News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 882     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"According to a relative's memories of her waitressing days, McDougald always ordered the same meal, and he wasn't a very good tipper." QUOTE GenerationW.

So, prey-tell, were did Bud "hang-out, & his regular meal was . . . ?

I can only envision him eating at The Toronto Club (private club - no tipping) or The King Edward Hotel during the week.

I cannot imagine him with more than $50.00 in his pocket at any one time.

Regards,
J T
Not sure what the meal was, but the place was the long-departed (but not forgotten) Don Valley restaurant. Their fries'n'gravy was to die for!

What I also find interesting on that map is that Heath Street continues from Yonge Street right on over to Bayview. It's broken by the ravine now, and it's pretty steep. It continues on as Clarence Ave, past Welland and the Belt Line railway. Mt. Pleasant isn't even there (South of Merton). And they called it the "Provincial Lunatic Asylum", right by the Central Prison in Liberty Village. Railways went from the Beach, over to the island via the Eastern Gap (what we currently call it), over to where the Billy Bishop Airport is, then back to the City.

Some of the old maps are wishful thinking. I have a map from 1926 thats shows Lakeshore Blvd crossing on to the islands at the airport and continuing on past the Eastern Gap. Obviously never happened beyond the map.

What I also find interesting on that map is that Heath Street continues from Yonge Street right on over to Bayview. It's broken by the ravine now, and it's pretty steep. It continues on as Clarence Ave, past Welland and the Belt Line railway. Mt. Pleasant isn't even there (South of Merton). And they called it the "Provincial Lunatic Asylum", right by the Central Prison in Liberty Village. Railways went from the Beach, over to the island via the Eastern Gap (what we currently call it), over to where the Billy Bishop Airport is, then back to the City.

Some of the old maps are wishful thinking. I have a map from 1926 thats shows Lakeshore Blvd crossing on to the islands at the airport and continuing on past the Eastern Gap. Obviously never happened beyond the map.

April 8 addition.

Then. Same crowd as last nights Then and Now. Still waiting for the King car.

f1257_s1057_it0025.jpg

Now.

DSC_2604.jpg

Working so close, i don't know why i waited almost 2 years to take this then shot. Thank good for the handy dandy Blackberry cam. I finally got it done. :)

5599240313_d50ddb0ba4_b.jpg

April 8 addition.

Then. Same crowd as last nights Then and Now. Still waiting for the King car.

f1257_s1057_it0025.jpg

Now.

DSC_2604.jpg

I was about to comment on the fact that one never seems to see homeless people in the "Then" pics, until I searched for "homeless" on the Archives site. It obviously is not a new phenomenon, as evidenced by the following pic, probably taken in the bandshell in Queen's Park:

homeless.jpg

The frequency of a major port's bridges would have epic moving bridges of some sort that wouldn't have stopped, even when they would have to carry rail and road. Something like Ford Nation. Hehe.

Our Island Airport (Billy Bishop Airport) seems to be a popular place once again - with Porter and Air Canada doing business there.
The site was once a cottage and entertainment centre before being cleared for the airport.

TNIslandAirport.jpg

Last edited:
Our Island Airport (Billy Bishop Airport) seems to be a popular place once again - with Porter and Air Canada doing business there.
The site was once a cottage and entertainment centre before being cleared for the airport.

I would have loved to watch a baseball game at hanlans.

Working so close, i don't know why i waited almost 2 years to take this then shot. Thank good for the handy dandy Blackberry cam. I finally got it done. :)

5599240313_d50ddb0ba4_b.jpg

I've never seen the inside of the MARS centre, thanks for this. I didn't know it was Atrium concept, but of course only the facade was saved, so I'm not surprised.

Back