284     1 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 487     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 321     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

s1465_fl0020_id0008.jpg

s1465_fl0020_id0007.jpg

anyone know what that big whiter bunker thing is on the NE corner Bay and Elm St? some kind of garage connected to the auto dealers on Bay? you can also see it here in this aerial...

9f09e22f.gif

Terry McGee + wife.

Regards,
J T

Yeah, City Nights posters--a true visual icon of "People City"-going-on-Yacht-Rock-era Toronto (and probably hiving off that 70s Znaimerian visual vibe). Basically, rendered obsolete by the advent of Now, et al.

Peeking out in the background of the 1950 photo of Elm Street are the spires of the old Elm Street Methodist Church, designed by Henry Langley:

s0574_fl0014_id49333-1.jpg

As written on the TPL website (http://ve.torontopubliclibrary.ca/toronto_sanctuaries/elm_street.html):

Elm Street Methodist Church was established to accommodate the expanding membership of Richmond Street Methodist Church. In 1852, land was purchased on the north side of Elm Street between Yonge and Terauley (now Bay Street). A rough cast building was constructed on the new site and the church operated at this location until the structure was destroyed by fire in September 1861. The insurance settlement allowed for construction of a new building on Elm Street, but the continued growth of congregation soon necessitated expansion of the church. In spring of 1877, Langley, Langley and Burke were hired to expand the existing building. The enlarged church was described in Robertson’s Landmarks of Toronto as early English Gothic, and constructed of white brick with stone facings.

elm-1.jpg

1868:

elmstreetchurch.jpg

Drawings by Langley for the expansion:

48_elm_methodist.jpg
53_elm_methodist.jpg

At its height of popularity, its parisioners included Timothy Eaton. By 1954, it had lost its spires and was eventually demolished:

elmstreetchurch1954.jpg

I believe it was indeed an auto dealership--Elgin Ford?

That's what/who I thought it was too.
These, as well as some of the 80's era photos Mustapha posted come from a series called Capital works - Yonge Street and Elm Street [between 1977 and 1998] but I'm not sure of the dates on the individual photos.
Now you see it
s1465_fl0020_id0010.jpg

Now you don't
s1465_fl0020_id0021.jpg

Boy, it had a deadening effect on the streetscape--not that Elm was *prized* at the time, of course. (Though it was a very high-style-50s/60s-modern-a-la-Parkin kind of deadening; if it were in a suburban parking lot, it'd be cherishable.)

Also interesting to see in the latter photo that Vinyl Museum already existed next to A&As.

s1465_fl0020_id0010.jpg

i really love the way the low white and grey brick rectangle sets off the pure form of the Ryerson Library.

in any case, its too bad it wasn't torn down later--then we might have been spared the late 80's ersatz pomo clunker that presently squats on the site.

fdc78b0c.png

Quite oddly, one of my favourite shows when I was a kid was something called Night Moves/Walk/Ride, which was shown in the wee hours of the morning on Global. As a St.Catharines boy, it really kicked off my fascination with the 'Big City' which culminated in my moving there in the mid-90's.

Anyway, consider it an in-motion then, from 1986, showing some of the places discussed over the past couple days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrWdMcxxZts

Quite oddly, one of my favourite shows when I was a kid was something called Night Moves/Walk/Ride

Wow, thanks! Taking 'reality TV' right back to its core. Funny to consider what the 'Night Walks' cameraman must have looked like, wandering the subway with enough equipment and batteries back in the mid 1980's to get TV quality video. Does anyone have links to more details about the show?

In a comment left on a Spacing Toronto post about these programs, director Bill Elliott recalled the production process:

Every scene we shot just developed as we approached it. The locations were pre-scouted, as we needed as much available light as we could find. The camera was an older Sony with a Saticon tube rather than the chip cameras of today. The saticon tube always left a kind of comet trail behind the light source as the camera moved past it.

http://torontoist.com/2009/02/historicist_workin_on_our_night_mov.php

i really love the way the low white and grey brick rectangle sets off the pure form of the Ryerson Library.

True, though in all likelihood inadvertent.

in any case, its too bad it wasn't torn down later--then we might have been spared the late 80's ersatz pomo clunker that presently squats on the site.
fdc78b0c.png

Actually, for what it is, I don't mind said office/condo mixed-use clunker (one of Minto's first projects in Toronto?)--though maybe it'd get more present-day respect if it were built a decade earlier and in dark red brick a la the Bay/Charles Towers. (Sooner or later, two-toned red granite with green trim will get its defenders again.)

Back