News   Apr 26, 2024
 660     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 232     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 715     0 

Mid Humber Gap Trail Study (City of Toronto)

Has there been a time since 1954 when the river actually rose to that degree in that section?

- Paul
There have been floods since 1954 that have surpassed that level of flooding in other rivers of the City.

But the Weston? I don't believe so.

Dan

Has there been a time since 1954 when the river actually rose to that degree in that section?

- Paul
There have been floods since 1954 that have surpassed that level of flooding in other rivers of the City.

Dan

The August 2005 flood crested in this area.

I remember walking down there not long after, and you could see where silt had sheeted across the land above the bank indicating flowing water, and all the smaller plants, including some trees were bent over.

Have a walk down memory lane:

Black Creek is a tributary of the Humber (though the former enters the Humber south of Weston); but a reminder what happened upstream on that creek:

1709676440993.png

Credit as per watermark

That is what Finch Avenue looked like after Black Creek blew it out.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that a couple of holes on that golf course are of no greater elevation than the proposed trail, meaning that any flood that endangers the trail also endangers the Club's members.

I'm sure the Club would help its members flee to higher ground in a water emergency.

After they had sunk their putts, of course.

- Paul

1709680051352.png

- Paul

Dan

It's important to note that Hurricane Hazel set the bar in many southern Ontario watersheds; the amount of rain dropped over that 48 hours is what conservation authorities use to mark the extent of their regulatory floodplains. You can check out this map to get an idea.

A lot of stormwater infrastructure gets designed to handle 100-year storms. Hazel was something like a 350-500 year storm.

Back