News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Saw the map and timetable and have just one question.......................how in hell could it possibly take 5 years to replace a tiny 6 km STC to LRT and a dmall extension?

The construction on the extension gets started while the line is still operating. It gets finished before the conversion of the rest of the line is done. Because it is staged, the construction of the entire line takes 5 years, while construction on specific parts may only take 3 or 4 years.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2012/04/25/torontos-transit-city-back-in-play/

Enlarge: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Toronto-2012-Update.jpg

Toronto-2012-Update.jpg

They're missing the Mississauga BRT completely. It's under construction, but it's not shown as under construction OR proposed.

How ridiculously Toronto-centric.

I'm sorry my eyes glazed over at the number of stops on most of those PDFs.
Those LRT lines look more like bus-stop spacing don't they?

As far as 3 or 4 years then that just 2 or 3 years too long.
Calgary is building it's new 8km LRT line {the stations weren't already built, and most of the line is either underground/trenched or elevated but's it only taking 3 years from start to finish. Vancouver's new 11km SkYtrain Evergreen will take about 26 months and it is totally grade separated and includes a one km tunnel under a busy roadway.

Those LRT lines look more like bus-stop spacing don't they?

As far as 3 or 4 years then that just 2 or 3 years too long.
Calgary is building it's new 8km LRT line {the stations weren't already built, and most of the line is either underground/trenched or elevated but's it only taking 3 years from start to finish. Vancouver's new 11km SkYtrain Evergreen will take about 26 months and it is totally grade separated and includes a one km tunnel under a busy roadway.

The distance between King Station and Queen Station on the Yonge Subway is about 400m ± apart.

Vancouver's new 11km SkYtrain Evergreen will take about 26 months and it is totally grade separated and includes a one km tunnel under a busy roadway.
It's just a 5-station spur off an existing line though, so no new technology, they are only ordering 28 new cars to the over 250 they already have. The cars themselves are quite small, only about 17 metres long, compared to 30 metres for the the new LRT cars for Toronto. No new yard as far as I know, just a small expansion to the existing yard.

^It's a spur, but it's still - as ssiguy mentioned - an 11 km spur with a major tunnel component. Besides, what does the quantity and size of the vehicles ordered have to do with the construction time of the line itself?

The distance between King Station and Queen Station on the Yonge Subway is about 400m ± apart.

The difference, of course, is that the density of employment, surface transit connections and retail foot traffic between Queen and King station is immense, while the same cannot be said of the 400 meters between Washburn Way and Burrows Hall.

Last edited:
^It's a spur, but it's still - as ssiguy mentioned - an 11 km spur with a major tunnel component. Besides, what does the quantity and size of the vehicles ordered have to do with the construction time of the line itself?

Vehicle size makes a huge impact to station size. Length is obvious (longer platform, longer station box, longer cross-over switch area, much larger excavation) but width matters too because capacity of the train impacts design for emergency evacuation.

Dealing with 1000 people is quite a bit harder than dealing with 150 people. This is the main reason Eglinton stations are going to be so large (emergency dump of 2 trains; one on each side of the platform).

It's just a 5-station spur off an existing line though, so no new technology, they are only ordering 28 new cars to the over 250 they already have. The cars themselves are quite small, only about 17 metres long, compared to 30 metres for the the new LRT cars for Toronto. No new yard as far as I know, just a small expansion to the existing yard.

There IS a new yard. Its only for storage and light maintenance though. Heavy maintenance and control will remain at the existing yard.

The vehicle is smaller, but the station platforms will be 80m long to fit 5-cars train. Pretty much comparable to the TC LRT.

And as for future expansion, 5-cars train running at max frequency would give capacity of 25000-30000 pphpd, with 650 people per train. So the station would also have to deal with thousands of people at emergency.

Last edited:
The vehicle is smaller, but the station platforms will be 80m long to fit 5-cars train. Pretty much comparable to the TC LRT.

And as for future expansion, 5-cars train running at max frequency would give capacity of 25000-30000 pphpd, with 650 people per train. So the station would also have to deal with thousands of people at emergency.

Indeed. For some reason I though future expansion was space being set aside and not built out or roughed-in immediately.

Indeed. For some reason I though future expansion was space being set aside and not built out or roughed-in immediately.

That would be Canada Line. 40m expandable to 50m with about 1/3 of the stations already built to 50m.

Expo and Millennium (and also Evergreen since it would be a part of the same system) is designed with 80m platform expandable to 100m, with one station already at 100m.

Last edited:
Since the LRT's lines were on TTC agenda on Tuesday, I decided to asked some questions like I did at the Metrolinx meeting and got a few different responses for the good.

Since the Agincourt underpass was design for LRT from day one and there been no change orders to remove it, I asked if the plan station is going in now, since the plan for the LRT is approved?

Given the fact that the underpass will be completed later this year along with the approval to build the LRT, the plan is to build the station and the tracks now, subject to final approval from Metrolinx. Not that hard to issue a change order to Dufferin Construction to build the station and have TTC crew install the tracks.

I was told by the party that they agree with me, that per-qualification of contractors should take place ASP for the whole line, with tendering going out in the late fall and construction getting underway in 2013, not the 2014.

By doing so, the line could open sooner and not to worry about the 2014 election.

Communication is the big issues to the point large signs should be posted along the whole route about the line, as well telling and showing everyone the difference between LRT and streetcars/Trams.

Getting a new consulting firm and getting them up to speed is not that hard considering a fair number are biting the bit to do it now.

Since the LRT's lines were on TTC agenda on Tuesday, I decided to asked some questions like I did at the Metrolinx meeting and got a few different responses for the good.

Since the Agincourt underpass was design for LRT from day one and there been no change orders to remove it, I asked if the plan station is going in now, since the plan for the LRT is approved?

Given the fact that the underpass will be completed later this year along with the approval to build the LRT, the plan is to build the station and the tracks now, subject to final approval from Metrolinx. Not that hard to issue a change order to Dufferin Construction to build the station and have TTC crew install the tracks.

I was told by the party that they agree with me, that per-qualification of contractors should take place ASP for the whole line, with tendering going out in the late fall and construction getting underway in 2013, not the 2014.

By doing so, the line could open sooner and not to worry about the 2014 election.

Communication is the big issues to the point large signs should be posted along the whole route about the line, as well telling and showing everyone the difference between LRT and streetcars/Trams.

Getting a new consulting firm and getting them up to speed is not that hard considering a fair number are biting the bit to do it now.

It would be interesting to see if they can get the ROW put in around Agincourt asap, that way people can go up there and take a look at what the rest of it will look like.

Back