509     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 662     0 

Miller Tax on Plate Renewal?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I've just renewed the plates on my two cars and motorcycle for 2008, and noticed that there's no charge from the city? Not that I want more taxes, but when does the Miller Tax on vehicle plate renewals start?

If I recall correctly, it was a tax on sticker renewal. About $60 more per vehicle per year. I think that collection begins this fall in October or so because they have to negotiate with the province to collect the fee for the city and give it back via transfers.

Yes - I just got my renewal, and there's the 2-year option. Guess I should take advantage of that before it kicks in. The cities website indicates that it should take effect in the summer sometime - but no firm date yet.

I got my license plate renewal form in the mail this week, and noticed that the $74 fee still exists. You bet I took advantage of the current price - I purchased a 2 year renewal, which unfortunately is the maximum allowed.

I am dead set against selective taxation such as this (not just on drivers but on Torontonians as a whole) and am fortunate that I was able to avoid the corresponding 80% increase in the fee.

There should be an exemption for scooters and motorcycles, IMO. This is especially true for the new four-stroke scooters, which use very little fuel. I'd bet that 30 Vespas riding from downtown up Yonge to Sheppard would burn less fuel and give off less of the worst particulate emissions than one diesel-powered Orion TTC bus carrying 30 passengers along the same route. That bus has to slow down, stop and accelerate after each stop, while those 30 Vespas just scoot along.

Now, the new Hybrid-Orion buses would likely turn this around, but as long as the TTC's bus fleet is dominated by conventional diesels, I'd bet that a scooter is more fuel efficient per passenger, unless the bus is packed.

I think it is time to charge an annual fee (maybe $300 - $500) for putting a car on the road in Toronto, plus "toll" charges collected on cars entering the city (i.e. that have not paid the annual fee) -- all money collected would go to building/running public transit.

BTW, I don't have a car -- maybe that is the reason why I am so quick to tax it - just like everyone else - taxes that don't affect me are great! :eek:

Uh - isn't that what Toronto has just done? Though at $60 a year.

That is all? The average person is likely spending around $4,000 per year on the vehicle - a tax of around 10% - 15% of the average cost of the vehicle for the right to put that car on Toronto streets is reasonable.

I think it is time to charge an annual fee (maybe $300 - $500) for putting a car on the road in Toronto, plus "toll" charges collected on cars entering the city (i.e. that have not paid the annual fee) -- all money collected would go to building/running public transit.

At least that money much money is already going to the various levels of government due to the taxes paid on gas alone, so it's not as though the money isn't being collected. Perhaps a better solution is to give more gas tax back to the cities.

Hows this, the gas tax is collected and is the "green tax" (i.e. tax on carbon emissions using gasoline - this would go to public transit), we then change all roads to toll roads and you pay for usage (Singapore is moving this way little by little). In Singapore's case their is rumours that they might include variable tolls depending on traffic on a given route (based on supply/demand). I think we have just about covered everything :rolleyes:

I bet the Province is laughing all the way to the bank with getting all the 2 year renewals and thus a year's extra bank interest - we did it and so did my mother in law.

Back