976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Hilltop and Eglinton
5456703490_a7aebbcacb_b.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

"North side of Eglinton between Oriole and Spadina."
No. North side of Eglinton between Oriole and Avenue Road.

But it's the south side photos that are interesting. That empty space just east of Avenue Road is still there!

But even after 45 years away from TO you could dump me on that block, take off the blindfold, and I would still know where I was.

But it's the south side photos that are interesting. That empty space just east of Avenue Road is still there!

But even after 45 years away from TO you could dump me on that block, take off the blindfold, and I would still know where I was.
There is a side street there on the east side of the petrol station.
Just a few memories from around here, Burger Flame. A computer store, just west of Avenue Rd north side circa 1979 (?) where a friend bought his first Apple II Plus. The Eglinton theatre with a date or two. Eating lunch at the Eglinton subway station restaurant the one with the curved counter and orange stools. Riding the Avenue Rd trolley out of the station.

Last edited:
Hmm... A self serve grocery! What a novel concept. Hating the self checkouts we have now, just hire another person will ya.
First pic, Loblaw's

Hmm... A self serve grocery! What a novel concept. Hating the self checkouts we have now, just hire another person will ya.
First pic, Loblaw's

Canadian Tire, and Home Depot for that matter, used to employ legions of high schoolers as part time employees. I 'vote' with my money and have been taking it to the local corner hardware..

A store that doesn't hire local labour doesn't support its community. Rant off.

Last edited:
Just a few memories from around here, Burger Flame. A computer store, just west of Avenue Rd north side circa 1979 (?) where a friend bought his first Apple II Plus. The Eglinton theatre with a date or two. Eating lunch at the Eglinton subway station restaurant the one with the curved counter and orange stools. Riding the Avenue Rd trolley out of the station.

mattelderca,

Do you mean Burger 'Shack'? It's still there. Good fries.

Last edited:

The modern Petrocan station replaced an old, indeed, very old, 20s vintage gas station only about 10 years ago.

And the trolley wires coming off the cable. :(

I would have expected a high rise instead of that "petrol" station long before this -- or would it have spoiled the view of UCC?

Duncannon and Eglinton West
westofduncannon.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

Interesting that in this case the retail was built after the housing was, with space left for the retail buildings.
Reminds me of Vegas circa 2009; half-built housing (usually gated) developments, bordered by a giant swath of land off the main road for big-box plaza purposes.. cept in Vegas' case, nothing's gettin built!
Google Streetview Visual Aid

http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp

So much of America was photographically documented; and so well. I wonder if there is an archive somewhere of Canadian pictures of such immediacy and beauty.

Yes, that photography from the U.S. Library of Congress is truly wonderful.
Particularly the work of FSA (Farm Security Administration) photographers during the depression years.
Much work by the famous photographers: Dorthea Lange, Arthur Rothstein, Russell Lee, and many more
The comments at the end to the above site are also worth reading.

Canada has a photo library (National Archives) at: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/02/020115_e.html
However, I found it difficult to browse and the photography is somewhat plain.
Attached are a couple of photos I found - nothing comparable to the US site!

Our own, City of Toronto Archives, is one of the best!

Attachments

• a020936.jpg
    a020936.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 289
  • a143700.jpg
    a143700.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 285

Back