News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"The melted-butter aroma from those carts is such a strong memory. I can smell it as I type."
QUOTE: nostalgic.

Don't forget the chesnuts!

Regards,
J T

I was just wondering whether there were any around that still had the chestnuts. I've been wanting to try them for ages.

Or earlier than 1980, perhaps? (I'd think sometime circa the Yonge subway extension + the Wilson-York Mills connection in the early-mid 70s makes sense--then again, I could be wrong)

Yes, it might have been earlier than 1980. I seem to recall it may have been used as a garage or storage depot in it's last years.

Thanks JT, Anna, DSC and themarc for bringing up the C.W. Jeffreys house. It has always looked plaintive sitting there by itself, a simple small elegant house on its large lot. The intersection of Yonge and York Mills/Wilson at rush hour looks like an evacuation order in progress. I hope that house has found an appreciative owner. I know I would feel pretty lonely living there in the midst of thousands of workers and commuters...

Then and Now for March 5, 2013.

Then. Shell gas station Yonge and York Mills. c1955-ish; prior to the Yonge street widening - the old station here was replaced by the newer one that you can see in last night's 'Then' picture.

The gasoline buying experience as represented by these old style stations is dying out - the bathrooms off to one side of the building, etc. You still find them in small towns but they are disappearing fast. Lack of business might be one reason.. I know when my wife sees these she tells me to keep driving to the next - modernized - gas station -she prefers the facilities of the modern stations.

It's interesting to think of the progress of the gas buying experience - from the curbside pumps of the 1910s and 20s to 'filling stations' [as my dad called them] to today's superstations.

997.jpg

998.jpg

995.jpg

996.jpg

Nows: August 2012.

Thanks JT, Anna, DSC and themarc for bringing up the C.W. Jeffreys house. It has always looked plaintive sitting there by itself, a simple small elegant house on its large lot. The intersection of Yonge and York Mills/Wilson at rush hour looks like an evacuation order in progress. I hope that house has found an appreciative owner. I know I would feel pretty lonely living there in the midst of thousands of workers and commuters...

Mustapha I'm sure you've seen these but here's what the neighbourhood used to look like.

s0065_fl0144_it0004.jpg

s0065_fl0144_it0005.jpg

s0065_fl0144_it0010.jpg

s0065_fl0144_it0011.jpg

s0065_fl0144_it0012.jpg

s0065_fl0144_it0014.jpg

s0065_fl0144_it0049.jpg

s0065_fl0144_it0046.jpg

s0065_fl0144_it0047.jpg

Interesting pictures Anna; I've not seen any of them. It's nice that the Toronto Archives are busy scanning and adding.

Just musing: there was never a 'general store' at the crossroads of York Mills and Yonge, at least in pictures I've seen. I suppose the homeowners went north to Lansing or south to Lawrence Park for supplies.

Last edited:
Then and Now for March 6, 2013.

54 and 56 Saint Patrick st. c1974 or 5-ish, perhaps even later. That's a 1974 Volvo in the picture. I had a 73. Horrible car, underpowered and rusted after 5 years. Power steering was optional. Anyhoo, back to the picture.. these are row houses; interesting how they were 'marooned' like that.

999StPatrickSt1970s_edited.jpg

Now. August 2012.

1000.jpg

I'm off until Monday. See ya'.

Interesting pictures Anna; I've not seen any of them. Toronto Archives are busy scanning and adding.

Just musing: there was never a 'general store' at the crossroads of York Mills and Yonge, at least in pictures I've seen. I suppose the homeowners went north to Lansing or south to Lawrence Park for supplies.

Wasn't there the Hogg Brothers' store next door to the Jolly Miller a little further south?

Oh, re the Shell station: I'm intrigued by the "Open 24 hours" sign--how many 24 hour stations existed in 1955?

Wasn't there the Hogg Brothers' store next door to the Jolly Miller a little further south?

Oh, re the Shell station: I'm intrigued by the "Open 24 hours" sign--how many 24 hour stations existed in 1955?

You are right adma. I went looking for a picture of the store but no luck so far.

24 hour gas.. I suppose pre-Don Valley Parkway, Yonge was a major north/south route and there was lots of demand for gas.

24 hour gas.. I suppose pre-Don Valley Parkway, Yonge was a major north/south route and there was lots of demand for gas.

And on top of that, by 1955 there was a major east/west route in formation just to the north: the 401...

is this what you are referring to?
s0065_fl0144_it0036.jpg

I remember sneaking down there to buy "fruit-flavoured" sugar that we used to lick off a candy stick. (It was probably just Jello powder.) It might have been a proper store long before the 1950s. I'm sure I've seen a City Archives photo of a store on the east side of Yonge St., about halfway up the hill north of York Mills.

For shopping in the early 1950s... my mother went north on Yonge to a Loblaws around Spring Garden or Hollywood. There was a Kresges in the same block. And of course for hardware, there was Dempsey's, a wonderful store crammed full of good stuff. The small shopping plaza at Bayview and York Mills opened later in the ‘50s (Koffler's Drugs, Dominion, a bank, hardware, Hunts bakery...)

Back