News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 851     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

b) even if they did want to they couldn't fit because of pickaxe width shoulders due to too much pablum

That's my theory anyways, Miss Anna.

I'm just polishing off a box right now. :)

Has anyone here been to a a Korean restaurant? Sometimes they serve the scrapings from the rice pot boiled with a little water. It's a dish that comes at the end of a meal. It's like pablum.

Rice pot scrapings - a dish served up to billions of Asian babies dating back eons as their first semi-solid food.

"Yes, there was a 3-seater on one side of the aisle and a 2-seater on the other and they alternated from side to side. The 3-seater was replaced by a 2-seater because
a) nobody wanted to sit in the middle
b) even if they did want to they couldn't fit because of pickaxe width shoulders due to too much pablum
c) they wanted more standing room

QUOTE Anna.

Yes, "b".

(It"s all John Ross Robertson's fault.)

Regards,
J T

Darn you, I had to look that one up.

http://bkmarcus.com/2007/08/29/pablum/

I remember the 3-seaters and when they got rid of them. Lol. I was fortunate enough to be able to ride in and remember riding in the red rocket subway trains. They were gorgeous. x

On hot days the windows were down and the doors BETWEEN the cars were left open. It really was a mechanically visceral subway experience. Todays kiddies have no idea of the noise. The "squeal" on the curve into Union Station was something else when everything was opened up.

On hot days the windows were down and the doors BETWEEN the cars were left open. It really was a mechanically visceral subway experience. Todays kiddies have no idea of the noise. The "squeal" on the curve into Union Station was something else when everything was opened up.

The squeeking, squealing and the crunching noises — the heft of the trains, all were part of the experience. I remember opening the windows and my mum telling me to sit down and not stick my hands out the window! Lol. The green interior was cool (although I do appreciate it more now than I did then).

The squeeking, squealing and the crunching noises — the heft of the trains, all were part of the experience. I remember opening the windows and my mum telling me to sit down and not stick my hands out the window! Lol. The green interior was cool (although I do appreciate it more now than I did then).

They should have kept one of the old cars for Fan Rides.

Ebay? Aren't repros available? I don't suppose you want an original?

Of course I want an original. I have a current one along with the one before Sheppard opened.

Streetcar interiors:

Streetcar No. 202 March 22, 1918

f1231_it0218.jpg

Streetcar 4766, 1966

s0648_fl0197_id0001.jpg

s0071_it4697.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to JTCunningham for the answer.

DSC_0259.jpg

Wow... Brutal.

If you were to strip off the cladding on one of those buildings which were mentioned earlier would the cladding of the old building be under it or was it stripped off for the new clad?

DSC_0271-1.jpg

^^This

Last edited:
Wow... Brutal.

If you were to strip off the cladding on one of those buildings which were mentioned earlier would the cladding of the old building be under it or was it stripped off for the new clad?

DSC_0271-1.jpg

^^This

heya HHC, the old building would be under it.

Oh, so that's why passengers were called straphangers. :)

Love the old adverts: Coca Cola. Arrow Collars. Lux soap. Black Velvet.

And the pull-down metal 'straps' (passenger hand grips?) - much better than the fixed bars - especially on the curves.

s0381_fl0260_id11080-8.jpg

Memories.
(1) Travelling downtown in the second section of a Yonge Street Car in winter. The conductor (=ticket taker) had the extra job of putting more coal in the coal stove.
(2) Travelling up Yonge Street on the subway in the evening rush hour on a hot summer's day, before they air-conditioned the coaches.

Always thought the seats were harder on the subway than in the street cars.

From that last picture, Leyand & Birmingham are still in business, as is Dunlop.

As an aside about the original subway cars, my grandfather worked for BEPCO (British Electrical Products Company), later taken over by Crompton Parkinson, which provided the original motors and electrical work for the cars. This always gave me a sense of pride when i rode on the old cars as a kid.

Back