News   May 17, 2024
 2.5K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

no the money won't show up. The province isn't raising $35 billion without a plan on what to spend it on. It already has a plan for what almost every penny will go towards.

There seems to be a lot of obstacles with extending Sheppard Subway eastwards, and I don't see what we are benefiting from by doing so.

By extending the line to Victoria Park, Scarborough residents lose the transfer at Don Mills to the future DRL. They will have to get on a bus to transfer onto the SELRT, transfer at VP to Sheppard, then transfer again at Don Mills to the DRL, only to possibly transfer YET AGAIN at Pape or Union/King depending on DRL route. 3-4 transfers makes transit usage undesirable and frankly, idiotic.

Exactly. This is such a pointless extension of a subway line that probably won't get enough ridership for another 50 years.

11288200855_d7b983757c_z.jpg

There seems to be a lot of obstacles with extending Sheppard Subway eastwards, and I don't see what we are benefiting from by doing so.

By extending the line to Victoria Park, Scarborough residents lose the transfer at Don Mills to the future DRL. They will have to get on a bus to transfer onto the SELRT, transfer at VP to Sheppard, then transfer again at Don Mills to the DRL, only to possibly transfer YET AGAIN at Pape or Union/King depending on DRL route. 3-4 transfers makes transit usage undesirable and frankly, idiotic.

Extending to Victoria Park likely means no SELRT in the relatively near future. Which means no connection to STC, and therefore the option to take the B-D line is eliminated for most Northern Scarborough residents, AND more people will be funneled onto the Yonge line, hurting the rest of the city.

With the SELRT, development can still happen at Victoria Park and Sheppard, along with other places. With long gaps between stations on Sheppard, LRT will reach high speeds too. It'll be much faster than Eglinton Crosstown.

And lastly, an extended Sheppard East still suffers from the same gripping problems the current line has. It'll still be a subsidized stub that doesn't really go anywhere but Yonge and have relatively low ridership.

If you want Sheppard to be useful, you have to expand it west, not east. Connect it with Downsview station, give residents the option of cutting their commute short by getting on the Spadina line to their destination DT, Yorkdale or to York University. Build the SELRT alongside Sheppard West to funnel Scarborough residents onto the now useful Sheppard line (or alternatively to STC). Give the citizens of northern Toronto a viable means of traveling east-west.

Great points. The Sheppard LRT combined with the McCowan BD-extension aka Scarborough Subway seem like they would work well together. The Sheppard LRT would be a feeder into the new subway.

The great thing about the LRT is how long it is. If you keep extending the subway a couple of stations at a time slowly, it won't reach very far into Scarborough in our lifetimes, and there will always be a bus to subway forced transfer.

An intangible benefit of extending the Sheppard Subway to STC is that the City keeps the promise it made when it was only build to Don Mills in the first place.

If the City promise can be believed, then building the DRL in phases becomes possible because people at Don Mills/Eglinton, Bloor West, Don Mills/Seneca, and Eglinton/Weston will not object and play the "me first" game since they can believe that the subway will eventually be built to them.

An intangible benefit of extending the Sheppard Subway to STC is that the City keeps the promise it made when it was only build to Don Mills in the first place.

If the City promise can be believed, then building the DRL in phases becomes possible because people at Don Mills/Eglinton, Bloor West, Don Mills/Seneca, and Eglinton/Weston will not object and play the "me first" game since they can believe that the subway will eventually be built to them.

Seriously sometimes I think people will grasp at anything to justify this subway which Btw should have been a lrt to begin with. WislaHd made the exact same points alot of us have here and rationally explains why the subway shouldn't be extended. Then the argument sinks down to "but you promised you promised". Parents promise their kids all sorts of things they never intend to do because it doesn't make sense to shut them up. I really hate to compare some posters to children but when the arguments keep getting dumber and dumber its that or bang my head against the wall.

Seriously sometimes I think people will grasp at anything to justify this subway which Btw should have been a lrt to begin with. WislaHd made the exact same points alot of us have here and rationally explains why the subway shouldn't be extended. Then the argument sinks down to "but you promised you promised". Parents promise their kids all sorts of things they never intend to do because it doesn't make sense to shut them up. I really hate to compare some posters to children but when the arguments keep getting dumber and dumber its that or bang my head against the wall.

LOL. They more recently promised to build an LRT on Sheppard, so if they build a subway instead they'll be breaking THAT promise.

I think retrofitting the line to a high floor LRT actually makes the most sense (who said that again? It was brilliant). I also think that the western extension between Yonge and Downsview should be a surface LRT. Frankly, tunneling between the end of the tail tracks at Senlac and Downsview will be a nightmare. There's no place to launch a TBM without expropriating a dozen properties, and the fact that the tunnel has to descend about 30 meters to go under the Don River, which lies in a fairly deep ravine, in a space of 400 meters is quite a challenge.

I think retrofitting the line to a high floor LRT actually makes the most sense (who said that again? It was brilliant). I also think that the western extension between Yonge and Downsview should be a surface LRT. Frankly, tunneling between the end of the tail tracks at Senlac and Downsview will be a nightmare. There's no place to launch a TBM without expropriating a dozen properties, and the fact that the tunnel has to descend about 30 meters to go under the Don River, which lies in a fairly deep ravine, in a space of 400 meters is quite a challenge.

one I think the problem with any lrt is thatched tunnels aren't big enough to fit the catenary. Bombardier makes a catenary free lrt but no one else does so we would essentially be tied to the company forever for the technology. So it isn't just the height of the platforms in the stations which are the problem but the tunnels themselves.

Two, highfloor LRTs will need larger platforms which I don't know if they would fit in the middle of the road like the selrt is now designed to. In Calgary the high floor LRTs run on the right lane of a street downtown versus being in the center. However that road is also closed off to everything but emergency vehicles.

Converting to highfloor isn't necessarily the quick and easy solution it appears to be.

My favorite plan would be a complete conversion to lrt. My second favorite plan is to extend the subway west to Wilson (it has to go there anyways to use their yard) and build the selrt as designed. Number one reason I don't want to move the subway one stop east bound to Victoria Park is that it looks much more likely that th. Drl will hit Sheppard before Sheppard ever has a chance to make it to stc or the zoo. As a result like others have mentioned moving the subway one stop east just moves the annoying transfer point.

If the final Relief Line alignment is chosen before the next municipal election I wouldn't be at all surprised if we start hearing talk of extending it to Sheppard.

I hope it gets put on the table before we build Don Mills-Eglinton station for the ECLRT. I'd be annoyed if we built a station there only for us to have to completely redesign it years later.

Two, highfloor LRTs will need larger platforms which I don't know if they would fit in the middle of the road like the selrt is now designed to. In Calgary the high floor LRTs run on the right lane of a street downtown versus being in the center. However that road is also closed off to everything but emergency vehicles.

False.

The LRT in Calgary operates in the middle of the road...and it operates just like any other low-floor LRT with the only exception being that - It is High Floor.
The platforms in downtown on 7th avenue simply take out the second lane of the 2 lanes so what you essentially have is the LRT in the middle lane and the loading platform on the second lane....Similar to the King St Streetcar plan.

Transit buses also use 7th Avenue, it is not just for Emergency Vehicles only! This is why many buses from all over the city can traverse through downtown with minimal delays! They just go right across the 7th Avenue Transit Mall.

The operation of LRT in Calgary, however, is designed to be more closer to a subway than a streetcar! This is why people in Calgary love LRT while people in Toronto dread the very thought of it!

I currently live in Calgary and I love using the LRT system, everytime! Its fast, smooth, and reliable! - I am a fan of LRT - but I have no faith in how it will be implemented in Toronto

False.

The LRT in Calgary operates in the middle of the road...and it operates just like any other low-floor LRT with the only exception being that - It is High Floor.
The platforms in downtown on 7th avenue simply take out the second lane of the 2 lanes so what you essentially have is the LRT in the middle lane and the loading platform on the second lane....Similar to the King St Streetcar plan.

Transit buses also use 7th Avenue, it is not just for Emergency Vehicles only! This is why many buses from all over the city can traverse through downtown with minimal delays! They just go right across the 7th Avenue Transit Mall.

The operation of LRT in Calgary, however, is designed to be more closer to a subway than a streetcar! This is why people in Calgary love LRT while people in Toronto dread the very thought of it!

I currently live in Calgary and I love using the LRT system, everytime! Its fast, smooth, and reliable! - I am a fan of LRT - but I have no faith in how it will be implemented in Toronto

Havent been in Calgary since university so my memory might fail me but I do remember going from the sidewalk to the platform without going into the middle of the street. Sorry I didnt include busses in my emergency only comment. I was just pointing out that the street the LRT is on is basically shut off to typical car traffic. would you like to shut down Sheppard to just having emergency and transit vehicles on it?

TC LRT lines are not a Subway. But in one way it is more like a subway. TC LRT lines Run on straight north/south routes or East/west routes. Much like how the Bloor subway crosses bloor danforth and the Yonge Subway goes up yonge. Obviously the Spadina line meanders a bit but I think most would agree a line straight up dufferin or bathurst would have been preferable. Instead the Calgary C train LRT line is more like a GO line with more stops. The stops are often surrounded by huge parking lots. The stops often have nothing to walk to at them and often appear in the middle of nowhere. I lived in Calgary for three years and loved the system as well. However if you want that sort of system what you should be encouraging is more GO stops with cheaper pricing in Toronto running all day. TC LRT lines serve a much different purpose. They are designed either to help you stay along one route or to bring you to a transfer(hopefully only one). Lets not kid our selves transfers are in every system. I use to transfer from bus to c train all the time. What we are trying to do is eliminate the amount of transfers.

Last edited:
Havent been in Calgary since university so my memory might fail me but I do remember going from the sidewalk to the platform without going into the middle of the street. Sorry I didnt include busses in my emergency only comment. I was just pointing out that the street the LRT is on is basically shut off to typical car traffic. would you like to shut down Sheppard to just having emergency and transit vehicles on it?

Just because an LRT is high floor, it doesn't mean that the street has to be shut down - that is the main point!

Check out this link https://maps.google.ca/?ll=51.04174...=1n_pFJvNptLp1ww1NVJemA&cbp=12,273.09,,0,4.68

As you can see, the High Floor LRT operates in the Middle of Bow Trail... granted the station is more like a metro but the idea is the same....but its high floor.

Just because an LRT is high floor, it doesn't mean that the street has to be shut down - that is the main point!

Check out this link https://maps.google.ca/?ll=51.04174...=1n_pFJvNptLp1ww1NVJemA&cbp=12,273.09,,0,4.68

As you can see, the High Floor LRT operates in the Middle of Bow Trail... granted the station is more like a metro but the idea is the same....but its high floor.

OK but Sheppard isnt that wide. Thats more like putting stations in the middle of the Allen. How did that turn out? BTW i edited my last post if you didnt see it

Back