News   Jul 15, 2024
 735     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 890     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 627     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

It's not about cash locked up...it's about having control over when my credit card is charged. I use transit maybe once a month, so making the 2 minute trip to the subway station to reload usually isn't a big deal for me.
That's more frequently than I used my Presto Card in the winter, before it started to be accepted on TTC.

I'm paranoid about not wanting to find myself at a GO station, and find out there's no money on my card, have to reload, and miss my train ... and wait for 30 minutes (60 minutes back when I got my card).

Perhaps less of an issue at the subway station.

On the other hand, I kept a spare Presto card around for a long tine, just in case there was an issue. (only used it once - but great when I have guests from out-of-town!) - so perhaps I'm not normal.

It's far less cash locked up than buying a $150 metropass every month. Or even a roll of tokens. Or heck, 10 tokens these days ....
When you autoload by credit card you get free money until your bill becomes due :-D

When you autoload by credit card you get free money until your bill becomes due :-D
True. Depends how often you reload. On my wife's it's probably once a month or more, as she uses it regularly for TTC. On mine, it's probably once every 2-3 months, as it's mostly on GO, as I normally have the Metrocard (but sometime we swap). On my daughter's, it's quite infrequent, as TTC fares are free (it's very useful to open the gate for her though), and there's the very occasional GO or UP Express trip. I don't think my spare has reloaded in 2-3 years! I should probably test it and see if it still taps!

(I was quite impressed in London last month, that my 11-year old Oyster Card still worked fine - even had a few forgotten quid on it. Not that there weren't various issues in their system, that I should make a note of some day, for the grass is always greener crowd).

(I was quite impressed in London last month, that my 11-year old Oyster Card still worked fine - even had a few forgotten quid on it. Not that there weren't various issues in their system, that I should make a note of some day, for the grass is always greener crowd).
What I liked about my London trip last month is that I didn't even need an Oyster card. I just tapped my contactless Amex card and got Oyster daily capping pricing without having to buy any fare media.

I screen capped it from the online version of 24 hrs

POP TTC.jpg

Says to go to ttc.ca for more information.
But TTC.ca refers only to POP on Streetcars.

http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Proof_of_payment.jsp

I'm really trying here.

ughh..

Attachments

• POP TTC.jpg
    POP TTC.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 485
I screen capped it from the online version of 24 hrs

View attachment 105629

Says to go to ttc.ca for more information.
But TTC.ca refers only to POP on Streetcars.

http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Proof_of_payment.jsp

I'm really trying here.

ughh..

I interpret "at a subway station" as meaning when you're getting off a bus/streetcar at a station's vehicle loop.

At the end of the day, TTC By-Law No. 1 does not require you to have POP while on the subway. "You may be asked to show POP" does not mean "you are required by law to have POP or you may be fined".

If a fare inspector has an issue with me not showing POP on the subway, they're welcome to take it up with the courts.

What I liked about my London trip last month is that I didn't even need an Oyster card. I just tapped my contactless Amex card and got Oyster daily capping pricing without having to buy any fare media.
Yeah, that didn't even cross my mind until I saw someone using a card. I didn't see very many people using them. One day. Though should be active here pretty soon too - it's a few years now since Presto was trialling them at some downtown subway stations.

Though apparently some Canadian Visa and Mastercards aren't working yet - so perhaps for the best. My RBC Visa worked on the M6 Toll though. (I was really shocked when hit the toll plaza - it never crossed my mind anyone would build a toll plaza these days ... I assumed I'd have to go online to pay, or get a bill from the car rental. It was a last minute change of plan on which way to drive, because of lateness and congestion - so I hadn't read up on it at all).

Yeah, that didn't even cross my mind until I saw someone using a card. I didn't see very many people using them. One day. Though should be active here pretty soon too - it's a few years now since Presto was trialling them at some downtown subway stations.
Most residents in London probably still use Oyster vs. Contactless because Oyster supports cheaper monthly and annual passes, while Contactless only supports up to weekly capping.

Most residents in London probably still use Oyster vs. Contactless because Oyster supports cheaper monthly and annual passes, while Contactless only supports up to weekly capping.
Ah.

I can certainly see the advantage for pay as you go - especially as a visitor. Especially with the very poor reload options with Oyster compared to Presto. (not only do the have the 24-hour wait thing online, but you have to tell them which station you'll be tapping on at to get your load! - which isn't as bad as Montreal, where you actually - get this - actually have to buy a card writer to plug into your PC, that loads your card ... really). Auto reload is similar there now though - though for some bizarre reason, if you only use buses, you are screwed, as you must tap on (and off) a tube station to activate it.

But in the long-term - I do see how contactless credit/debit cards (London isn't clear about whether you can use debit cards or not) could quite well replace cards like Oyster and Presto - assuming they can negotiate decent rates with the card companies (hmm, I wonder if that's why some Canada/USA cards don't work ...)

I am really surprised that staff are supporting that recommendation - an increase from 2% to 9%, in spite of projected increases in ridership (hence more revenue from the same infrastructure).....plus $10M-$20M in capital....for an installation that is in fully functional state already.

With all the other things that Councillors balk at in the world of transit, how they will swallow hard and accept this one is beyond me.

- Paul

Does anyone know if presto website will be adding visa Checkout, masterpass, ApplePay and androidpay to load money onto our cards. When I asked presto they said they were working on mobile solutions obviously they know nothing because adding different payments options for their website has nothing to do with mobile

It's coming at some point. In the December 2016 board meeting at Metrolinx, they indicated that open payment would rollout in 2017 - but I haven't heard mention since, so maybe 2018? They were testing this on some of the TTC devices at a couple of stations, a while back.

Does anyone know if presto website will be adding visa Checkout, masterpass, ApplePay and androidpay to load money onto our cards. When I asked presto they said they were working on mobile solutions obviously they know nothing because adding different payments options for their website has nothing to do with mobile
I think they are looking at just doing a mobile version of the preto card that you can use on any device. The TTC is looking to implement mobile payment from apple pay and RFID credit/ Debit cards for their system the rest of the presto users it's unknown at this point. Alos as far as I know Android Pay isn't available in Canada yet and Apple pay hasn't relly take off much outside of the US.

Back