News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 908     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

August 15 Then and Now.

Then. The Martin Building. c1916. 340 Richmond St. West. Pic provided by wwwebster. Another dignified Then and Now building portrait.

136340RichmondWestc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011.

137CSC_0827.jpg

JT, do you know what business Mr. Martin was in? He commissioned a mighty handsome building. It's small in scale and the open floor plan hints at some sort of light industry.

"do you know what business Mr. Martin was in? He commissioned a mighty handsome building." QUOTE Mustapha.

Well, by 1918 which means 1917 in MIGHT'S speak, The National Chicle Co was the inhabitant of note. (Walter G Atkinson mgr)

The only other place to look at this time (1:15 AM) is INTERNETARCHIVE.ORG. (I do not have anything between

the above Might's & 1910 Might's.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
August 15 Then and Now.

Then. The Martin Building. c1916. 340 Richmond St. West. Pic provided by wwwebster. Another dignified Then and Now building portrait.

136340RichmondWestc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011.

137CSC_0827.jpg

JT, do you know what business Mr. Martin was in? He commissioned a mighty handsome building. It's small in scale and the open floor plan hints at some sort of light industry.

richmondpeter1941.jpg

richmondpeter.jpg

richmondpeter1990.jpg

richmondpeter2.jpg

Last edited:
"do you know what business Mr. Martin was in? He commissioned a mighty handsome building." QUOTE Mustapha.

Well, by 1918 which means 1917 in MIGHT'S speak, The National Chicle Co was the inhabitant of note. (Walter G Atkinson mgr)

The only other place to look at this time (1:15 AM) is INTERNETARCHIVE.ORG. (I do not have anything between

the above Might's & 1910 Might's.

Regards,
J T

*sound of keyboards tapping out 'chicle' in Google... :) *

"*sound of keyboards tapping out 'chicle' in Google... " QUOTE Mustapha.

Seems to be a "gum" company.

Regards,
J T

And the UofT want to replace THE WINDOWS? !

They should look to the owners of "The Carpet Factory", (Bobby & Mike) where the original windows continue in place.

What say ye Earlscourtlad?

Regards,
J T

August 16 Then and Now.

Then. 260 Richmond West. c1916. Tip-Top Tailors Building. Picture sourced by wwwebster. And you thought the one on Lakeshore was the first one. I know I did.

138260RichmondWestc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011. Note the addition on the right [east]. The painted sign on the left [west] side has survived nicely. Its likely that the traffic going in one direction - westerly - on this one way street - means that modern commercial signage on this west facing wall can't be seen, hence its preservation. But whatdoIknow. :)

139.jpg

Last edited:
"Not following what you're sayin here." QUOTE Mustapha.

Chicle is/was the ingredient in the manufacture of chewing gum. Adam's Brands or the forerunner thereof may have "invented"

the process that we now have, even predating Wrigley. I am not that familiar with Adams but I do know that Wrigley had many,

many, many acres of chicle under cultivation.

As an addition, Adams Brands was the originator of the "Chicletts" brand with Wrigleys debuing? a similar product by the name

P K. Gum. The two letters of the aformentioned denoted Wm Wrigley Jr's son, Phillip Knightly Wrigley.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
August 16 Then and Now.

Then. 260 Richmond West. c1916. Tip-Top Tailors Building. Picture sourced by wwwebster. And you thought the one on Lakeshore was the first one. I know I did.

138260RichmondWestc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011. Note the addition on the right [east]. The painted sign on the left [west] side has survived nicely. Its likely that the traffic going in one direction - westerly - on this one way street - means that modern commercial signage on this west facing wall can't be seen, hence its preservation. But whatdoIknow. :)

139.jpg

Looks like there was also another Story added to the building at one time.

And the UofT want to replace THE WINDOWS? !

They should look to the owners of "The Carpet Factory", (Bobby & Mike) where the original windows continue in place.

What say ye Earlscourtlad?

Regards,
J T

It says a great deal about the current mentality of architects that they would seek to remove excellent examples of 19th century fenestration.

It says a great deal about the current mentality of architects that they would seek to remove excellent examples of 19th century fenestration.

It really depends on the developer, architect, the project and the municipal requirements. FIVE St. Joseph, for example, is being required to reproduce exactly the original windows on both the restored Yonge Street stores (with fenestration ranging from the 1860's to 1920's) and the St. Joseph facade, designed by ERA Architects and approved by Preservation Services (i.e. Heritage) at the City:

StJoseph_StreetSE_ViewD01_HR05.jpg

StJoseph-II_YongeStSW_ViewC01_HR022.jpg

It really depends on the developer, architect, the project and the municipal requirements.

You're quite right in that it is possible. It's been my experience, however, that it is typically not done or not done very well. I don't like to nay say a project I don't know much about, but the complexity and the detail in the original Knox windows is likely to cost a significant amount to replicate. Basically, these windows are much more complex than the six over six stuff at 5 St. Joseph, which are all basically rectangular hung windows.

I can see this getting cut, and a cheaper option gone for. Likely dressed up as an interest in energy efficiency.

I could be, and I rather hope I am, wrong.

Back