News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 916     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The decor was very 'country' complete with 'olde tyme' signs over each merchandise stall - yet all the faces of the vendors looking out at us were Chinese...

I had dinner at 'British Style Fish and Chips' [Dundas just a few feet E of Coxwell] the other day. The owner is Chinese. Very good fish and chips. He even has the latest issues of 'The British Canadian' newspaper available. For free. :)

I don't recommend eating in; it's quite the greasy spoon. Takeaway is fine.

Goldie. The Concourse Building. Go an take some pictures inside as a memento before the rebuild. They will probably only save the facade.

Heya.

One of our readers here, let's call her 'Judy', attended Orde Street School in the late 50s'. She would like to know if any readers here went to Orde and see themselves or people they know in these two pictures.

These 'pupils' - do they still call them that?, would be in their mid 60s now?, I'm guessing...

1959-60OrdeStPSJudysclass_zps8cb6c5ba.jpg

1959-60OrdeStJudysclass_zpsb3e288b5.jpg

Orde is still in the school business.. the school is north of the Spadina and Queen intersection and just east off Spadina on Orde street. It's my wife's old school. She went to Lord Landsdowne and Harbord too.

I had dinner at 'British Style Fish and Chips' [Dundas just a few feet E of Coxwell] the other day. The owner is Chinese. Very good fish and chips. He even has the latest issues of 'The British Canadian' newspaper available. For free. :)

I don't recommend eating in; it's quite the greasy spoon. Takeaway is fine.

When my business partner and I set out in business last year, we set a goal of eating at every fish and chip shop in Toronto. As we travel around a fair bit, we thought it would be a good game. We're about 2/3 of the way through, just a few shops in the far ends of the city, and British Style was by far one of the better ones (we even ate in...) I would also recommend B&B on Queen E. if you're over that way. No eat in space, not much English from the owners, but good fish and chips.

Then. 'Jan. 15, 1947. Lawrence Ave. about 150' west of Yonge looking EAST.' Some interesting old street lights here. Night time must have been a lot darker in Toronto in those days; even supposing if something like a 120 watt incandescent bulb was used. Borin' you yet?

I have one of these fixtures, exactly the same one. It would have used a 509 watt street lamp bulb, clear, mogul base. I use the fixture on the rear of my cottage, of course it just has a new compact fluorescent bulb in it, I have a special adapter so I can keep the original porcelain socket in it.
My wife's grandparents were the superintendent of a building just south of here. 3000 Yonge St. a very nice complex in it's day! This was in the early 80's and they still had some neat old bunker C boilers in use as well as garbage incinerators. I used to help shovel the ashes out of that!
I'll take the opportunity to post a photo of said fixture,
2855c4b2-8772-48c8-9c90-92694c99fd5e_zpsaf54a196.jpg

It's grand to see such things being 'recycled.'
I'll bet someone has created a home from an old Red Rocket - any photos?

Well, I have a story close to that. My father (also the one who salvaged the streetlight) and his grandfather, used to live at 1309 Queen east. This was just down the street from the TTC Russel car house. When the TTC was scrapping out Whits, they carried enough of the Whit windows home to enclose the front porch. 1309 Queen is now gone, replaced by some sort of townhouse complex.

Heya.

One of our readers here, let's call her 'Judy', attended Orde Street School in the late 50s'. She would like to know if any readers here went to Orde and see themselves or people they know in these two pictures.

These 'pupils' - do they still call them that?, would be in their mid 60s now?, I'm guessing...

1959-60OrdeStPSJudysclass_zps8cb6c5ba.jpg

1959-60OrdeStJudysclass_zpsb3e288b5.jpg

Orde is still in the school business.. the school is north of the Spadina and Queen intersection and just east off Spadina on Orde street. It's my wife's old school. She went to Lord Landsdowne and Harbord too.

Wow, look at all that plaid.

Well, I have a story close to that. My father (also the one who salvaged the streetlight) and his grandfather, used to live at 1309 Queen east. This was just down the street from the TTC Russel car house. When the TTC was scrapping out Whits, they carried enough of the Whit windows home to enclose the front porch. 1309 Queen is now gone, replaced by some sort of townhouse complex.

Wouldn't it be great to see a photo of that porch with the streetcar windows?
Now that's a real Toronto history story! Thanks mattelderca.

When my business partner and I set out in business last year, we set a goal of eating at every fish and chip shop in Toronto. As we travel around a fair bit, we thought it would be a good game. We're about 2/3 of the way through, just a few shops in the far ends of the city, and British Style was by far one of the better ones (we even ate in...) I would also recommend B&B on Queen E. if you're over that way. No eat in space, not much English from the owners, but good fish and chips.

Thanks for the rec. On my way. :) There is a yelp review for this place where the reviewer complains about the greasiness of the food. :)

Not a home, but a burger place has a PCC car you can eat in. Hwys 89 and 10, a couple hours NW of Toronto.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/superburger-mulmur

You can even do a Google streetview and look at it.

Last edited:
I have one of these fixtures, exactly the same one. It would have used a 509 watt street lamp bulb, clear, mogul base. I use the fixture on the rear of my cottage, of course it just has a new compact fluorescent bulb in it, I have a special adapter so I can keep the original porcelain socket in it.
My wife's grandparents were the superintendent of a building just south of here. 3000 Yonge St. a very nice complex in it's day! This was in the early 80's and they still had some neat old bunker C boilers in use as well as garbage incinerators. I used to help shovel the ashes out of that!
I'll take the opportunity to post a photo of said fixture,
2855c4b2-8772-48c8-9c90-92694c99fd5e_zpsaf54a196.jpg

509 watts? You could fry fish with that.

3000 Yonge is still an asset to the streetscape; it's a rental of course, a late 50s I think, vintage building, but adds a mid century ambience to this section of Yonge. Many dog walkers outside in the evenings.

Wouldn't it be great to see a photo of that porch with the streetcar windows?
Now that's a real Toronto history story! Thanks mattelderca.

The square stones that used to but no longer fill the space between streetcar tracks - lots of them in a pile behind One Spadina Crescent. A former neighbour had many in her yard. She eventually paid to have them taken away.

Back