News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"Eclectic decor. And hey,... it's not part of a corporate chain."
QUOTE: Mustapha.

THE BILTMORE HAT CO is no longer a Canadian company, they having been bought by

American interests and moved to Texas, July past.

Of incidental note, the only men's custom hat shop in Toronto, if not Ontario, is the Leon Drexler Co.
(All other hat shops only sell "Brand Name" hats; there is not one "maker", even if their name is on the label.)

http://leondrexler.com/New_Leon_Drexler_Website/Home.html

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Then and Now for March 26, 2013.

Then. 'The Canadian Bank of Commerce, Market Branch, Jarvis and King NW corner. c1922.'

1023KingJarvisNWc1922.jpg

Now. September 2012. No longer a bank; offices now...

1024.jpg

"You mean they don't even have Guelph operations anymore? Shame... "
QUOTE: adma.

It is a shame but, being a former "volume manufacturer" most of their production was to the USA in the form of fedoras.

This was not a belly-up deal, and I should have made that clear; the US company were the owners for quite some time,

and are more involved with western style hats so the move will add to their Texas production under one roof.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Then and Now for March 27, 2013.

Then. Nine Dundas West. Dec. 14, 1939. That arched doorway on the left; a narrow driveway actually, is something I sauntered by many times on the way to and from Chinatown in my youth; I'm not sure why it remains stuck in my mind...

1025.jpg

Now. September 2012.

1026.jpg

Then and Now for March 28, 2013.

Then. Rear 21 Elizabeth Street. May 15, 1913. The paper sign tacked upon the house says: 'UNSANITARY'.

1027.jpg

Now. September 2012. Nathan Philips Square.

1028.jpg

I miss Sai Woo. It was the main Chinese restaurant of my childhood. :(

Partners 'Garfield' and 'Norman' (Bill Wen passed away years ago) are still very much around. I would guess they are about 80. You would probably recognize them if you saw them; Garfield was the little guy and Norman was the tall good looking one.

I miss the place too, but there was no shortage of Chinese eateries in this city last I looked. :)

Back