News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 882     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"Just a seque to a bit of numismatic history; up until 1944 Chartered Banks could issue their own paper money."
QUOTE: Mustapha.

A W Austin, the engraving of the man which is seen on the banknote's left side, died during 1934 and is entombed within the Austin Mausoleum,

St James Cemetery. Those grounds within St James constitute the largest private plot provided by the cemetery.

BTW, a friend of my ex business partner & I is related . . .

http://austinair.ca/

Now you know why it is named Austin Air Products.

Regards,
J T

Whose father James (1813-1897) founded the Dominion Bank in 1871, lived in Spadina House, and whose biography is the history of 19C Toronto (including his apprenticeship with William Lyon Mackenzie prior to the Rebellion of 1837):

http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?id_nbr=5938

pictures-r-5260.jpg

Spadina House in 1880 (TPL). Caption reads: Children on lawn are Elma & Margaret Arthurs; also on lawn, left to right, Jane Watson (governess), Mrs. James Austin, James Austin, Mrs. G. A. Arthurs; in carriage, Albert W. Austin, Ada Arthurs; on verandah, Catherine Bright.

Last edited:
Thats my dad so any questions?!

Ha! It would be ironic given that his hotel room was bombed in 1967 in the Sutton Place Hotel. Myer Rush, our own Hyman Roth (aka Meyer Lansky) fled to Panama and was sentenced to 10 years in prison for stock fraud. The case enthralled Toronto in the 60's. Not sure what happened to him and Google isn't much help.....

Then and Now for January 9, 2013.

Then. Parker's Dye Works. circa-someone-will-have to-tell-me; I'm guessing 1900-ish?. Bismarck was a small east/west street that was situated where the Metro Reference Library is now. Fittingly, this 'Then' image is from the TPL Collections.

903.jpg

Now. July 2012.

904.jpg

Tomorrow - an amazing Parkdale survivor. Stand by. :)

Canada's Paper Money and the use of Canada's $1000 Bill...

Mustapha: That 1930s era $10 bill with a map of Canada was quite interesting...

I must add this link: www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/ to the Bank of Canada's interesting website...

They unfortunately have less information about Canada's bank notes then they once had...

I recall that they discontinued printing and regularly circulating the $1000 note because of the
very reason mentioned in the Canada Post article-that it was primarily used by the criminal element...

There is good information there about Canada's new Polymer bank notes...in the subject of design and
materials they are so far ahead of the USA in this manner...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
Mustapha: That 1930s era $10 bill with a map of Canada was quite interesting...

I must add this link: www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/ to the Bank of Canada's interesting website...

They unfortunately have less information about Canada's bank notes then they once had...

I recall that they discontinued printing and regularly circulating the $1000 note because of the
very reason mentioned in the Canada Post article-that it was primarily used by the criminal element...

There is good information there about Canada's new Polymer bank notes...in the subject of design and
materials they are so far ahead of the USA in this manner...

LI MIKE

Thanks LI MIKE, paper money has been around since 800, when the Chinese introduced it; this polymer stuff represents real progress. Let's hope though, that our new money doesn't disintegrate into little flakes, as is the wont of some plastic products.

Then and Now for January 9, 2013.

Then. Parker's Dye Works. circa-someone-will-have to-tell-me; I'm guessing 1900-ish?. Bismarck was a small east/west street that was situated where the Metro Reference Library is now. Fittingly, this 'Then' image is from the TPL Collections.

903.jpg

791 Yonge is approximately where the reference library is now, but Bismarck is not gone - it was renamed Asquith at some point (most likely around WW1):

http://data2.archives.ca/e/e428/e010696101_a2-v8.jpg

Parker's has come up before on this thread.

Thanks Mustapha - that Globe article is certainly interesting.

And the dollar figures, amazing!
"City records show the home was built for the tidy sum of $1,600."
And the recent 'asking price' was $4,695,000.

"City records show the home was built for the tidy sum of $1,600."
QUOTE: The Globe & Mail.

Wishful thinking, to say the least.

Regards,
J T

Goldie, I agree with JT. A decimal might have been transposed somewhere.. $16,000., is more like it IMHO.

$1600. would have bought you a Sears 'kit house' - materials only, no labour, or should I say labor - at least in the USA experience. :)

http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/bydate.htm

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes, it was a wartime thing.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...lgDAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jygDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5869,2358680

Interesting that Albertus was not changed.

How fascinating, thanks Anna.

My barber in the 1960s had his place on Craighurst; where the alterations/tailoring place is now. He mentioned to me that it was named Roper. Didn't mean anything to this 10 year old at the the time. I didn't know until now it was war related.

By the way, Albertus extended all the way to Avenue Road in the past. Then at some point, perhaps during WWI?, the section between Avenue Road and Rosewell was renamed Cortleigh.

Last edited:

Back