News   Jul 12, 2024
 981     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 852     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The Bank of BRITISH NORTH AMERICA???? Now THAT'S what I call . . . !!!!!!!OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!

As stated in Wikipedia: "The Bank of British North America was founded in 1835 in London, England with offices in Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Saint John, New Brunswick, Halifax and St. John's, Newfoundland. It also operated agencies in New York City and San Francisco. Like the other Canadian chartered banks, it issued its own paper money. The bank issued notes 1852-1911.
It merged with the Bank of Montreal in 1918. "British North America" was the common name by which the British colonies and territories that now comprise Canada were known prior to 1867."

It does have a ring of 19th century imperialism!

Ok, just for some light hearted fun: :)

Eaton Centre Food Court.

Then 2010. Now September 5 2011.

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

CSC_0472.jpg

I used to come here once a week for fish and chips - so that's gone. It was just as well, my body will thank me I suppose. I've only had about 12 fish and chip meals in the last 12 months. Before, it was way too frequent for that kind of food... but it was close by the Eaton Centre GoodLife gym, itself also now closed and relocated to the old Arcade Building.

The new food court lets you eat off real china with real cutlery, but the food is the same - KFC, Subway, and the like. The surroundings are quite upscale from the usual mall food court. It's also quite a bit larger than the old food court. By the way, the south food court is closed...

I miss the London Fish and Chips. It was one of the best values downtown. I wonder if the family opened up another restaurant somewhere:confused: If so I would love to track them down.

As for the new food court, its mostly overpriced from what I saw unless you stick with the chains like McDonalds, A&W, Subway :mad:

I miss the London Fish and Chips. It was one of the best values downtown. I wonder if the family opened up another restaurant somewhere:confused: If so I would love to track them down.

As for the new food court, its mostly overpriced from what I saw unless you stick with the chains like McDonalds, A&W, Subway :mad:

Peepers, London Fish and Chips was a chain at one time. From memory, they had locations in Yorkdale and Fairview malls that I can recall. The lady owner in the picture seemed quite sad last July when I took the picture and wished her luck - and a hopeful reappeareance. She recommended I go to the place in St. Lawrence Market for fish and chips. Although that place is good, it's not the UK style that I (and you) like. :(

Does anyone remember (I'm sure you do) when the Eaton Centre opened, and the "now" Food Court used to be part of Eaton's known as 3 Below. Accessible by a single width escalator. I used to buy my Lee jeans there!

As stated in Wikipedia: "The Bank of British North America was founded in 1835 in London, England with offices in Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Saint John, New Brunswick, Halifax and St. John's, Newfoundland. It also operated agencies in New York City and San Francisco. Like the other Canadian chartered banks, it issued its own paper money. The bank issued notes 1852-1911.
It merged with the Bank of Montreal in 1918. "British North America" was the common name by which the British colonies and territories that now comprise Canada were known prior to 1867."

It does have a ring of 19th century imperialism!

Let's not forget that the Bank of British North America also produced one of the finest buildings in Georgian Toronto at the NE corner of Yonge and Wellington, designed by John Howard and built in 1845:

f1498_it0003.jpg

Bank_of_British_North_America_1867_Toronto.jpg

Plans_for_bank_of_British_North_America_Toronto.jpg

View from the east (1856), behind horse and buggy:

f1498_it0005.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone remember (I'm sure you do) when the Eaton Centre opened, and the "now" Food Court used to be part of Eaton's known as 3 Below. Accessible by a single width escalator. I used to buy my Lee jeans there!

I remember. My wife and I used to date and shop down there. The piped in music at 4pm on September 6 1980 (I'm makin this up, tis just an approximation) was 'Echo Beach' (not makin this up). :)

It's bittersweet to think of ones courting days sometimes. In pre-computer and cell phone days it seemed that walking for hours downtown in and around the Eaton Centre windowshopping constituted romantic time together. For those with more means a movie once a week. A landline phone call and an arranged time to meet - with alternative arrangements in case of delay - made the hearts of the dating couple race faster at the rendezvous.

Mustapha crumples a moist kleenex. :)

Last edited:
Let's not forget that the Bank of British North America also produced one of the finest buildings in Georgian Toronto at the NE corner of Yonge and Wellington, designed by John Howard and built in 1845:

f1498_it0003.jpg

Bank_of_British_North_America_1867_Toronto.jpg

Plans_for_bank_of_British_North_America_Toronto.jpg

View from the east (1856):

f1498_it0005.jpg

thecharioteer, amazing to see pictures clear as day, and plans too, for a building that lasted only about 30 years, and has been gone for about 136 years.

thecharioteer, amazing to see pictures clear as day, and plans too, for a building that lasted only about 30 years, and has been gone for about 136 years.

I know. The clarity makes one think about time travel. Reading a new book called The Map of Time by Spanish writer Felix J. Palma, takes place in Victorian London and includes H.G. Wells as a character. Will keep you posted.....

I know. The clarity makes one think about time travel. Reading a new book called The Map of Time by Spanish writer Felix J. Palma, takes place in Victorian London and includes H.G. Wells as a character. Will keep you posted.....

Well, while we wait for your book review, we'll all continue to experience Time Travel vicariously through the medium known as looking at old photographs...

Inspired and moved by brewsters recent posts using the interposing/overlayment of old pictures on a new scene, I went looking for other practitioners of this difficult technique.

http://dearphotograph.com/

Hope you all:

1. Get enough sleep tonite.

2. Have a productive day at work tommorrow. :)

Inspired and moved by brewsters recent posts using the interposing/overlayment of old pictures on a new scene, I went looking for other practitioners of this difficult technique.

http://dearphotograph.com/

That's a great site Mustapha, thanks for the tip.
The creator is Canadian too - from Kitchener.
Here's a site with a video in which he explains his idea: http://www.scoop.it/t/dear-photograph

I once attempted a variation of that idea:

xMorrishstore-photo-combowithcaption.jpg

Last edited:

Back