News   Jul 12, 2024
 981     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 852     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Here's a night time photo ca 1920 of the corner when it was dressed up as a theatre (I have a long way to go with my Historic Toronto Theatre page, but every addition is a step in the right direction):
I0021957.JPG

This is a great image. Quite the odd light hanging above Gould street. Looking at your Historic Theatre page I am reminded of what a loss the Fairlawn was. It was as grand as the Carlton and the University theatres downtown. :(

Last edited:
March 16 addition. Let's take a one day break from the Yonge and Dundas area.

Then. A 1920s view of Yonge, looking N. Taken from the rail bridge over the subway. We are just S of Shaftesbury. Shaftesbury. I had to say that again, I feel like a British diplomat when I say it.

The building at top right was the Rosedale Hotel. It served the North Toronto railway station which is out of the picture to the right.

The Rosedale Hotel was torn down at some point [please don't cite me on this one as a date source :) )and; when I was in short pants in the 1960s, it was the site of a restaurant complex known as the Ports of Call.

Did any of you - ahem - older people go there? It had some sort of "Kon-Tiki" historical value that has survived down through the years to be of some import to a segment of our hipster population that in interested in this kind of thing. Strangely enough my daughter, perhaps being one of them, has vintage 60s "Polynesian" nick nackery in her home. But I digress.

f1231_it0423.jpg

Now. March 2011. Why no, I was in no danger at all taking this picture.

DSC_1237.jpg

Last edited:
The original house as I see it was of clapboard construction and only afterward was fronted with a brick covering;

the side/rear left with stucco. I do not believe the house was demolished - the second above pic showing a major reno only.

This seems to be the (last pic) fourth reno. (super reno!)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
" it was the site of a restaurant complex known as the Ports of Call." QUOTE Mustapha.

Paul McNamara was the principal re the above as well as the s/side of the street which "housed", a fast food restaurant known as

"P M's". I was known to frequent both. (on occasion)

Loads of free parking as well.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"Perhaps the mortar between the bricks was mixed improperly - accelerating damage by water - hence the parging. " QUOTE Mustapha.

I believe the mortar to be just fine; the problem has a number of causes.

1) Water ingress from leaking roof/flashing, hence the renewed roof? and or flashing.

2) "Fancy", brickwork as in the orientation of the brick as well as recessing of the same.

3) Likely total absence of past tuckpointing leading to water penetration.

FYI: Brick is to be considered permanent with the mortor being rather a soft temperary.

ALSO -

More stone/brick walls have been dispatched by careless tuckpointing than I care to remember.

Most tuckpointing/mortor replacement now-a-days is attackedby with the use of power grinders which

after numerous jobs destroy the brick. Historic properties should always be finessed with

hammer and chisel. - BIG MONEY!

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"This means that the hole in the ceiling of those 1890s thru 1940s houses vents into the attic. Not good." QUOTE Mustapha.

That senerio to my mind is not to be considered "best practice", in that it may introduce humid air to the attic area causing

moisture problems. Either a dedecated roof vent/pipe or (as you now know, I am not a plumber) a joint to the plumbing vent

might sufice.

Regards,
J T

Yes. I went to Ports of Call, once or twice. When it first opened the indoor decor was quite a talking point. There were five restaurants, each with its own atmosphere and menu. My girlfriends got there first and encouraged me to go. My parents' wedding anniversary was coming up so I decided to take them. We walked in and the owner quickly recognized them, greeted them by name and shook them by the hand--he was the son of a family who were neighbours of ours in our Centre Island days twenty years before.

How long did the place last? Anyone know?

Yes. I went to Ports of Call, once or twice. When it first opened the indoor decor was quite a talking point. There were five restaurants, each with its own atmosphere and menu. My girlfriends got there first and encouraged me to go. My parents' wedding anniversary was coming up so I decided to take them. We walked in and the owner quickly recognized them, greeted them by name and shook them by the hand--he was the son of a family who were neighbours of ours in our Centre Island days twenty years before.

How long did the place last? Anyone know?

Its name was later shortened to "The Ports"; and it was all torn down (ex-Rosedale Hotel and all) in the early 80s...

(I have a long way to go with my Historic Toronto Theatre page, but every addition is a step in the right direction)

These articles from the trade journal Construction may be of interest to you. The individual pages are jpegs that can be saved to your hard drive, but for some reason you have to zoom WAY in to get the best results.

Loew’s Yonge Street (now Elgin & Wintergarden), April 1915 (12 pages):

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour08macduoft#page/132/mode/2up/

Shea’s Hippodrome, April 1915 (7 pages, followed by Beaver, Big Nickel and York Theatres):

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour08macduoft#page/144/mode/2up/

Allen (later Tivoli) Theatre, 13 Richmond East, February 1918 (7 pages):

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour11macduoft#page/38/mode/2up/

New Princess Theatre, 167-173 King West, February 1918 (5 pages):

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour11macduoft#page/n69/mode/2up/

Allen’s Bloor (now Lee’s Palace), May 1919 (6 pages):

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour12macduoft#page/146/mode/2up/

Allen’s Danforth (now Music Hall), November 1919 (6 pages):

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour12macduoft#page/344/mode/2up/

Pantages Theatre & Loew’s Uptown, November 1920 (12 pages):

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour13macduoft#page/338/mode/2up/

I have the 1960 version of this book. I have to get it digitized, but the pages are huge, and bigger than the scanner bed at my Kinkos.

I have the 1973 version. Scanned it at some point but the scans have long gone missing.

Location of "Then"

Then. 1778-1780 Dundas Street West April 28, 1939, before the Jog removal.

s0372_ss0003_it1395.jpg

Now. March 2011.

IMG_00561.jpg

Thanks for that "Now" photo, TKWizard.
You must have shot from a street car, yes?
I'm not familiar with that intersection.
Was the old three-storey gas station at A, B or C? ---- see thumbnail

Attachments

• intersection.jpg
    intersection.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 306
"Perhaps the mortar between the bricks was mixed improperly - accelerating damage by water - hence the parging. " QUOTE Mustapha.

I believe the mortar to be just fine; the problem has a number of causes.

1) Water ingress from leaking roof/flashing, hence the renewed roof? and or flashing.

2) "Fancy", brickwork as in the orientation of the brick as well as recessing of the same.

3) Likely total absence of past tuckpointing leading to water penetration.

FYI: Brick is to be considered permanent with the mortor being rather a soft temperary.

ALSO -

More stone/brick walls have been dispatched by careless tuckpointing than I care to remember.

Most tuckpointing/mortor replacement now-a-days is attackedby with the use of power grinders which

after numerous jobs destroy the brick. Historic properties should always be finessed with

hammer and chisel. - BIG MONEY!

Regards,
J T

I used a heavy duty freezer bag, one corner cut to allow the concrete to be squeezed out cake decorator style. I got a nice even bead. Popsicle stick follow up to get that nice professional look. :)

March 17 addition.

Then. March 12, 1950. Looking W across Yonge street at the SW corner of Yonge and Edward.

s0574_fl0013_id49325.jpg

Now. February 2011.

DSC_0190.jpg

Back