News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I was in the area last Sunday and I remembered having the then pic stored somewhere.

Front looking west at Jarvis ca. 1870/80s - 2011

5861037304_b4731720e9_b.jpg

BTW - I am having an exhibit on a few of my Then and Now Mashups at the Rivoli this summer. Opening night is on June 30 7-10pm and the exhibit runs until Sep 3rd. For more details visit: www.f11project.com (Click on the artisit's name for show info and pics) Thanks and nuff love... Alden

I was in the area last Sunday and I remembered having the then pic stored somewhere.

Front looking west at Jarvis ca. 1870/80s - 2011

5861037304_b4731720e9_b.jpg

BTW - I am having an exhibit on a few of my Then and Now Mashups at the Rivoli this summer. Opening night is on June 30 7-10pm and the exhibit runs until Sep 3rd. For more details visit: www.f11project.com (Click on the artisit's name for show info and pics) Thanks and nuff love... Alden

Looking forward to your show, Alden. My best wishes for creative and commercial success.

June 23 addition.

Then. "Jan. 10, 1935. Rear SE corner of Winchester and Medcalfe". Actually it's the SW corner and it's Metcalfe with a 't".

71.jpg

Now. June 2011. No changes here. An older elegant unmolested walkup apartment on an equally elegant corner in Cabbagetown. The handsome church in both pictures is St. Enoch's Presbyterian Church, built in 1890, now home of The Toronto Dance Theatre.

72.jpg

Front and Bathurst - Doty engine works (Berg Machinery), Bathurst st. Bridge

Those of you with an interest in Toronto's industrial heritage might find the following post engaging.

As some of you may know, the Doty Engine Works (seen here as the 'Berg Machinery' tower on the right) is scheduled to be demolished later this summer to make way for condominiums.

A Victorian-era industrial fixture of the Front and Bathurst neighbourhood for over 120 years, the building has been home to the Rock Oasis climbing gym for the last 13 years.

Then: (1916)
Berg-BathurstbridgentoFront1916-1.jpg

Now (for the time being)
Berg-BathurstbridgeNtofrontmodernIMG_3168-1.jpg

To mark this sad occasion (I am a climber at Oasis) I have written a (somewhat lengthy) sentimental essay about the Victorian and early 20th century history of the building at this site, and the heritage context of the surrounding neighbourhood. I also interview Rock Oasis's founder about the history of the climbing gym, and examine the economic forces and policy framework that led to the building's looming destruction.

The essay can be found here. If you read it I hope you enjoy it, and feel free to share with anyone else you think might be interested.

In the essay, you'll find several other 'then and now' photo comparisons, as well as other historical depictions of the area. And now that I've finished tooting my blog post at you, some specific comments about the above two photos:

• Observe the older, thinner steel truss bridge -- this would be replaced later in 1916 with the 1903 Humber river bridge -- still angled SW.
  • I've deliberately shifted the 'Now' photo angle rightward -- so that a sliver of the spire of St. Mary's can still be seen (draped in green scaffolding immediately to the left of the tower) Amusingly, the bridge's (1931) realignment visually masks this shift. (obviously, I'm also considerably further back)
  • The GO trains run a little cleaner than those of the Grand Trunk Railway. The archeological excavation in the front of the Now shot are believed to be the remains of a 1855 GTR engine house.
  • You can also see the one of the two huge gasholder structures NW of the bridge.

Thanks for reading!

Those of you with an interest in Toronto's industrial heritage might find the following post engaging.

As some of you may know, the Doty Engine Works (seen here as the 'Berg Machinery' tower on the right) is scheduled to be demolished later this summer to make way for condominiums.

A Victorian-era industrial fixture of the Front and Bathurst neighbourhood for over 120 years, the building has been home to the Rock Oasis climbing gym for the last 13 years.

Then: (1916)
Berg-BathurstbridgentoFront1916-1.jpg

Now (for the time being)
Berg-BathurstbridgeNtofrontmodernIMG_3168-1.jpg

To mark this sad occasion (I am a climber at Oasis) I have written a (somewhat lengthy) sentimental essay about the Victorian and early 20th century history of the building at this site, and the heritage context of the surrounding neighbourhood. I also interview Rock Oasis's founder about the history of the climbing gym, and examine the economic forces and policy framework that led to the building's looming destruction.

The essay can be found here. If you read it I hope you enjoy it, and feel free to share with anyone else you think might be interested.

In the essay, you'll find several other 'then and now' photo comparisons, as well as other historical depictions of the area. And now that I've finished tooting my blog post at you, some specific comments about the above two photos:

• Observe the older, thinner steel truss bridge -- this would be replaced later in 1916 with the 1903 Humber river bridge -- still angled SW.
  • I've deliberately shifted the 'Now' photo angle rightward -- so that a sliver of the spire of St. Mary's can still be seen (draped in green scaffolding immediately to the left of the tower) Amusingly, the bridge's (1931) realignment visually masks this shift. (obviously, I'm also considerably further back)
  • The GO trains run a little cleaner than those of the Grand Trunk Railway. The archeological excavation in the front of the Now shot are believed to be the remains of a 1855 GTR engine house.
  • You can also see the one of the two huge gasholder structures NW of the bridge.

Thanks for reading!

Good grief plink... thank you!

June 24 Then and Now.

Then. 35 Chestnut Park Road. c1909. Photo provided by wwwebster.

5535ChestnutParkRdc1909.jpg

Now. June 2011. Our 1909 home has been extensively modified on the outside. It is only a few minutes walk from Rosedale subway station. That hedge is perfection too.

5635chestnutpark.jpg

The evil mess made by tagging and graffiti "art" pales in comparison to the ravages of commercial signage. My Hall of Shame award for the worst goes to the buildings on the west side of Yonge opposite where the new Ryerson building will go - the upper floors are plastered entirely with ads, though I have no idea what the quality of the architecture is like beneath them.

June 24 Then and Now.

Then. 35 Chestnut Park Road. c1909. Photo provided by wwwebster.

5535ChestnutParkRdc1909.jpg

Now. June 2011. Our 1909 home has been extensively modified on the outside. It is only a few minutes walk from Rosedale subway station. That hedge is perfection too.

5635chestnutpark.jpg

Mustapha, it may be that you've taken the "now" from another angle; the main entrance rounded canopy is visible at the side as a reference.

Back