News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for July 25.

Then. 'May 19, 1915. Pumping Station.' On Eastern near Coxwell.

694.jpg

Sewage pumping stations in particular as public infrastructure investments provide a return that immeasurably more than justifies their original investment; doubly so as they are public health necessities and the investments must be made. This plant received some upgrades in 2010 and is still operational.

Municipal infrastructure is one of the most fascinating subjects, for me anyways! Especially from a historical perspective.

Many Many Years ago (30 to be exact ;) ) I went to Centennial College at Progress and Markham road.

I remember that there used to be a undeveloped area on Military Trail just North of Ellesmere Road. Is it still there? Does anyone have pics of this area then and now?

:)

Many Many Years ago (30 to be exact ;) ) I went to Centennial College at Progress and Markham road.

I remember that there used to be a undeveloped area on Military Trail just North of Ellesmere Road. Is it still there? Does anyone have pics of this area then and now?

:)

Is this the area to which you refer? - Attached aerial photo
The land surrounding Military Trail is undeveloped where it goes through Highland Creek Valley.
I believe that's a preserved conservation area.

Attachments

• Military Trail-Ellesmere.jpg
    Military Trail-Ellesmere.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 287
"Yonge and Bloor. c1920s?"
QUOTE Mustapha.

The Wrigley sign was a collaboration between J Allen Ross, Pres of Wm Wrigley Co and E L Ruddy. (Sign Co)

Both men having, and continued to, drive about Toronto looking for the most advantageous sign sites.

Regards,
J T

It is a great sign isn't it? Thanks JT. I don't believe that the gum is packaged that way anymore. A good chew; the flavour didn't last long though.

Fascinating stuff.

I've always been amazed at the house size inflation over the last 50 years, and the last 25 in particular. My own house, a typical wooden bungalow of the type built en masse in my neighbourhood during the inter-war period, is only about 900 square feet. Within that seemingly small space, people managed to raise families of 3,4,5 or more children, yet I am currently working on a project where the living room is the same size (more or less).

Leading to the question: what on God's green earth do people do with all that space?

Leading to the question: what on God's green earth do people do with all that space?
they decorate it

"we work jobs we hate so we can buy crap that we don’t need" -- fight club

great video selection, lemur

it reminded me about the old joke when someone says "you can't have everything" to which the response was "where would you put it?"

to which my reply is "i'd leave everything right where it is... see that tree over there? that's mine, and so's that ravine, and that river..."

Last edited:
"you can't have everything" to which the response was "where would you put it?"
QUOTE r937.

Another take:

Q) What do you give a person that has "Everything"?

A) STORAGE SPACE.

Regards,
J T

Back