News   May 28, 2024
 291     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 597     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 2K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

@DSC et al. I have had the good fortune to work in a number of places. In a couple, we were under siege and a beleaguered mentality begins to set in. I have no doubt that the TTC is in such a state. Strong leadership - I think Andy Byford is about the best there is - can help to restore a sense of normalcy in the ranks. I leave it to the politicians to fund the show adequately. I doubt it's a question of will, but it is a question of risk. If they are going to look at the data, there will be those who see in the results evidence for one less bus route or run or something along those lines. Somehow the results are always used to tear something apart and never to bolster.

Terrible human tendency that.
I agree that there are good people at the TTC and have great sympathy for them. Politicians everywhere and I fear particularly here, love to nit pick and make a huge fuss about any perceived waste, love announcing new things and have no interest in the boring ongoing stuff like SOGR. The fact that the TTC Budget Committee has not met for 10 months is scandalous as they should be fully aware of the situation and fighting and lobbying for what is needed - which is probably more money. I just hope that Tory's stupid fear of higher taxes does not drive people like Byford, Upfold and many others away to places where public transit is seen AND FUNDED as a vital service. My point was that the TTC does not have a good record, or maybe the money, to evaluate the information they have now so having more (such as details of every PRESTO trip) may not help inform their decisions.

I agree that there are good people at the TTC and have great sympathy for them. Politicians everywhere and I fear particularly here, love to nit pick and make a huge fuss about any perceived waste, love announcing new things and have no interest in the boring ongoing stuff like SOGR. The fact that the TTC Budget Committee has not met for 10 months is scandalous as they should be fully aware of the situation and fighting and lobbying for what is needed - which is probably more money. I just hope that Tory's stupid fear of higher taxes does not drive people like Byford, Upfold and many others away to places where public transit is seen AND FUNDED as a vital service. My point was that the TTC does not have a good record, or maybe the money, to evaluate the information they have now so having more (such as details of every PRESTO trip) may not help inform their decisions.

That was my point too. I am not certain they have the the money to fund 'frills' like big data analysts. Up to now, that has not been a must.

This isn't new. See for example the May 2016 CEO's report where it notes that "system-wide installation to be completed by mid-2017." - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/May_31/Reports/1_Chief_Executive_Officer's_Report_May_2016_Update.pdf

So what this schedule on pg 75 shows is that they'll have all the infrastructure in place by the end of this year, and the 'full deployment' just includes the new payment options (ie. loading monthly passes, etc)?

upload_2016-9-5_22-13-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-5_22-13-4.png
    upload_2016-9-5_22-13-4.png
    115 KB · Views: 628
So what this schedule on pg 75 shows is that they'll have all the infrastructure in place by the end of this year, and the 'full deployment' just includes the new payment options (ie. loading monthly passes, etc)?

That's part of it, the other part is that only one entrance, and only some turnstiles, of each station is required (per the deadline) to be Presto-enabled by Dec 31 2016. For instance, St George station has only had it at the Bedford entrance, not at St George for years now, King hasn't had it at the Melinda St. PATH entrance, Union at the east automatic entrance or the new Brookfield Place one, and many more in the system are similarly half-or-less-done installations.

So, by the end of 2016, all subway stations will "accept" Presto, but not necessarily at all entrances, or even necessarily the main/most used ones; right now they're focused on installing faregates at every station that currently has zero Presto support. In 2017 they will move to replacing all turnstiles and automatic entrances/exits with faregates, at all points of access at all stations--only at that point will Presto actually be fully deployed. And yes, passes/etc. are the other portion of it.

This year? It says Q4 2017. Looks like typo city.

This year? It says Q4 2017. Looks like typo city.
Yeah, must be. I may not be reading the chart right, but for example it says, "Presto Installation on buses Q4 2016", but then the "on schedule" green box is actually in Q4 2017. Seems like a mistake to me.

Does anyone know what the next bus garage is that's going to get the Presto installation? Or maybe they're mid-garage right now? I find it strange that the 29 Dufferin has Presto but the 63 Ossington does not.

Does anyone know what the next bus garage is that's going to get the Presto installation? Or maybe they're mid-garage right now? I find it strange that the 29 Dufferin has Presto but the 63 Ossington does not.
Dufferin comes from Arrow Rd, Ossington from Mt Dennis. Arrow (and Queensway and Wilson) are done, Mt Dennis is not. (Neither are Eglinton, Malvern, Birchmount). Not sure which they are working on now but apparently once a bus is done it is 'turned on' so you see the occasional bus before all on a route are done.

Dufferin comes from Arrow Rd, Ossington from Mt Dennis. Arrow (and Queensway and Wilson) are done, Mt Dennis is not. (Neither are Eglinton, Malvern, Birchmount). Not sure which they are working on now but apparently once a bus is done it is 'turned on' so you see the occasional bus before all on a route are done.
Dufferin actually is based out of Wilson. Mt.Dennis and Malvern are well into installation on their buses while Eglinton and Birchmount are the last division to receive readers.

Dufferin actually is based out of Wilson. Mt.Dennis and Malvern are well into installation on their buses while Eglinton and Birchmount are the last division to receive readers.

Giving credit where due - the rollout to the bus fleet is rolling along very smoothly. We are getting closer to having the whole fleet done.

No complaints on this one.

- Paul

Giving credit where due - the rollout to the bus fleet is rolling along very smoothly. We are getting closer to having the whole fleet done.

No complaints on this one.

- Paul
Oh yeah, definitely not complaining here. They actually did the streetcars pretty fast as well. Seems like once there was the will, the actual work moved rapidly. I like that they're turning the buses on as they're done. It was annoying seeing all the readers on the streetcars but not active for so long.

There have been some PRESTO readers on streetcars and buses that didn't work at all. Would have thought that they would have gotten most of the bugs out by now.
There are always going to be some readers that don't work; the question is 'what %?" I have recently only seen one non-working reader (on a bus) but the driver told me to tap on at the rear one that was working so it was hardly a great problem. Once the installation is complete I assume the TTC will carefully monitor failure rates and keep it below whatever % they find acceptable.

The City continues to investigate using PRESTO for the Island Ferry - it makes such sense to do this as by 2017 most transit users will need Presto cards so the % of ferry customers having one will be high. Park Dept said today " I have investigated the feasibility of a PRESTO implementation for ferry ticketing and this is still under consideration as we review options. Any future project would be assessed based on priority, along with the many other projects being considered, and then scheduled accordingly." I think this is bureaucratic speak for 'very slowly".

Back