1.9K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

bablw.jpg

July 9 addition.

Bay and Bloor looking at SW corner.

733a.jpg

Hmmmm - I loved the Zumburgers at Bay/Bloor and Yonge/Bloor. It was downhill for Yonge/Bloor after that, especially when Roy Rogers rode into town.

I like Harvey's, sorry to say; it's been a lifelong thing. The experience is predictable.:) as I don't like food surprises. Toby's Good Eats was ok.. burgers weren't bad at all. There used to be several around the city, including the most recently departed Yonge and Bloor branch.

Last edited:
July 10 addition.

Yonge just N of Bloor looking NNE.

You must be psychic.
I saw this one the other day & thought it was a good one for you. (Fish & Chips only 75¢)

Timmy's landlord should put the roof back on.

You must be psychic.
I saw this one the other day & thought it was a good one for you. (Fish & Chips only 75¢)

Timmy's landlord should put the roof back on.

Can't explain my fondness for fish and chips. A childhood thing. The one closest to where I grew up at Yonge and Sherwood was 'Maritime Fish and Chips', closed about 40 years now. The only central one is in the Eaton Centre north food court.

I don't like Chippys; they leave the skin on the chips. Horror.

If I didn't eat them I wouldn't have to do cardio, but I must and I shall.:eek:

I like Harvey's, sorry to say; it's been a lifelong thing. The experience is predictable.:) as I don't like food surprises. Toby's Good Eats was ok.. burgers weren't bad at all. There used to be several around the city, including the most recently departed Yonge and Bloor branch.

I used to know Toby. His owner(s?) had an antique/second hand/design store (can't recall the name alas) on the west side of Yonge Street just north of the Rosedale subway station. Toby would laze on the sidewalk out front just waiting for anyone passing by to make a fuss over him. Living in a basement flat in Summerhill, I would pass him daily and we would often have a bit of a cuddle. You can't imagine my surprise when he became a local celebrity in the hospitality industry!

Can't explain my fondness for fish and chips. A childhood thing. The one closest to where I grew up at Yonge and Sherwood was 'Maritime Fish and Chips', closed about 40 years now. The only central one is in the Eaton Centre north food court.

I don't like Chippys; they leave the skin on the chips. Horror.

If I didn't eat them I wouldn't have to do cardio, but I must and I shall.:eek:

740a.jpg

Waves Fish and Chips as shown in the photo above was quite good - very British and mod/hip. Today, Primrose F&C on Mount Pleasant is pretty decent as is Thistle F&C in a strip mall in Burlington.

Last edited:
Primrose, or Penrose?

Personally, I don't mind Harbord F&C as an older and less "trendy" alternative to Chippy's...

Primrose, or Penrose?

Personally, I don't mind Harbord F&C as an older and less "trendy" alternative to Chippy's...

Penrose - I stand corrected. Thanks.

Do you by any chance remember the name of the shop where Toby used to hang out? It's driving me nuts! I phoned a friend in Victoria to see if he could remember, but like myself, he could only recall Early Savage, and of course they were on Avenue Road.

Honestly don't know. The only antique joint in that stretch that pops to mind is/was Prince Of Serendip...

Back