News   Jul 12, 2024
 826     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 747     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 317     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Thanks wwwebster and k10ery for the bios.

JT, that is an interesting link. Imagine; underground rivers undermining St. Mikes - who knew? :)

The weekend is here; so time for some non-Then-and-Now content.

We go to 357 Bay street.

DSC_0328.jpg

CSC_0333.jpg

CSC_0331.jpg

How about I turn these doors into a Then and Now? The plaque says that the doors graced the main entrance. Looks like in the archival pics they weren't actually the "front" doors:

f1244_it2057.jpg

Last edited:
Some great, simply breathtaking pictures of New York architecture and street life here by Berenice Abbott:

http://collections.mcny.org/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult_VPage&VBID=24UP1GTRW1DR&SMLS=1&RW=1185&RH=743

And then when you have scoured the website above; check out the Berenice Abbott exhibit at our AGO. I went; very worthwhile. Nice selection of photobooks in the gift shop. :)

http://www.ago.net/berenice-abbott-photographs

I've always admired the work of Berenice Abbott.
Her photo of the 'gunsmith' sign recalls the image of Weegee attempting a similar photo:

BereniceAbbott1937-gunsmith.jpg

Weegee-gunsmith.jpg

How about I turn these doors into a Then and Now? The plaque says that the doors graced the main entrance. Looks like in the archival pics they weren't actually the "front" doors:

f1244_it2057.jpg

thecharioteer, I will print your post and append it to the plaque.

Somebody's a gunna-get-fired. :)

How did you know of these coincidental photographs? Wonderful. Thank you Goldie. :)

I've been a fan of both Abbott and Weegee (Arthur Fellig) for many years and have studied a few of their books.
Dozens of their GREAT photos can be seen these days by a simple name search on Google.

Then and Now for Jun 18.

Heya, tonite we completed our 4th anniversary for this thread. :)

Then. 52 Poplar Plains Rd. c1910. F.S. Baker, Architect.

62052PoplarPlainsRdc1910.jpg

Now. October 2011.

621.jpg

The brick looks yellow to me, the original picture also looks lighter than red brick. Minor detail I guess.

Then and Now for Jun 18.

Heya, tonite we completed our 4th anniversary for this thread. :)

Then. 52 Poplar Plains Rd. c1910. F.S. Baker, Architect.

62052PoplarPlainsRdc1910.jpg

Now. October 2011.

621.jpg

Exhibition at City of Toronto Archives

Found in today's issue of OGS Toronto Branch Electronic Bulletin:

New exhibition at the City of Toronto Archives

Picturing Immigrants in the Ward: How photography shaped ideas about Central and Eastern European immigrants in early 20th-century Toronto. Toronto's City Hall is built on land with a long and fascinating history. Explore the Ward like never before through historic photographs and new work from contemporary photographer Susan Dobson. Curated by Sarah Bassnett and Patrick Mahon

Admission: FREE!

Where: City of Toronto Archives, 255 Spadina Road, toronto.ca/archives

When: Opens to the public Friday June 22, 2012
Hours: M to F 9:00 to 4:30

Found in today's issue of OGS Toronto Branch Electronic Bulletin:

New exhibition at the City of Toronto Archives

Picturing Immigrants in the Ward: How photography shaped ideas about Central and Eastern European immigrants in early 20th-century Toronto. Toronto's City Hall is built on land with a long and fascinating history. Explore the Ward like never before through historic photographs and new work from contemporary photographer Susan Dobson. Curated by Sarah Bassnett and Patrick Mahon

Admission: FREE!

Where: City of Toronto Archives, 255 Spadina Road, toronto.ca/archives

When: Opens to the public Friday June 22, 2012
Hours: M to F 9:00 to 4:30

Amazingly I've visited only once. The large, quiet and somewhat lush lobby area had a display at the time of photographs not available online.

"My knowledge of 1812 for better or worse came from Pierre Berton's books "
QUOTE Mustapha.

I was having a fine day (the rain aside) until you mentioned that man's name.

Regards,
J T

What... you don't like his writing style? :) He was certainly productive - a book a year. He also wrote '1967 - The Last Good Year'. It was indeed.

Back