News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 964     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 365     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Last edited:
I remember Sambo's growing up--we had a couple of them in Columbus. The chain died largely because its marketing was based around the "Little Black Sambo" story (although that was allegedly not where the name came from originally). Even though they tweaked the imagery to feature a little light-skinned kid in a turban, the racism accusation dogged them and the chain was eventually dismantled.

Folks who like a good retro diner should visit Shake Rabble 'n' Roll in Whitby on Dundas St. Although consciously retro, the decor is nicely done and the homeburgers are tasty. Better yet, come on Saturdays during the summer--there's generally a cruise with vintage cars going in the adjoining parking lot and field.

Yes, thanks FAC33, for the reminder that the rural highway or small town diner consciously (or unconsciously) retro may be the last bastion of the time travel dining experience..

"House of Chan is still with us, although I've never been."
QUOTE Mustapha.

House of Chan is a steakhouse, contrary to what some people thought/think.

Regards.
J T

The Lakeview on n/s Dundas, east of Ossington.
(Toronto Refrigeration built interior.)

Regards,
J T

Just west of Ossington on Dundas, the Quality Inn is more or less untouched by time. It's a bit grubby, and has sporadic hours, but the same man who used to serve my father in the 1950's works there still.

Last edited:
We purchase the Sunday NYT from time to time; indeed we used to have it delivered with the Globe, but that was more of a commitment than I had planned.

Last edited:
Just west of Ossington on Dundas, the Quality Inn is more or less untouched by time. It's a bit grubby, and has sporadic hours, but the same man who used to serve my father in the 1950's works there still.

Never heard of this place but I know something of it now, thank you Earlscourt_Lad. I found this charming review online:

"This place is for the leftover fringe-dwellers who truly don't belong anywhere on Ossington: Robert-Smith-esque lipsticked women in their 50s, swingers who want a low-key place to hide, and talkative Brazilian locals who want you to do more than turn on your snobbery-topped stool.

No one really eats here, so I don't suggest getting any food. Despite it being a "Chinese restaurant", there is no Chinese food to be seen, which is probably a good thing -- the owner never really wants to make anything on the menu, anyway. No matter what you crave, the only thing you'll get are mediocre fish and chips and, if you're lucky, a side of expired ketchup! Zing!

Still, this place is one of my favourite, truly kitschy off-Ossington drinking holes. Despite its awkward silence, old smell, and unfriendliness to outsiders, I find myself comforted here when I want to escape the pretension of young urban life. The decor is makeshift true vintage, the cash register is the same charmer they've had since the '50s, and it's usually empty (save the Robert Smith/swinger couple/chatty old local) so I can always grab a booth and get away from the world for hours on end.

Come for the drink, stay for the awkwardness. If you're expecting something a bit more polished and vibe-y, go to Lakeview. We don't want your kind around here, anyhow."

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/quality-inn-chinese-restaurant-toronto

I'll bet a dollar my dad knows the owner - the Chinese Canadian community in the 50s all knew each other.

I'll bet a dollar my dad knows the owner - the Chinese Canadian community in the 50s all knew each other.

Oddly enough, I thought of you when I was there last. The owner, myself, and a friend were having a great talk about the Chinese community in Toronto years ago. The summation was that it was a three-degrees of separation world, where most people were in a few occupations (laundries and restaurants being primary). Interesting things about saving to bring family over and there was lots more that I've forgotten; it was 3 in the morning or so.

Then there's the matter of Chinese take-out; I think that International Chop Suey (complete w/vintage sign) might still be around on Kingston Road in the North Beach (and then there's the Fords' favourite: the Mayflower in Royal York Plaza)

How many years ago did Sai Woo disappear. I still miss it.

They closed in 2001. Let's see; the owners, Norman, Garfield, Bill Wen,.. met Norman last month; still erect and handsome; he's about 80. My wife is a distant relation of Norman.

From the family archives:

DSCF1003.jpg

DSCF1004.jpg

DSCF1005.jpg

DSCF1009.jpg

Back