News   Aug 16, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 661     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 536     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

^ Thanks for those pix thecharioteer. Absolutely beautiful and of course, heartbreaking that the street could be ruined. This has to rank in the top ten worst acts the city has committed. I'd like to see that middle lane lined with giant trees someday.

Jarvis, looking south from Bloor:

1960:

jarvisbllor.jpg

Today (thanks Drum118):

IMG_oct-03-09-0086.jpg

how jarvis has fallen from grace. it needs those two bike lanes desperately. a few hundred trees and benches wouldn't hurt either.

Yes Jarvis certainly has seen better days.

how jarvis has fallen from grace. it needs those two bike lanes desperately. a few hundred trees and benches wouldn't hurt either.

Take heart. A walk down Jarvis refreshes one's appreciation for what is left. I drive it occasionally like many do but a walk reinforces that many of the old houses remain; no matter what has happened to the overall street scape. The old Massey mansion is now a restaurant, of course. Just south of here is another old mansion with a new life as a Macs Milk store.

fo1244_f1244_it3070.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

I agree, however the gas station and front yard parking doesn't help. If the City was serious about improving Jarvis, they would look into buying (or expropriating) the gas station for a parkette (perhaps in honour of the Massey family?). When one considers the role the Masseys played in this City and country (and their generosity), the condition of the property is shameful.

f1244_it0281.jpg

Correct, the name change happened around 1960 or so, but I can't find a source to confirm this.

That's really cool. Hypnotic even.

While the discussions around Sherbourne/Parliament/Castle Frank become even more feverish, I will just drop another daily picture, if you all don't mind. :)

October 16 addition.

Then: Queen Street West. #s 502 - 508. April 1958.

Thanks Mustapha! Just yesterday, I was perusing Google Street View at that very spot, and thought, "I hope Mustapha does a few of my old 'hood" and here we have it. You have some special powers. What am I thinking right now?

(Ahem, tried to take out the photos to spare the page some heaviness and wound up screwing everything up where each new letter deletes another in the word "QUOTE" which has now become "QUTE". Smooth, Aaron, very smooth)

You might have accidentally hit insert on your keyboard, which would result in each new letter pressed replacing the letter to the right of the curser. Usually it's the simplest of solution to a seemingly complex problem.

Great photos, guys!

Here's a picture I found in the City Archives of Front Street just east of Scott (it's labeled 27-29 Wellington, but the building goes through-block, and it's clear that the mansarded building to the left is the British American Assurance Building, with a glimpse of the Board of Trade Building further left).

Sigh......

The block shown in the 1910 Goad (Front Street address would be 36-38 Front):

Toronto_1910_Atlas_Volume_1_Plat-10.jpg

Then:

No27-29WellingtonStreeteastofScottS.jpg

Now:

FrontScott.jpg

Back