas.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 691
Then and Now for May 21, 2013.

Then. Convocation Hall, University of Toronto. c1916. To my eye, one of the stranger buildings in Toronto; large and impressive, a standout and somewhat odd.

1117ConvocationHallc1916_zps9ea7bd8e.jpg

Now. April 2013.

1118_zps1b208020.jpg

Last edited:
'Hats off!' to Queen Victoria.
The Gulyas family outdid the Duke of Connaught (1911) with their enthusiasm.

I expect Victoria is "not amused" by the lack of judicious tree-trimming.

I find the search function here quite infuriating so apologies if somebody has posted this before.

This photo is from the Todmorden Mills collection. The Ice Company at 230 (possibly wrong) Browning c 1970.

ACMI00010040.jpg

I took this today. It's at 236 Browning and now for sale for $899K.

ETA: Today I learned that this was originally called the Lake Simcoe ice Company.

Capture.jpg

Attachments

• ACMI00010040.jpg
    ACMI00010040.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 819
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 824
Last edited:
The building that was on the site of the EMS building was the Sons of England Benevolent Society.

"The Sons of England Benevolent Society was founded in Toronto in 1874 as a mutual benefit association catering exclusively to Protestant Englishmen and their male descendants. Using the Sons of England as a case study, this paper attempts to reconcile British ethnic-national fraternalism with recent work exploring the function of voluntary association as a constitutive element of liberalism. While the political positions of British organizations were often contrary to the tenets of liberalism, these associations nonetheless incorporated core liberal principles such as voluntary initiative, self-help, and democracy as organizational objectives. By developing a concept of English brotherhood, adopting an educational and social ethos, and establishing a public identity as a patriotic society, the Sons of England, like other fraternal societies, helped structure a liberal social order. The society functioned in large part as a resource for the development and performance of patriotic masculinity, a gendered civic ideal that featured Anglo-Protestant men as a representative social category in " From: Histoire sociale/Social history Volume 45, Number 89, Mai-May 2012 pp. 25-50 Todd Stubbs: Patriotic Masculinity and Mutual Benefit Fraternalism in Urban English Canada: The Sons of England, 1874–1900

It’s not a great quality scan, but I do like this image of the Lumsden Building with most of its awnings unfurled:

BookReaderImages.php

Quote - themark:
"I always thought that was one of the most god-awful buildings in downtown - but with the Awnings it looks very handsome. Maybe that was the original architects intention. It would be cool if they brought it back (we don't use windows for light anymore anyways…)."

Since reading that criticism of the Lumsden Building, I've felt the need to reply with my contrarian viewpoint.
Long after the awnings, I admired the Lumsden Building on each and every visit to that neighbourhood of Yonge St. The beautiful and unique architecture has a special place in my concept of design.
When passing-by last weekend, I had the great pleasure of shooting these pics.
There's no doubt that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Good point, Goldie. One should also put the Lumsden Building in its architectural context of exemplifying the Edwardian Classical style in an office building format. A good description of this style is on the site www.ontarioarchitecture.com, which contains examples on King West:

Edtoronto.jpg

With the description:

Like many Edwardian buildings, this factory on King Street has an imaginative frontispiece and exaggerated lintels on an unremarkable rectangular brick building.

The piers of the frontispiece are highlighted by heavy stone bands that encompass the Ionic columns. Above this is a lunette with banded voussoirs, an inflated keystone and a Baroque- inspired segmental curved pediment with stone dentil blocks. The pediment is supported by weighty but not ornate brackets.

Rather than a profusion of Classical details as in the Beaux Arts Classicism, Edwardian buildings have one or two concentrated Classical motifs. The stone portico or frontispiece with heavy horizontal banding on a dark building is a standard feature.

And at Queen and Spadina:

Edtor2.jpg

Like the example above, this is a commercial building with exaggerated details. The design of the building is reminiscent of Italian Palazzo design. The ground floor is of a different material from the above floors, and the building is capped with a large cornice.

The Edwardian influence is easily recognizable. The second floor has oversized keystones. The first and third floor windows have colonettes with heavy bands. On the lower floor, there is a three-part window with an architrave. The front entrance is on a corner. It is flanked by two columns and topped with a balustraded balcony.

Another good example of the style is St. Charles Court at 30 Charles Street East, built in 1915 and historically designated:

StCharlesCourt.jpg

Attachments

• Edtoronto.jpg
    Edtoronto.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 567
  • Edtor2.jpg
    Edtor2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 521
  • StCharlesCourt.jpg
    StCharlesCourt.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
I find the search function here quite infuriating so apologies if somebody has posted this before.

This photo is from the Todmorden Mills collection. The Ice Company at 230 (possibly wrong) Browning c 1970.

View attachment 13112

I took this today. It's at 236 Browning and now for sale for $899K.

ETA: Today I learned that this was originally called the Lake Simcoe ice Company.

View attachment 13113

A handsome property. That private driveway adds much to the desirability. Thanks for going there and taking a Now picture, Ex-Montreal Girl. :)

Last edited:

Back