News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 426     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Apparently transfering from Streetcar to Subway at Union has a hidden benefit if its a quick trip:

presto.PNG

I had something similar the other day. I was at Bay and Queen's Quay, took the 509 one stop to Union having tapped on it, subway up to Queen, then subway back down to Union a few minutes later (had to grab something); it was all one fare. My understanding is if, say, I'd boarded the subway at Union tapping there then tapped at Queen for the return trip, the no-double-tap-on-same-route exclusion rule would apply and it would have been counted as 2 trips. So I got $5.80 of travel for $2.90.

The current Presto transfer table is very nifty--the amount of work required to plan a route that gets around the exclusion rule, to make it work as a 2 hour transfer, is minimal.

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 612
Last weekend, I took the GO train to Danforth and walked up to Main Street subway station. I dug a token out of my pocket in preparation.

Upon entering, I was confronted by a white hoarding around the fare-gate area with two signs on it pointing to entrances at left and right.

Left was the collector's booth with a lineup. I went right, expecting to find a TTC staff member around the corner with a farebox and an expectant look.

To my surprise, I simply walked directly into the fare-paid area.

I wonder how many other people discovered this...

For the LFLRVs if there are 4 readers and one is down, passengers are required to use one of the other 3.
They used to have at least 6 with them on both sides of the double doors - not sure about the smaller doors.

Even with CLRVs having 2, you can use the other one.
Given the increasing frequency, I'm seeing one down, and that these are still new - there are going to be times they are both down.

But even if they aren't ... in rush hour, there's plenty of times you can't even move out of the door - how do you suggest people walk down to the other end of the streetcar? It's not like they can go outside.

Currently the TTC's policy is that is Presto is down you have to pay your fare another way.
What's your source for that. Customer service when asked this question, said to tap later if you can. And we've seen examples above where driver's have just said it's free - of course, they won't be giving you a transfer.

Apparently transfering from Streetcar to Subway at Union has a hidden benefit if its a quick trip:

presto.PNG
If the return trip is identical, then this will get caught next year when they implement the new requirement to tap onto each bus or streetcar in the fare-paid area. Though if your trip up is on a 510, and your trip down is on a 509, then you'll still get away with it.

Lots of ways to turn 2 different trips into one fare - though there were some ways of doing it previously if you refreshed your transfer when you entered the subway station (which is a bylaw violation, but I doubt anyone ever got charged for it).

They used to have at least 6 with them on both sides of the double doors - not sure about the smaller doors.

Given the increasing frequency, I'm seeing one down, and that these are still new - there are going to be times they are both down.

But even if they aren't ... in rush hour, there's plenty of times you can't even move out of the door - how do you suggest people walk down to the other end of the streetcar? It's not like they can go outside.

What's your source for that. Customer service when asked this question, said to tap later if you can. And we've seen examples above where driver's have just said it's free - of course, they won't be giving you a transfer.

Quite right that there are 6 on the LFLRVs, my mistake - yes, two at each double door+one at each single.

I've asked TTC customer service previously and been told "customers are expected to pay their fare with cash/tickets/tokens when Presto is unavailable" referring to streetcars with broken readers - I have seen their other responses that indicate differently, but the majority of what I've seen from them, and what I've heard from a couple of drivers to passengers when a car I was on had its readers down (I've noticed that for some reason, it appears common on ALRVs - I've never been on a CLRV with both out of order but have been on two or three 510 ALRVs with all three readers down since January 1st), indicate you still have to pay.

I guess they could stand to clarify that policy. I would imagine that TTC upper management/the board, rather than the twitter/phone CS employees, would not endorse a policy of "tap later if you can" at this stage due to concern over lost fare revenue (not impossible, but I doubt it). Might write an e-mail one of these days, possibly through my city councillor, as it's definitely an important issue now - yet alone when Presto replaces tickets/tokens/passes...

For comparison I have seen GO customer service on twitter say that if all readers at a train station are down (obviously due to a more severe local electrical/network, or backend, problem rather than simultaneous problems affecting the dozen+ individual readers usually present) passengers do not need to pay their fare alternately and will not be ticketed, however I have seen customers tweet to GO that in such situations they followed those instructions and were given a warning or fine by inspectors.

Much bigger issue with Presto/POP than tickets/tokens/cash/passes collected/checked by the driver where I'd imagine "nonfunctional fare collection equipment" to be pretty much a non-issue.

Edit: also, now that more and more fare collection equipment is moving to automated, this conversation is larger than Presto. What about collector booths when the credit/debit machine is down and somebody doesn't have change? What about once CLRVs/ALRVs are gone, what if both LFLRV SRVM ticket machines are down at the same time (I have seen it happen even now)? Or if not fully down, the credit/debit readers on those go down in the car due to a loss of network connection, and someone expects to pay by card? How about when the TTC gets rid of collector booths and presumably deploys some kind of SRVM-like automated kiosk in subway stations? It'll be interesting to see what the TTC decides for each of these contingencies.

Last edited:
If the return trip is identical, then this will get caught next year when they implement the new requirement to tap onto each bus or streetcar in the fare-paid area. Though if your trip up is on a 510, and your trip down is on a 509, then you'll still get away with it.

Lots of ways to turn 2 different trips into one fare - though there were some ways of doing it previously if you refreshed your transfer when you entered the subway station (which is a bylaw violation, but I doubt anyone ever got charged for it).

Thats interesting - as I have attempted to tap the streetcar at Union when it first launched. The machine will say accepted, however the tap never appeared on the presto account.

Thats interesting - as I have attempted to tap the streetcar at Union when it first launched. The machine will say accepted, however the tap never appeared on the presto account.
Perhaps just a fluke. I've had a couple of taps in the last 2 months that never showed up at all - though the charge went through; but neither were transfers ... but both had following transfers.

I've had the odd GO tap over the years that I got charged for, but never showed up on the account.

Main Street Faregates are installed!
Looking at the photo, they aren't installed, just dropped off. Particularly as that photo is from the middle of the station looking north towards the bus platforms - not near the entrance.

Note the Metropass Sliders on the right most faregate.
I assume then that they'll stick one in most stations until they get rid of passes, and then change it to Presto. I see 7 faregates there - but two are backwards. 5 clearly have Presto, one has Metropass - but I can't see what the other has.

It's interesting to see that they are only readers to tap in, not tap out - but presumably they can be easily modifired.

Thanks for posting this!

They seem to be taking the approach of tacking the stations that should have been part of the first wave (either being downtown or with streetcar service), Main, Bay, Sherbourne, Wellesley, St. Clair. St. Clair West, and then moving along to do the rest starting with Bloor - perhaps because the Queensway garage is up first for buses. I wonder what garage is up second.

From the TTC website at this link:

Station — Construction beginsPRESTO available
Bay March 18 Early May
Sherbourne March 18 Early May
Wellesley March 18 Early May
St Clair April 8 Late May
St Clair West April 8 Late May
Landsdowne April 8 Late May
Dupont April 8 Late May
Dufferin April 22 Early June
Runnymede April 29 Mid June
Old Mill April 29 Mid June
Royal York May 6 Late June
Jane May 13 Late June
High Park May 13 Late June
Christie May 13 Late June

*Dates subject to change

Last edited:
Main Street Faregates are being installed!
Note the Metropass Sliders on the right most faregate.

From Twitter:
Check out @Transit30326's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Transit30326/status/706149278713036800?s=09View attachment 69109

Those weren't there this evening when I came through Main Street. I saw a large number of contractors inside of the hording and also one stationed outside. I saw the door open briefly as one or two went in but couldn't get a good look. My guess would be either tomorrow or Monday they will be open to the public

Back