News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 942     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Does anyone have access to a photo of the Norwegian Air Force barracks that were behind Maple Leaf Stadium during the war (1941)?
I believe their camp was in the same area as the parking lot in this 1926 photo (Attached).
As many will know, Norway trained many pilots at the Island Airport during wartime.

Thanks in advance, if a photo can be found.

Goldie, click on this link. Scroll down to the ninth picture.

http://www.emb-norway.ca/Embassy-and-Consulates/norwaycanada/Historical-ties/littlenorway/photos/

Wow, parking was worse then than it is now. Heh. I'm sure various pictures of "Little Norway" would be fascinating. During the 70's, which I'm really looking forward to, if anybody has any, would show the small neighbourhood that kids could build their ideas in various pieces of wood, tires, ropes, etc. It was torn down before 1980, but I visited the place once and found it quite remarkable...as a kid.

Old Banker :)

It certainly has been - I opened an account there as a child when it was The Bank of Toronto!

There were some great pictures on this thread of The Bank of Nova Scotia at Bloor & Spadina. I worked there in the late 1970's in the Ledger Department. Coffee at the Varsity Restaurant was 35 cents. I was remembering the days when if you did not make it to the bank by 6:00pm on a friday to cash your cheque, you were sadly out of luck.

Thank you to everyone for making this such a terrific place to visit.

It certainly has been - I opened an account there as a child when it was The Bank of Toronto!

Everyone: I kept staring at this picture looking at the autos and the PCC Streetcars and I believe that this is from the mid to late 60s...the one item I would like to have in this pic as a collectible is that ONT Route 5 sign that is visible below the Jones Av. sign on the right...In closing I enjoy looking at pictures like this to remember my own childhood as well as thinking what life was like in Toronto back in the 60s...

LI MIKE

Revisit to an August 2010 thread with a "new" Then picture provided by ValsHere.

That TD bank branch has been there a very long time.

JonesDanforth1965.jpg

Mustapha and Everyone: This is the pic I describe in my post just above...I noted 1965 mentioned and that looks right...
LI MIKE

Wow, parking was worse then than it is now. Heh. I'm sure various pictures of "Little Norway" would be fascinating. During the 70's, which I'm really looking forward to, if anybody has any, would show the small neighbourhood that kids could build their ideas in various pieces of wood, tires, ropes, etc. It was torn down before 1980, but I visited the place once and found it quite remarkable...as a kid.

Agreed. I seem to remember an incarnation of that Little Norway "adventure playground" as late as 1985, though I could be mistaken. (Seems to have existed at the extreme-hardcore edge of 70s-style hands-on child's play experimentalism: cf. Ontario Place's Children's Village. Unfortunately, the liability risks behind setting up something similar today must be staggering.)

Little Norway history

Thanks, Mustapha, for that excellent site - it will please the gentleman with whom I have been corresponding regarding "Little Norway."
He remembers that the Norwegian airmen also had a campsite on the Island, near Gibraltar Point.
He saw that Island camp when he was 7 years-old and also remembers when a Norwegian pilot, in training, crashed into the Sam McBride ferry-boat about 1944 (attached photo).

Attachments

• Sam%20McBride%20June%201941,%20After%20Plane%20Strike[2].jpg
    Sam%20McBride%20June%201941,%20After%20Plane%20Strike[2].jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 314
Back at Bloor & Bay - I don't travel much out of my comfort zone. Zumburger was mentioned and I came across this photo. Having said that, I think this is looking west from just before Bay.
f0124_fl0002_id0040.jpg

Yeah, in the future Bemelman's space.

Interesting how the corner building appears to be de-signed--if so, likely in preparation for the present 77 Bloor. (And I'm trying to figure out whether those are false quoins or Deco zigzag motifs in its facade.)

Agreed. I seem to remember an incarnation of that Little Norway "adventure playground" as late as 1985, though I could be mistaken. (Seems to have existed at the extreme-hardcore edge of 70s-style hands-on child's play experimentalism: cf. Ontario Place's Children's Village. Unfortunately, the liability risks behind setting up something similar today must be staggering.)

Yeah, I bet even Children's Village (I spent a lot of time there) would be as well. Unfortunately the brains in the Ontario government have completely ruined Ontario Place. The Forum was one of Toronto's great music venues.

There were some great pictures on this thread of The Bank of Nova Scotia at Bloor & Spadina. I worked there in the late 1970's in the Ledger Department. Coffee at the Varsity Restaurant was 35 cents. I was remembering the days when if you did not make it to the bank by 6:00pm on a friday to cash your cheque, you were sadly out of luck.

Thank you to everyone for making this such a terrific place to visit.

Ah yes, pre-ATM days. Were'nt they wonderful. I actually spent less money in those days. Nothing focused the mind and budget like running out of cash. :)

Last edited:
Back at Bloor & Bay - I don't travel much out of my comfort zone. Zumburger was mentioned and I came across this photo. Having said that, I think this is looking west from just before Bay.
f0124_fl0002_id0040.jpg

Correct about the location.

Zumburger... never ate there. Well, at least we still have Frans.

Everyone: I kept staring at this picture looking at the autos and the PCC Streetcars and I believe that this is from the mid to late 60s...the one item I would like to have in this pic as a collectible is that ONT Route 5 sign that is visible below the Jones Av. sign on the right...In closing I enjoy looking at pictures like this to remember my own childhood as well as thinking what life was like in Toronto back in the 60s...

LI MIKE

I stare at them too. Then I hit "post". :) Thanks LI Mike. Hope you make it back to Toronto soon.

Yeah, I bet even Children's Village (I spent a lot of time there) would be as well. Unfortunately the brains in the Ontario government have completely ruined Ontario Place. The Forum was one of Toronto's great music venues.

Childrens Village is gone, right?

The Forum - watched Franky Valli there in 1980 or so. Free show. Walked right in. What they charge for a concert now.. I'll keep my hand on my wallet.

June 13 addition.

Then. "Feb. 18, 1935. Bathurst st at Barton ave looking N".

43.jpg

Now. April 2011. The building on the NW corner that replaced the church is the Vermont Square (formerly Barton Place) long term care home. I'd always passed this early 60s (guessing here) vintage building without a thought and had no idea it replaced a church of some size.

44.jpg

Back