News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

got my card today!!! can't wait to use it at one of the stations ie. dundas, union etc

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance but how will Presto work on a time transfer based system? For instance, if I stayed within Mississauga and use Mississauga Transit to transfer buses, would I have to tap on every time I got onto a new bus?

I was surprised to see that the Presto Card I got in the mail comes with a 5-year expiry date. Seems unnecessary ... and annoying if I've got to pop out $6 every 5 years ...

I was surprised to see that the Presto Card I got in the mail comes with a 5-year expiry date. Seems unnecessary ... and annoying if I've got to pop out $6 every 5 years ...

$1.20 a year for them to manage a bank account for you. Not that bad. If only the banking system charged as little as $1.20 a year for the number of transactions you are going to undertaken with a Presto.

It's for the same reason that VISA cards expire after a few years. It allows them to replace the card with an updated one using newer technology if appropriate.

I can understand the general sentiment, but as above, it's a $1.20 a year. I don't think I'll be worrying about that.

NOTE to ANYONE currently riding GO; you will be able to get a "free" Presto Card when Presto comes to your station. The deal is that you turn in a 10-ride or monthly pass and you get a Presto card with equivalent value loaded onto it back in return, without having the pay the $6 issuance fee. They do give you your cancelled pass back so that you can use it for tax purposes if appropriate.

Details are here: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/prestofaresMay1.aspx

Last edited:
So I received my Presto card in the mail yesterday. I only intend on using on the TTC between Union & Yonge/Bloor, and I use tokens so I figured it would be a good way to qualify for the transit pass tax rebate.

I went to the website and saw two links - ACTIVATE and REGISTER. I have no clue what the difference is, and the website doesn't make any effort to explain which to choose. I picked REGISTER which didn't do anything, so then I picked ACTIVATE and received a bizarre error message saying "You need to tag on your Presto Card on a device". This message is cryptic for a number of reasons:

1) NOWHERE on the Presto site is the term "tag on". A Google search of the site doesn't turn up one result for the word "tag".
2) How does Presto define a "device". Could I just tap in at a balance checker and activate my card? Or do I have to actually use it at a fare verification terminal?
3) Nowhere in the envelope that came with it was there any clue as to what this meant. You'd think if this required a tap to activate, it would give you a little pamphlet listing your steps to get up and running.

I called Presto this morning and they confirmed that I would, indeed, have to tap it in to activate the card, and that I couldn't simply do it at a balance checker - I'd have to use the card to deduct a fare. I told the agent where I primarily intended to use the card, and he said that they're having some issues with the recently installed TTC readers not being able to activate cards. He said if I go to Union it should be fine, however, since that reader has been up and running for months.

I took a little trip down to Union, however the card wouldn't work - when I tapped I received a message saying that the card was inactive. I asked the TTC collector if she was aware of any issues, and she said there have been problems, so she just waved me through, thankfully.

I just got off the phone with Presto, and was told that there have been issues and they'll escalate this and get back to me. Oddly enough, though, I just received an email which is the same generic "thank you for your message" email you receive when sending in feedback via their website. I think the agent I spoke with simply filled out the same form.

Anyhow, clearly some growing pains. I'm sure they'll work them out soon.

So I received my Presto card in the mail yesterday. I only intend on using on the TTC between Union & Yonge/Bloor, and I use tokens so I figured it would be a good way to qualify for the transit pass tax rebate.

I went to the website and saw two links - ACTIVATE and REGISTER. I have no clue what the difference is, and the website doesn't make any effort to explain which to choose
The information is there. The Register page says:
Register your PRESTO Card

Registering your card has many benefits.

LOST OR STOLEN CARDS: Report a missing card and have it blocked. You will be responsible only for the value spent within 24 hours of reporting the loss. The remaining value can be transferred to a replacement fare card.

AUTOLOAD: Registration allows you to sign up for Autoload. With the Autoload option, money is transferred to your PRESTO card from your bank account or credit card when the card value reaches a pre-determined level.

EMERGENCY TRIP: If you need to get somewhere fast, but don’t have enough on your card to cover the trip, you can make a single trip and incur a negative balance, provided you don’t have a zero balance to begin with. A small fee will apply.

You don't need to register it, but registering allows you to do the above. Also - it's missing from there - but registering allows you to claim the tax credit on your rides. They can't generate a receipt for you if they don't know who you are!

PS, "tag on" is probably a typographical error. I suspect they mean "tap on", which is a common Presto term.

I just got mine and started the activation process.
I noticed at the bottom of the successful activation page, it said "you must tap on to complete the activation process".
I was still confused about what to do, but I knew if I checked into this thread answers would be found!

I got my card yesterday and I was just as confused... and I consider myself pretty competent when it comes to these sorts of things. They could definitely do a better job of explaining what you have to do in the mail package - and more helpful error messages on the website.

I got my card yesterday and I was just as confused... and I consider myself pretty competent when it comes to these sorts of things. They could definitely do a better job of explaining what you have to do in the mail package - and more helpful error messages on the website.

A better job? They don't explain at all! The standard form letter tells you "Why you should register your Presto Card".
I'm pretty sure 99% of people who get their card in the mail will have registered it when they ordered it.
They need the instructions for how to activate your card on that letter.

I suggest everyone that's gotten one of these hopeless letters send a comment to PRESTO or call them at 1-8-PRESTO-123 (1-877-378-6123). Multiple complaints on the same line might make them realise they need to tweak their mailings.

Presto posted a note about TTC usage on their facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/PRESTOcard. This looks related to the issue that chriskayTO wrote about above:

Attention TTC Users who do not travel on GO Transit, Oakville Transit or Burlington Transit:
Temporarily, for the next few weeks, after loading your PRESTO card via the website or Autoload contract, you will need to tap your card on a Balance Checker for your load to be pushed through to your card. Balance Checkers can be found at GO’s Union station and participating Lakeshore West GO stations.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Watch for updates here and on Twitter.

Presto posted a note about TTC usage on their facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/PRESTOcard. This looks related to the issue that chriskayTO wrote about above:
I find it odd that they're now directing people to activate at the balance checker machines - the agent I spoke with specifically told me this would not work. I hope to get a chance to try again today.

Back