News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 957     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

This previously funded LRT project was cancelled by Ford & Co., but at least some of its legacy is still going on. The Agincourt GO Station along Sheppard is still getting its funding to grade seperate the GO line from Sheppard Ave.

Hopefully, with this work continuing the city of Toronto and Province restarts the Sheppard East LRT

The Agincourt GO/Sheppard Avenue East Grade Separation has no connection to SELRT. It was in the City of Toronto's planbook for years (well before Transit City was a thought). The project was sitting around all this time waiting for City Council to fund it (like the Morningside/Finch/CP grade separation).

Furthermore, the grade separation will not dictate whether the SELRT starts up again.

Last edited:
Not really true. It was bundled into the Sheppard LRT project (and funding), and probably only went ahead at this time because of it.

I was on the GO webpage when I was looking for status updated on this project- GO website information for this project was on the Sheppard East LRT website- which apparently doesn't exist anymore!

Not really true. It was bundled into the Sheppard LRT project (and funding), and probably only went ahead at this time because of it.

It may have only gone ahead now due to the Provincial funding, but the City would have eventually built it. Just like it will eventually build the separation at Steeles and the Uxbridge Sub. And how it eventually did build the underpass eliminating the Dufferin Jog.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I know this has been discussed before, but what's going to happen with the Transit City vehicles now that the Sheppard line has been shelved? Aren't the cancellation fees going up exponentially?

The first vehicle is supposed to be delivered exactly a year from now (Dec 2012) with the second to follow the month after. The remaining 180 vehicles are scheduled for delivery at 2/month starting in July (2013).

I hadn't realized they were coming so soon, but I was looking at some of the Sheppard LRT line documentation today and noticed that according the schedule the tracks were supposed to already be laid between Birchmount and Progress and Morningside and the carhouse by the end of this year.

I know this has been discussed before, but what's going to happen with the Transit City vehicles now that the Sheppard line has been shelved? Aren't the cancellation fees going up exponentially?

The first vehicle is supposed to be delivered exactly a year from now (Dec 2012) with the second to follow the month after. The remaining 180 vehicles are scheduled for delivery at 2/month starting in July (2013).

I hadn't realized they were coming so soon, but I was looking at some of the Sheppard LRT line documentation today and noticed that according the schedule the tracks were supposed to already be laid between Birchmount and Progress and Morningside and the carhouse by the end of this year.

To further this question, I have a couple other questions:

1) The Transit City lines were all going to use TTC gauge, as opposed to standard gauge, correct? Or had it been decided that they were going to use standard gauge?

2) If they are TTC gauge, is the length of a single TC LRT vehicle not somewhat similar to the streetcars that are on order?

This may not be possible, but can the TC LRT vehicles be used as regular streetcars until some LRT lines open? I remember reading that there was to be a phased deployment of the new streetcars on the legacy network. Why not mix the two vehicle types for now, and then when some LRT projects open, shift the TC vehicles onto those lines, and order some more of the new streetcars?

It may not be the most elegant solution, but it may be better than swallowing a hefty cancellation fee, or having the LRT vehicles sitting in a yard somewhere collecting dust until a line that can use them opens.

To further this question, I have a couple other questions:

1) The Transit City lines were all going to use TTC gauge, as opposed to standard gauge, correct? Or had it been decided that they were going to use standard gauge?

2) If they are TTC gauge, is the length of a single TC LRT vehicle not somewhat similar to the streetcars that are on order?

This may not be possible, but can the TC LRT vehicles be used as regular streetcars until some LRT lines open? I remember reading that there was to be a phased deployment of the new streetcars on the legacy network. Why not mix the two vehicle types for now, and then when some LRT projects open, shift the TC vehicles onto those lines, and order some more of the new streetcars?

It may not be the most elegant solution, but it may be better than swallowing a hefty cancellation fee, or having the LRT vehicles sitting in a yard somewhere collecting dust until a line that can use them opens.

1) Nope, they were to be standard gauge

2) Nope, the curves are too tight

One funny realization is that the Don Mills-Vic Park tunnel would have been finished about a year and a half from now with the Sheppard LRT. Say, what's up with the TBM's ordered for that project?

Just did some Googling. It looks like one pair was to begin on Eglinton (as is happening now) and the other was to do Sheppard first then Eglinton. That answers that.. so I guess they'll just be ready for Eglinton earlier than originally planned.

Too bad we'll probably get less use out of them now. As rbt posted in the Sheppard Subway Expansion thread:

Unless major improvements have been made recently, TBMs require a ton of maintenance and only last about 15 years when stored in ideal conditions and require a fair bit of maintenance to keep running.

It's the major reason why we sold Sheppards at the same time as the province was lobbying for Spadina extension funding.

Dang. Scratch that idea then. It would have made for a good solution.

Would be cool if the systems were compatible, but the Transit City vehicles and lines are/were to be fully built to standards that most new LRT systems worldwide are built too, instead of the old North American streetcar standards, which I think is a good thing in the end.

Transit City LRT standards: Bi-directional, standard guage track, double-point switches, larger turn radius, smaller hill gradients, 750 V DC, pantograph power collection.

Legacy Streetcar standards: Uni-directional, TTC guage track, single-point switches, smaller turn radius, larger hill gradients, 600 V DC, trolley pole power collection (although that will change).

Last edited:
The Agincourt GO/Sheppard Avenue East Grade Separation has no connection to SELRT.

83dadb14.jpg

Back