News   Jul 16, 2024
 314     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 616     2 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

I don't really mind Oakwood, it will help create density and development over that part of Eglinton. I doubt the travel times gained from cutting that station would be that exceptional as to warrant its removal.

Perhaps Oakwood could've been dug out and left unfinished until the density warranted it or some developer put a proposal incorporating it (lol) but like Palma said, it is what it is.

The neighbourhood wants the Oakwoodc stop and Josh Colle responded.

The obsession over stop spacing is silly. A stop over Oakwood would add, maybe 20-30 secs to the overall travel time.

I don't really mind Oakwood, it will help create density and development over that part of Eglinton. I doubt the travel times gained from cutting that station would be that exceptional as to warrant its removal.

Perhaps Oakwood could've been dug out and left unfinished until the density warranted it or some developer put a proposal incorporating it (lol) but like Palma said, it is what it is.

A 16-story tower and 7 townhouse condo is going up at Eglinton & Oakwood already. See link. So it has already started.

The-Hub-Condo-Rendering.jpg

Attachments

• The-Hub-Condo-Rendering.jpg
    The-Hub-Condo-Rendering.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 1,020
Last edited by a moderator:
The neighbourhood wants the Oakwoodc stop and Josh Colle responded.

The obsession over stop spacing is silly. A stop over Oakwood would add, maybe 20-30 secs to the overall travel time.

WEll if you ask any neighbourhood whether they would want a stop of course the answer will be yes and the councillor will go along with that. Is that how we build transit in this city - ask every neighbourhood what they want regardless of cost and practicality. But wait - we don't build transit in the city. I wonder why.

WEll if you ask any neighbourhood whether they would want a stop of course the answer will be yes and the councillor will go along with that.

The neighborhood requests should not always be heeded; however, the Oakwood stop is justified IMO. The gap between Dufferin and Allen would be too wide without that stop. There is a community at Oakwood, and medium-high density that needs service.

"...if York University can get a subway, he suggested, then surely Scarborough (UT Campus) can get an LRT..." G&M reporter paraphrasing Bruce Kidd, interim vice president and principal of UT Scarborough.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rsed-itself-in-the-community/article21597596/

Good point. However, which route should that LRT take?

Should it run on Morningside, Kingston, Eglinton to Kennedy subway station? Or, should it take a more direct route to subway; along Ellesmere to the future STC subway station, and then to Don Mills Stn?

Is there a ridership potential for both lines?

Good point. However, which route should that LRT take?

Should it run on Morningside, Kingston, Eglinton to Kennedy subway station? Or, should it take a more direct route to subway; along Ellesmere to the future STC subway station, and then to Don Mills Stn?

Is there a ridership potential for both lines?

As much as Ellesmere would be more direct and would give the possibility to reach Centennial College as well, I think there is more of a present need for better transit along the Eglinton/Kingston/Morningside route as well as development potential. I think it would be more accessible for all residents of Scarborough. If this were to happen, I think it would be perhaps appropriate to designate the area surrounding Kennedy and Eglinton as a 'Place to Grow" with there being connections to the Subway, GO, Eglinton LRT and Malvern LRT.

Regarding the UTSC woes, I know transit city had the idea of running an Ellesmere BRT but quite honestly I think the best solution is right under their noses. I would just run a TTC route to just CC and UTSC following the GO Bus route.

STC--(along Progress)-->CC--(Take 401)-->UTSC

That takes like 8 minutes in clear traffic

I'm not too sure what the policy is on the ttc using the highway, but I also remember there being talk (at least on the urban toronto) of constructing a busway along the 401 for GO, maybe the TTC could get in on that.

I'm a UTSC student btw.

Presuming the Scarborough subway and Sheppard East LRT are going ahead, I think they should do three branches for the Sheppard LRT: one turning north up Neilson to Malvern town centre (or finch), one turning south on morningside (or Neilson) to UTSC. One continuing on east on Sheppard to meadowvale/the zoo.

The neighborhood requests should not always be heeded; however, the Oakwood stop is justified IMO. The gap between Dufferin and Allen would be too wide without that stop. There is a community at Oakwood, and medium-high density that needs service.

But who will walk from dufferin to the Allen? If you are at oakwood choose either duffeirn or the Allen. Google shows 8 min walk from Oakwood to Dufferin. Really far eh. From oakwood to Eginton west subway 15 min. So really the chose is clear, walk to Dufferin. Not only that but there is still the Oakwood bus for those living off Oakwood who will take that to get to subway so really the Oakwood stop was not needed.

But I have no problem with it being there now but lets be real about having to ask people to actually walk.

Presuming the Scarborough subway and Sheppard East LRT are going ahead, I think they should do three branches for the Sheppard LRT: one turning north up Neilson to Malvern town centre (or finch), one turning south on morningside (or Neilson) to UTSC. One continuing on east on Sheppard to meadowvale/the zoo.

Each "branch" would increase the headway by two. The "main" route may have 10 minutes, but each "branch" would be 20 minutes. Add another "branch", each "branch" may get double again. Might be better to transfer to another route having the same headway.

Each "branch" would increase the headway by two. The "main" route may have 10 minutes, but each "branch" would be 20 minutes. Add another "branch", each "branch" may get double again. Might be better to transfer to another route having the same headway.

You could see how this might work out if branch 1 turned north off Sheppard (where the SELRT was going to bisect with the Scarborough LRT) and continue to the Malvern Town Centre; and, branch 2 continues east just passed Morningside and turns south to the UT Scarborough campus. Where the two lines converge further west, toward the city, you would expect ridership to become denser.

Isn't Scarborough UoT serviced by the once-upon-a-time Malvern LRT?

With the RT converting to a subway, the Crosstown could go through Kennedy, and continue along the Malvern route all the way up to Sheppard...or you do a Sheppard leg down to UoT and have the Malvern LRT interloop with it there in a hub station.

I happen to live at Don Mills & Sheppard. I don't get why they aren't extending the subway to at least Victoria Park since they have to dig below the 404. The ridership is certainly there for that short extension. As for the rest of the avenue, the projections are heavily in favour of the LRT.

I do question the impact of the new Scarborough extension from the Danforth line on the LRT projections as that factor was never taken under consideration in previous studies. Logically, most passengers east of McCowan Road wouldn't travel west to reach Don Mills Station to gain access to the Yonge Line due to the new route.

Would the LRT still be necessary? A bus ride from Morningside to McCowan road would be around 15 minutes away from a subway station. It would be significantly cheaper to run the 85 bus than building and LRT.

With the reduced ridership from east, a BRT operating in reserved lanes would be more then adequate from McCowan to Victoria Park

Back