News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.2K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I ran out of funds on my Presto card last Thursday, so I filled it up online and configured autorenew. Friday? Insufficient funds. Monday? Insufficient funds.

I called customer service and it turns out that, once you run out of funds, you can no longer refill a card online. They expect me to schlep to Union to get it re-enabled. Aargh!

(I use it on YRT, Viva, and TTC. Union is pretty out of the way.)

Why reinvent the wheel, right?
Agreed. Some kind of turnkey deal with Metrolinx to get the entire thing running, might not be a bad idea ... on the "if you so sure it will only cost us $X, then here's the $X and you do it". On the other hand, if Metrolinx is doing it all, then you might not get enough buy-in from TTC for the whole project to work.

I called customer service and it turns out that, once you run out of funds, you can no longer refill a card online. They expect me to schlep to Union to get it re-enabled. Aargh!
The policy is really dumb ... but we have discussed it endlessly here - nothing new.

There are other locations where you can reactivate. I thought any staffed GO Train station. Or York Region Transit Office, 50 High Tech Road, 5th Floor - among others. They should tell you this if you ask where you can do this.

Agreed. Some kind of turnkey deal with Metrolinx to get the entire thing running, might not be a bad idea ... on the "if you so sure it will only cost us $X, then here's the $X and you do it". On the other hand, if Metrolinx is doing it all, then you might not get enough buy-in from TTC for the whole project to work.

If it's the TTC's money, shouldn't that be all the incentive they need?

For the record, you can reload your Presto card online with your chequing account. Though the best way to do it is auto-load on a credit card, by far.
This assumes that you have enough money in a chequing account, or that you have a working credit card. I am looking for work and have little money at the moment (this will change).

But it's not just me. Up here, there are plenty of people who don't have working credit cards and run on a cash basis, or don't have computers at home, or don't know how to use them. YRT needs a full-service customer-service booth at the Newmarket bus station off Davis Drive, at the very least. It's one end of a Viva route, and can be considered a major station along the same line as Finch or Union. Going to their office on High Tech Drive is not an adequate substitute, because that office is not convenient to the main YRT/Viva routes. If they're trying to expand transit in northern York Region, they have to make it more convenient.

I simply object to always having $20 minimum deposited at PRESTO. Why should they be earning interest on my money? I suspect this arrangement is part of the revenue scheme for the system. Hundreds of thousands of auto-loaded cards, perpetually with at least $20 on them stored in a PRESTO bank account.

No thanks.

This assumes that you have enough money in a chequing account, or that you have a working credit card. I am looking for work and have little money at the moment (this will change).

But it's not just me. Up here, there are plenty of people who don't have working credit cards and run on a cash basis, or don't have computers at home, or don't know how to use them. YRT needs a full-service customer-service booth at the Newmarket bus station off Davis Drive, at the very least. It's one end of a Viva route, and can be considered a major station along the same line as Finch or Union. Going to their office on High Tech Drive is not an adequate substitute, because that office is not convenient to the main YRT/Viva routes. If they're trying to expand transit in northern York Region, they have to make it more convenient.

While I agree with everything you said, it is worth noting that the YRT offices convenient to YRT and Viva routes. It is only about 200m away from the High Tech Rd. 99 bus stop, and about 360m away from Richmond Hill Centre.

I simply object to always having $20 minimum deposited at PRESTO. Why should they be earning interest on my money? I suspect this arrangement is part of the revenue scheme for the system. Hundreds of thousands of auto-loaded cards, perpetually with at least $20 on them stored in a PRESTO bank account.

No thanks.

Then surely you must object to the TTC taking $121 on the first of the month for travel that will be spread out over the four weeks that follow ;)

Then surely you must object to the TTC taking $121 on the first of the month for travel that will be spread out over the four weeks that follow ;)

Given that I make at least 20 TTC trips a week, and often as many as 30, I'm sure they dislike me.

But of course if you only go to/from work, you would be in the same boat. With tokens, you don't always have 8 in your pocket.

No thanks.

$25 is the amount needed currently to buy 10 tokens. Or 5 tokens for $12.50. I always get either 10 tokens or a day pass depending on the situation I might be facing. If I will be facing 4 or more fare deposits, then I get a day pass, else its tokens. I would prefer Presto to take care of the "either or" situations so I don't have to think ahead of my day's situation needs.

Last edited:
I came down from Sutton on the GO bus today, paying cash. I had business in Keswick, but once that was done, I decided to test the system by going to refill my negative-balance Presto card in person, so that I could subsequently refill it online. I paid cash on the GO bus to go from Keswick to Newmarket, then used my debit card to get a 2-zone Viva/YRT ticket to Richmond Hill.
While I agree with everything you said, it is worth noting that the YRT offices convenient to YRT and Viva routes. It is only about 200m away from the High Tech Rd. 99 bus stop, and about 360m away from Richmond Hill Centre.
I went there today. You walk out of the Richmond Hill Centre (RHC) station, past the side of the cinema building along a road that does not have a continuous sidewalk and would be quite dangerous in winter, under the bridge that carries High Tech Road over the tracks, and across the parking lot. I decided that the building with the greenish glass was my destination, because it has the York Region logo on the outside. However, when you arrive in its parking lot from RHC, you face the back of the building. There is only a small sign on the south door directing you to to the left, to the "front" door.

I went around and entered the lobby. There was a convenience store (closed), and various offices, mostly having to do with the courts. There was also a display of YRT/Viva brochures, which was the only clue that I might have been in the right place. There was no YRT, Viva, or Presto signage anywhere directing me to the building or on the outside of the building. I went over to look at the directory by the elevators. York Region Transit: fifth floor. I went up.

The YRT office was closed. Business hours until 4:30 PM. I was unable to refill my Presto card, and would have to go to Union.

A man exited the office, and I chatted with him. He did admit that "we were hearing that we need more places to handle the Presto card", and suggested that maybe the lockout was a way of encouraging people not to drive their cards into negative balance. I suggested, wouldn't it make more sense to make it easier for us to give Presto the money they want? Why close their main office just as the evening transit rush hour is getting under way?

So I got back on the Viva bus and went to Finch. I was hoping, but not expecting, that the ticket place at the Finch interregional bus station could handle Presto, but they couldn't. It was time to hop on the subway to Union.

At Finch subway, there was a pleasant surprise. A shiny new Toronto Rocket train waited for me! The doors opened, and I got on. Then about a minute later, it went out of service, and I had to get off. *sigh* (Still, I got to *sit* in one in revenue service...)

I did a couple of more things downtown, and went to Union. They loaded up my Presto card with 40 dollars and I was out of there in five minutes... running for the next bus back to Newmarket (connecting to Sutton), which was about to leave.

As I was getting off the GO bus in Sutton, I noticed that, as I tapped my card, the bus fare reader displayed the running balance of the card. Presumably that gets updated to the system at the end of the day.

So now my Presto card is back in operation, and when the website updates and the displayed negative balance disappears, presumably I'll be able to load more money on it. But I shouldn't have to go 50 km out of my way to put 31 cents on my card--and that's just the distance from Newmarket to Union!

Last edited:
A while ago there was discussion about setting a default trip from, say, Rouge Hill to Union and getting off at Exhibition. Using the paper tickets this would be legal as they are both in zone 2, but a trip I took a few days ago is proof that PRESTO does NOT NECESSARILY use the same fare zones as paper ticket:

My normal trip is Union Station to Brampton GO with the endpoint occasionally changing to Hurontario/Bovaird. This trip deducts $6.39 for either destination (zone 02 to 33). However, Tuesday I took the train from Union to Bramalea GO then connected to the GO bus to get to Hurontario/Bovaird. This is also a 02 to 33 trip, but while the system charged me the correct Union to Bramalea fare, it did not deduct anything for the bus trip (i.e. it refunded everything it deducted). In essence, I got to ride 02-33 on a 02-32 fare. I have no explanation for why I paid less than I should have, but I think it's safe to say that PRESTO calculates GO fares differently than paper tickets. If you have a default trip set and you plan to get off at a station other than your default I recommend that you override. There's the potential that you'll save money and there's also the chance that trips which were legal are no longer so.

Too rambley; didn't read: Do not assume a default trip to ____ covers you for other stations in that zone.

Back