Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"56 Chestnut Park Road. c1910. Residence of J.B. McCarter."
QUOTE Mustapha

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1912:

McCarter, John B
President of Eclipse Whitewear Co Ltd.

Regards,
J T

""Eclipse Whitewear" can still be seen atop the building at the NE corner of King and John."
QUOTE Blovertis.

That building was the first "settlement" for The Toronto Sun Newspaper.

Regards,
J T

I didn't "miss it", but I do miss Ronald Reagan!

Heh... for me, the only association the words "miss" and "Ronald Reagan" evoke is "John Hinckley, Jr.". But to each his own, I suppose. :)

Last edited:
I picked up this old 'Zippo' brand pocketknife at The St. Lawrence Antique Sunday Market a few weeks ago. A knife in the pocket or purse comes in handy for all sorts of small tasks and emergencies. This one is especially flat, one of the flattest I've seen; so it won't bulge your pocket or bag.

DSCF4519.jpg

I was intrigued by the Niagara Falls connection. The Zippo company no longer manufactures in Canada. A 'Google' will uncover the (former) address and a 'Streetview' will show the former factory up for rent, or was, at the date of the Google camera car driving by.

Far from me bemoaning the death of durable goods manufacturing in Canada, or in this case, small light industry; you have to wonder about the economic cost of smaller communities loosing even a handful of jobs. Anyways, enough editorializing; my real excuse was to show a couple of thought provoking pictures. Below is the Zippo company car in front of Niagara Falls. That thing on the roof is of course the iconic Zippo lighter; an object that had made so many appearances in cinema with it's auditory signature 'click click'.

3363520358_19a5c21273_b.jpg

If anyone recognizes the logo on the knife, please let us know. :)

Ah, the Zippo sign was an unsung NF landmark for years (esp. to Skylon Tower-goers looking the other way from the falls)

And of course, Bradford PA is the place for all Zippo fetishists...

Interesting!

As it happens a few weeks ago I found a rusty old Craven A lighter out in the woods
(well, it looks old, but I think the logo suggests a more recent heritage - do they even make Craven A's anymore?)

A knife in the pocket or purse comes in handy for all sorts of small tasks and emergencies. This one is especially flat, one of the flattest I've seen; so it won't bulge your pocket or bag.
i concur on both points -- a knife is always handy to have with you, and a flat one is awesome

my zippo was made in bradford, pottsylvania (boris and natasha reference) and my logo says "be moe" (moses horwitz reference)

Attachments

• zippo-knife-2.jpg
    zippo-knife-2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 233
  • zippo-knife-1.jpg
    zippo-knife-1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 235
"56 Chestnut Park Road. c1910. Residence of J.B. McCarter."
QUOTE Mustapha

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1912:

McCarter, John B
President of Eclipse Whitewear Co Ltd.

Regards,
J T

"Eclipse Whitewear" can still be seen atop the building at the NE corner of King and John.

Well,.. I've spent a bit of time on the internet this weekend trying to determine what in blazes 'whitewear' actually is. If anyone knows, please pipe up. :)

i concur on both points -- a knife is always handy to have with you, and a flat one is awesome

my zippo was made in bradford, pottsylvania (boris and natasha reference) and my logo says "be moe" (moses horwitz reference)

r937, It took me several seconds to make the connection. :) nyuk nyuk (Curly Howard reference).

Back